FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Streaming with ATEM Television Studio and recorder

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Burrows
Video Streaming with ATEM Television Studio and recorder
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:09:19 pm

Hi!

We are about to start streaming video in our studio. Nowadays we use an ATEM Television Studio, a SSD recorder, and an "AES/EBU and Analog Audio". We use a Panasonic P2 videocamera 171E that sends its video signal throught an SDI wire. But we are not sure about the possibility of reaching that aim with this equipment.

Do you think that this is enought to provide video streaming?

How?

Thanks a lot in advance

Return to posts index

Mathieu Marano
Re: Video Streaming with ATEM Television Studio and recorder
on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:31:34 pm

Where do you want to stream? On the web, on a network, on a tv?

If your Pana cam has SDI you have to conver it to HDMI to feed the Atem Television Studio as it only has HDMI in.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

Charles Burrows
on Mar 16, 2012 at 1:25:37 pm

Well, It seems possible although I have some remaining questions:

If you connect the Panasonic P2 to the ATS through a SDI cable, you obtain only video signal, no sound. To get that sound it's compulsory to use a sound mixer table with microphone entries and a miniConverter Audio to SDI, we use one from BlackMagic. From this converter, an SDI wire goes into the recorder, where two SSD hard drives record the video and audio signal into a .mov file.

So:

First: -If we can use the ATS for video streaming we will have no sound.

Second: ¿How do we connect the ATS to the internet? It is not possible, because the ADSL connection it has is used by the computer to control the card.

Third: There is no way to send the information from the ATS to the computer directly. The only chance to do that is to use a Dock Station to get the info recorded into the SSD.

A possible solution would be, perhaps, to buy a videocapture card to get the output signal from the recorder and send it through internet.

¿Do you think that this explanation is ok?¿Everything is true?¿It is possible to get the video and audio information directly to the ATS and stream it directly from the card?

Return to posts index

Matthew Galvin
on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:27:57 am

Check the connection diagrams here - HD/SDI and HDMI input.
http://blackmagic-design.com/products/atemtelevisionstudio/

Return to posts index

Mathieu Marano
on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:31:54 pm

Where do you want to stream? On the web, on a network, on a tv?

If your Pana cam has SDI you have to conver it to HDMI to feed the Atem Television Studio as it only has HDMI in.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:43:07 am

Sorry Mathieu,

that is not correct. The ATEM Television Studio has 6 inputs. 2 are shared between HDMI/SDI and 4 are SDI only.

You can indeed stream with the ATEM Television Studio because it has a built in H264 encoder. But you would have to use 2nd party software to do that like FFMPEG ore VLC.

Have a look here:
http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/livestream-a...

there are some examples on how to stream directly to the internet using the H264 stream of the ATVS.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Charles Burrows
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:15:53 am

Well, It seems possible although I have some remaining questions:

If you connect the Panasonic P2 to the ATS through a SDI cable, you obtain only video signal, no sound. To get that sound it's compulsory to use a sound mixer table with microphone entries and a miniConverter Audio to SDI, we use one from BlackMagic. From this converter, an SDI wire goes into the recorder, where two SSD hard drives record the video and audio signal into a .mov file.

So:

First: -If we can use the ATS for video streaming we will have no sound.

Second: ¿How do we connect the ATS to the internet? It is not possible, because the ADSL connection it has is used by the computer to control the card.

Third: There is no way to send the information from the ATS to the computer directly. The only chance to do that is to use a Dock Station to get the info recorded into the SSD.

A possible solution would be, perhaps, to buy a videocapture card to get the output signal from the recorder and send it through internet.

¿Do you think that this explanation is ok?¿Everything is true?¿It is possible to get the video and audio information directly to the ATS and stream it directly from the card?

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:25:54 am

The ATEM TVS is a vision mixer, not an audio mixer. Of course it will strip the embedded audio on the SDI sources, everything else would have made a heck of a mess.

The USB H.264 encoding is not for live streaming, it is for capturing a H.264 master file of the production that will be ready for upload instantly. To get audio in the H.264 recording, you have to feed the ATEM with an audio signal via AES/EBU from your audio mixer, either directly if it has digital outputs, or via an A/D converter. Still, do check the link that someone provided earlier in this thread, as there was a solution for live streaming from the ATEM TVS USB.

The way the USB recording work, is you hook the ATEM TVS up to a dedicated computer running the Media Express software.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:29:33 pm

This thread is accumulating a number of incorrect statements, so here's some background to try and clear up what the ATEM TVS does:

1) The unit has four SDI input connections and four HDMI input connections; you have access to six, of which two are always SDI, two are always HDMI, and the last two may be either SDI or HDMI. So if you need six SDI inputs, you will need two outboard SDI to HDMI converters.

2) The ATEM does not perform format conversions on the inputs; you need to set the ATEM to your desired program format (e.g., 720p, 1080i) and then ensure that every source matches that format -- either by properly configuring the source, or by passing it through something like the Up/Down/Cross converter. A source that doesn't match the switcher format simply won't appear -- you'll get only black.

3) Embedded audio in a source feed does not pass through the ATEM.

4) The ATEM does have an unbalanced (BNC) AES audio input, which gets embedded into both the SDI and HDMI program outputs, and is encoded with the H.264 feed. To use this, you need an outboard audio mixer with an AES output, or a mixer with an analog output that is converted to AES.

5) The H.264 encoding is used solely to feed Blackmagic's recording solution; it is not useful for live streaming. You will need some other device to take in the program feed and encode it for web streaming.

Hope this helps clear things up!

Regards,

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:41:54 pm

Okay, I missed one point in the thread I meant to cover:

If you have embedded audio in one or more of your SDI sources that needs to be mixed, you will need a de-embedder; either the Blackmagic SDI to Audio converter or the Blackmagic SDI to Analog converter could work, though there are some differences. (The product cited in the thread is a different product that accomplishes the opposite function, embedding audio into the video).

Typically, your embedded SDI feed would hit the converter, and the Loop SDI Out would continue on to feed the ATEM. The converter's audio output would go to your audio mixer.

Which miniconverter you choose would be based on what your audio mixer needs:

• If you only need analog feeds from the first stereo pair, the SDI to Analog converter will work just fine, and costs less ($295 list). It also provides analog video output, which you probably won't use.

• If you need more than one stereo pair, or if your audio mixer needs AES rather than analog audio feeds, you need to use the SDI to Audio converter ($495 list).

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Richard Freemantle
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:30:22 pm

Hi Jeff,

Re: Point 5.

The H.264 Encoder in the ATEM Television Studio CAN be used for live streaming, when attached to a PC/MAC.

The built in hardware h264 encoder is reasonably capable, its just that the software (Media Express) doesn't give the user full access to it & only supports recording.

As mentioned earlier in this thread there are scripts for the mac. For PC users there is http://www.mxlight.co.uk .

Thanks
Richard Freemantle

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:42:31 pm

Thanks, Richard -- I haven't explored alternative software, and should have been more careful to state up front that my observations or recommendations are based strictly upon personal hands-on experience and on functionality that is directly supported by Blackmagic. Having said that, I should check out the software you refer to, as it could be very helpful for an application of mine.

Appreciate the heads-up!

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:49:45 pm

A quick note: I get a 404 error by clicking the "buy" link on your web site.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Richard Freemantle
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:38:07 pm

Hope you find MX Light useful & thanks for the heads up re the website. Shop is now back up & running!

Return to posts index

Graham Spice
on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:42:34 pm

This is a good thread, thanks for setting all the information straight near the end.

Ideally, I'd like to utilize 3 fixed cameras and 1 pan/tilt/zoom cameras and live switch the event. Here's a workflow I've been looking at, let me know what you think:
  • Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio switcher ->
  • Blackmagic Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt ->
  • MBP with Thunderbolt running streaming server software (Livestream, ustream, FMLE, Telestream Wirecast, etc) ->
  • streaming service (Livestream, ustream, justin.tv, etc)
Do you think I could use the same MBP to switch the ATEM TV Studio live and run the streaming software, also? I have a recent MBP 2.6GHz i7 with 8GB of RAM and Thunderbolt. Maybe it would be easier to have these two apps running on different machines...not sure about this.

I'm leaning towards the Wirecast program as it seems to receive pretty solid reviews compared to the software provided by the streaming services.

Anyone have any opinions on the softwares mentioned in the 3rd step or the services mentioned in the last step? I'm open to other suggestions, of course. Even though I couldn't afford it, I'd love to hear what equipment the companies use that are streaming the major music festivals like Bonnaroo and Coachella...

Return to posts index

Richard chin
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:57:05 pm

I just set a system up with 4 fully remote cameras using ATEM tv studio.

It beats my tricaster system hands down

Will post video of the setup next week

Return to posts index

Bryon Stout
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:25:41 pm

Hey Richard. I am about to do the same thing. I will be buying the following

4 replay XD 1080 cams > ATEM > intensity extreme > macbook pro > Wirecast

Would love to hear your thoughts on your setup.

Return to posts index

Matt Foote
on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:29:31 am

I'm currently the Media Director for an online Culinary Academy that uses almost this exact setup. The one thing we don't use is Wirecast. I also run the switching software on the same MBP that we use to stream to uStream. We nave not had any issues at all with this setup.

I am curious to hear if anyone has any advice on what software would work well to run on a second computer going into one of the HDMI Inputs on the ATS for videos, graphic lower thirds, etc.

Return to posts index

Neil Waller
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:51:38 am

Is anyone then using the MBP to do the switching off the BMD ATEM television studio whilst streaming using wirecast pro software?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 18, 2013 at 6:28:31 pm

Graham, Did you get your BMD streaming studio up and running. How is it? Problems? I am leaning on getting an all BMD Me1 solution for our streaming upgrade. Price point is the consideration. So BMD still trumps Tricaster at the under 10K ceiling. Tell me your story.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Graham Spice
on May 18, 2013 at 8:03:10 pm

I have not gotten the approval to purchase any of this. I haven't seen anything released since that post that would change the equipment or software...have you? I am still hoping to implement something like this but expect the budget is 1+ years away...

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on May 18, 2013 at 8:19:49 pm

Graham,

Sorry about your budget. I have an approved budget, just not huge, like Tricaster 8,000 huge.

I am Mac based, FCP guy with 4 HD-SDI cameras that I need to switch on-location and feed the web.

I own two current MacLaptops and a two month window to get the system up and running for the client.

I am trying to find current knowledge on the BMD ATEM Switcher series and what it takes to make it work. The forums and blogs read like the last 6 months did not exist for BMD switchers. What a great current topic for all the bloggers BMD ATEM Today.

What would your web video broadcasting system order form look like today? Maybe we can get a survey started.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]