FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Extreme with 2 Thunderbolt ports?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Halper
Intensity Extreme with 2 Thunderbolt ports?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 9:54:36 am

Hopefully someone at Blackmagic can answer this or at least see it and consider it a suggestion and request.

I find any Thunderbolt peripheral or device that has only 1 Thunderbolt port to be rather useless. The reason for this is that I need a 2nd Thunderbolt port even on the last TB device in the chain in order to run the second display on my computer. I use a 17" Macbook Pro and a 22" monitor for a 2nd display. I'd like to get an Intensity Extreme, but if I were to use that I would not be able to use my 22" monitor as a 2nd display. I know about the expanded desktop feature, but I want to have 2 desktops for dual screen editing, plus monitoring the program on a 3rd display, TV, or monitor. This is how pro editors have worked for a long time and single Thunderbolt port devices like the Intensity Extreme break that. And the Apple Thunderbolt Display is not an option mostly because of the gloss screen.

So does BMD plan on coming out with an Intensity Extreme with 2 TB ports?

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Intensity Extreme with 2 Thunderbolt ports?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15:55 pm

Its definitely made as an "end of the chain" device. Even the higher end TB box they have has only one port, and i think AJA's is the only i/o thunderbolt box available with 2 ports.

I have mine hooked up to a 27inch Imac with the following config.

TB port one has my asus 27 inch moniter connected via mini display to hdmi

Port 2 has a Lacie little big disk thunderbolt drive, with the extreme daisy chained to it. Works great, but yes, if i plan on keeping the Asus 27inch, my expandability is pretty much maxed, unless i get another drive with pass through.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:06:30 pm

Yes, I know it's an end-of-the-chain device and I know how to hook up daisy-chained devices and how the Intensity Extreme is supposed to be used. The point of my post is that the fact that the Intensity Extremeis an end-of-the-chain device makes it useless for me, and I imagine for a lot of other people. AJA seems to have no problem making the Io XT with an extra TB port for daisy-chaining, so I don't see why no one else can. I'd get the Io XT except that it has a lot more connections than I actually need which makes it a lot more expensive and it doesn't work with Resolve.

Return to posts index

Robert Lindqvist
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:09:40 am

According to this http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/17794/where-can-i-get-a-thunderbol... we will see things like splitters this summer. Just a couple of months ahead. Hang in there Mike.

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:42:02 am

Read the info on those products more carefully. They are hubs for USB, Firewire, and Ethernet. They don't give you additional Thunderbolt ports. The Belkin has only one Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining. The mLogc does not have any Thunderbolt ports at all. And there's no mention of any splitters, which likely is not possible. It's up to the manufacturers of Thunderbolt devices, such as Blackmagic Design, to include an additional Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:14:35 am

Hi Mike,

We don't comment on any future product development but thanks for your feedback. I'll certainly pass this on to the rest of the company.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Axel Dettoni
on May 30, 2013 at 11:52:03 pm

Please do....we are many with same problem. Thunderbolt daisy chain will do for costumers using lap top.. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]