FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Extreme Dropped Frames issue

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Luksa
Intensity Extreme Dropped Frames issue
on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:12:18 am

I just bought the Intensity Extreme from Blackmagic. It's great, Media Express is great. I'm just having one issue. When I capture into my iMac, video is very choppy, from dropped frames. I tried to change the Capture File Format from QuickTime Uncompress 8-bit YUV, but I don't have any other formats available. My friend has an Intensity Pro with plenty of formats, ProRes, etc.

How can I get these extra formats? I'd like to use QuickTime Apple ProRes 422 to fix the dropped frame rate issue, unless you guys have a better suggestion?

Return to posts index

Danny Luksa
Re: Intensity Extreme Dropped Frames issue
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:52:41 am

--UPDATE--

The video's frame rate only drops while recording. During preview, it's fine. Maybe that'll help?

Return to posts index

Justin Moy
on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:03:06 am

Download & install Final Cut Pro X trial: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

Download & install ProApps QuickTime codecs: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

Do not worry about the FCPX trial running out, it is just needed to install the codecs that will continue to be available after it runs out or you delete FCPX trial.

You are getting dropped frames because you most likely do not have an SSD in your iMac and single 7200rpm SATA drives cannot capture uncompressed HD video.

Return to posts index

Danny Luksa
on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:37:35 am

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it.

I'll definitely download those codecs. Thanks for supplying the links!

Also, I find it hard to believe that I need an SSD to capture uncompressed 720p. Every Intensity user that I've talked to says that they capture to a regular HDD just fine. I don't think I'll have to worry.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

Justin Moy
on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:56:09 am

You can use Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app to give you a rough idea if your hard drive can handle uncompressed.

There are few benefits of recording uncompressed over ProRes 422 for example, but I'd rather not get into a debate on that.

ProRes will be sufficient for 90% of users.

Return to posts index

Danny Luksa
on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:07:23 am

No problem. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:42:13 pm

What kind of external drive are you using to capture? Internal drive isn't going to cut it for most things. Try at least an external FW800. A thunderbolt Pegasus Promise raid will really do the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]