FORUMS: list search recent posts

Control two ATEM from a single computer?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Crowley
Control two ATEM from a single computer?
on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:00:37 am

Can this be done? I am proposing a configuration that uses two ATEM TVS switchers (one feeding into the next). Could I control both of them from a single computer? I presume that I can set up the two switchers with different IP addresses, etc. But will two instances of the control application operate concurrently? I seem to be able to open two instances of the control software, but I don't have two ATEM systems to experiment with.

I presume also that I can write a custom control application that would be able to control both switchers from a single window (using the API).

I know someone will ask: The reasons I am proposing two TVS systems (vs a 1M/E system, for example) include:
1) Better flexibility between HDMI and SDI inputs.
2) Ability to use the two TVS units separately for other applications.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
Re: Control two ATEM from a single computer?
on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:21:58 am

I doubt two TVS's could be controlled from 1 PC, even though they'll have different IP addresses, just because of the single instance of the software itself.

I'd suggest using two PC's, this could easily be done on the same network.

Return to posts index

Carlos Morales
on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:47:22 am

From my experience you can't drive both with a single operating system. However, you could install a virtual machine and then run 1 copy of the ATEM software in the virtual machine and one on the host OS.

We have an ATEM 1 and an ATEM TV Studio have successfully been able to control them using this approach with VirtualBox. However, we prefer just running two independent laptops.

carlos

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:13:06 pm

I tried this very thing, and with the possible exception of Carlos' suggestion, the answer is no. With the Windows version, the problem is that the software stores the switcher's IP address in the registry, so there's no way to distinguish between several instances of the application. This is unfortunate; it would have been really handy to have the option to add the target switcher's IP address in the application shortcut.

On the other hand, you can have several different computers simultaneously controlling the same ATEM. Once you get past the cheap thrill of moving the fader on one machine and watching it move on the other, there is a very practical purpose: while one person is actually switching on the main page, a second person on a different computer can be uploading graphics and controlling what's in each media player channel.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]