FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Quad storage question

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Perchert
Decklink Quad storage question
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:39:38 pm

Looking at a Decklink Quad to record 4 HD streams. Not sure what we'll be capturing yet - ProRes, DVCPRO HD, or some other codec. But I am wondering what is recommended as far as storage. Looking at an 8-bay external miniSAS RAID-5 array for capture (FastMax FX-8 or Maxx Digital 8-bay), but will be capturing for 1 - 1.5 hours at a time. Are there any recommendations for this sort of capture?
Thanks!
TC

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Decklink Quad storage question
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:57:42 pm

I assume that if I am capturing 50mbps HD footage, that that will come to 200mbps throughput needed, but I also assume there has to be plenty of overhead with 4 streams going to a single array. Thus the previous question. I need to know that after 1 hour I won't be dropping frames because the array can't sustain that rate for that long. This will go into a new MacPro. Which reminds me as well - would quad core be sufficient, or is it best to beef the cpu's more? To say 8 cores. I assume 12 cores would be overkill for a capture machine, which is what this basically will be.
Thanks!
TC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27:59 pm

Softron, who makes the software to capture 4 streams at once with the Decklink Quad
recommends using a 12 core with 16 Gig RAM

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Mar 26, 2012 at 2:02:26 pm

Thanks Bob! So storage not so much an issue as the computer. I'm guessing the units I'm looking into will do fine then. They should handle up to 500mbps write with no problems - hopefully they can sustain that write time with 4 streams after an hour.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]