FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM - Using DVEs to deploy lower third graphics

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Haggard
ATEM - Using DVEs to deploy lower third graphics
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:26:07 pm

I am working with the ATEM-1 for sports broadcasting. I am trying to come up with a way to transition in lowerthird graphics.

The only method I have worked out how to do it is placing the same input on the preview and program stream, linking the media player with the graphic to a key and then performing a 'wipe' to reveal the graphic.

This doesn't look great however and I'd prefer to use something like a DVE 'push' to bring the graphic in. Obviously when I try this with the above method it results in the whole frame getting pushed in.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Justin Moy
Re: ATEM - Using DVEs to deploy lower third graphics
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:58:53 am

I don't believe there's a way to do this with the DVE transition.

Here's two options that you could go for:

1. If you're happy with the Lower Third simply fading in, chuck it in a Media Player and set the Downstream Key 1 to the repsective Media Player and Media Player Key. You can change the rate that the DSK comes in, then hit On Air in the DSK controls when you want the lower third to fade in.

2. If you want the Lower Third to "push in" then "push out" for example, you will have to set it up in Photoshop as an Animation. Animations are really quick n easy to setup in PS with keyframes. Once set up as you wish, export it as a TGA sequence and then import the TGAs into a Clip Pool on the ATEM 1 M/E. A pool can have a maximum of 180 frames, which should be sufficient for quick lower thirds. 0.5 seconds for the push in, 5 seconds on display, then 0.5 seconds for the push out (slightly more if you're working in 50i @ 25fps). It is important that the first and last frames are black/null.

Now, set the DSK to Fill Media Player 1 and Key as Media Player 1 Key and in the DSK controls, set it to On Air. Since the first frame of the sequence is empty, nothing will be dispalyed.

Now that you've "primed" the lower third, simply hit the Play button on the Media Player control when you want the sequence to appear On Air. It will appear exactly as you set the animation in Photoshop.

Justin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]