FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI - HDMI Converter

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Marques
HD-SDI - HDMI Converter
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:13:06 am

On to another problem.

I have the HD-SDI - HDMI converter being used to send HDMI to a monitor for simple preview for a Sony BRC-Z700 PTZ camera (w/ HD-SDI card sending 1080i).

Now, I used an HDMI to DVI cable and connected to a Dell P2212H monitor. This monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1080, optimal at 60Hz. But when I connect, I get nothing. Connecting to a Samsung UN19D4003 TV works fine, but display quality is inferior.

So, it seems impossible to look at tech specs anymore and determine what will and won't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really love Dell monitors for their picture and build quality. The height adjustable stands are a huge plus.

Anyone have ideas?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD-SDI - HDMI Converter
on Mar 12, 2012 at 6:52:46 pm

the Dell P2212H does not have an HDMI cable input. You are using a HDMI to DVI cable - I blame this cable.

How about getting a nice new under $200 Dell monitor (the 2212H is $179) that has a native HDMI input - and I bet you everything works perfectly.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:53:45 pm

It's always been my general understanding that you can go computer DVI to a TV HDMI pretty easily because the TV will support progressive no problem. And you can go HDMI from a computer graphics card to HDMI on a TV OR computer monitor HDMI as well because the HDMI is really just a connection type. But when you start going HDMI from an Ultrastudio or Extreme or other video production peripheral, then you've definitely confused things. It could be outputting 1080i (even when you've selected 1080p) and the computer monitor might not know what to do with that obviously.

Before I got the Intensity Extreme, I was hooking my iMac a couple ways. I was using my Dell monitor with HDMI input from the TB port with a Display Port to HDMI cable for a second monitor. It didn't always work. There was always a few settings to tweak. And I also sent the same cable to my Vizio for video monitoring so the client had something big to look at. Eventually I had to hook up the Matrox via an thunderbolt adapter before we finished the project because DVI to HDMI TV is the wrong gamma and super juddery. BlackMagic's intensity extreme delay of nearly 3 months cost me $200. Who do I talk to about that? Oh, and a $15 MDP to HDMI cable. :)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:04:31 am

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I found that the HDMI output from my cheap, plastic VAIO notebook PC works perfectly (via an adapter plug) into the DVI input on my Panasonic AW-HS50 digital switcher/SEG.

I hope to be able to use the HDMI inputs on an ATEM TVS from computer video output ports in a similar way.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:33:43 am

Richard - how about sync to other inputs ?
Does the panasonic sync automatic?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:10:49 pm

I would think that ALL digital video switchers (including BMD's and everyone else's) effectively have frame-sync functionality for each input. It is simply the nature of the digital realm that incoming frames are buffered in the logic and then played out "in sync".

Apparently some switchers (like the Panasonic) also handle size/rate conversion "on the fly", while others (notably BMD) require that all the inputs are the same format. But none of them require "gen-lock" as was customary back in the analog days.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:19:51 am

Thanks.
I have seen mixers where the SDI inputs were synced but the DVI was not. Thanks for clarifying.

Return to posts index

Thomas Levitt
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:15:58 pm

Actualy the vast majority of digital production switchers will not have frame syncs on the inputs, and will require a reference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]