FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve Lite (Win) won't import DNxHD MOV files.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Bloomfield
DaVinci Resolve Lite (Win) won't import DNxHD MOV files.
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:59:18 am

I have been using the DaVinci Resolve Lite 8.2 beta 4 for Windows for about 2 weeks now. Resolve works fine, though and has no problem importing any QT files, except Hyperdeck Shuttle DNxHD. It also imports the DNxHD MXF files fine. I have version 2.37 of the Avid LE codec installed. QT Player, Premiere Pro CS5.5 Adobe bridge, mocha and Vegas Pro 11 all have no trouble reading the DNxHD MOV files, but After Effects CS5.5 throws a related error, "unsupported format", just with the Hyperdeck MOV files (DNxHD MOV files created by other software such as AME work fine). There have been no recent QT updates from Apple and the QT version that I have installed is 7.7.1. If no one else has seen this issue, I will file a ticket with BMD.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite (Win) won't import DNxHD MOV files.
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:52:36 pm

Jay, this should probably be posted in the DaVinci forum. But you are correct, DNxHD in a QT wrapper is not supported by DaVinci.

Resolve doesn't not support just any QT codec. It only has support for specific codecs. Here is a list of supported codec and wrappers:

http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2588311/davinci_resolve_8.2_supported_co...

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Mar 4, 2012 at 11:13:17 pm

Thanks, I figured it was something like that, although it is odd that Resolve won't open the Shuttle's own MOV files, but Cineform and others are fine.

The reason that I posted it here was that the Shuttle 2 DNxHD MOV files also don't open properly in AE CS5.5, even though AE has no problem with other DNxHD MOV files. I'm guessing that it must have something to do with the 16 audio tracks, because both PPro and AE CS5 (not CS5.5) will not open the Shuttle's DNxHD MOV files for that reason. That problem has been posted on various Adobe message boards.

Return to posts index

Gerald Miranda
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:41:00 pm

Jay, I have problems with NDxHD MOV too. I can't import into AE CS5.5. However, I could import the NDxHD into AE CS3 to later open the AE CS3 project into AE CS5.5. Do you know what do I need to do to use the Dynamic link directly from Premiere pro cs5.5? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Jul 31, 2012 at 7:47:47 pm

If you search this forum, you will find a few other threads about this issue, which BTW was fixed in Premiere CS6 and CS5.5 (with the most recent update). If you can't get the MOV files to open, just turn off the audio in the import settings. The files will then import properly.

Also, I haven't tried the new Resolve 9 beta, but you could download and install that and see it will read DNxHD MOV files directly.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:07:05 pm

Resolve v9 does support DNxHD in qt files!

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

choong jasmine
on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:42:36 am

Hi, I have a issue is I can't import any files in davinci resolve, I'm very new in this software. May I know how can I fix this? I try to import jpg,tiff,mov etc. But all become empty file when I try to import, I'm using windows7 with davinci resolve 10.

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]