FORUMS: list search recent posts

OpenGear Software 1.8.2 -- what does it actually do?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Hartman
OpenGear Software 1.8.2 -- what does it actually do?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:50:41 pm

I've been checking BMD's web site daily for several months now, waiting for a software revision to fix captioning problems with our OpenGear Up-Down-Cross converter cards. Imagine my excitement to see version 1.8.2 appear today!

Now imagine my intense frustration after downloading and installing the software, only to find that not only does it not fix the problem... the new drivers don't recognize the card as a USB device, and the manual doesn't mention that the card even exists.

Why on earth would the support section of the web site show a software revision for a product for which the revision does not apply? And what it is going to take to get this card supported? I really dislike having several thousand dollars of hardware gathering dust because it won't pass a very basic, FCC-required piece of metadata. And I especially dislike having to waste my time to constantly search for fixes to something that shouldn't have to be fixed in the first place.

(signed) Steamed in Syracuse

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
Re: OpenGear Software 1.8.2 -- what does it actually do?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:26:48 pm

Well, firstly, the OpenGear Converter software applies to all of the converters. When they update the code for one, it automagically updates the download for all of them. Did they do something for the UpDownCross? No, probably not.

The readme states "General performance and stability improvements", which is vague at best. Improvement to the converter software or for one of the converters?

Now, exactly what problem are you referring to with the metadata?

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:32:06 pm

The specific issue is that the UDC fails to pass closed captions under certain combinations of input and output formats. The particular combinations that are most critical for my shop are between 720p and 480i; the card generally works between 1080i and 480i, but since we are mostly 720p that's a big problem.

I worked out all of the combinations quite some time ago, and can dig them back up if necessary.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:14:47 pm

Okay, just went back to my paperwork from mid-December when I tested the cards and originally reported the problem. Here are the specifics:

1080i in, NTSC out: captions OK
1080i in, 720p out: captions OK
1080i in, 1080i out: captions OK
720p in, NTSC out: no captions
720p in, 1080i out: no captions
720p in, 720p out: captions OK
NTSC in, NTSC out: captions OK
NTSC in, 720p out: no captions
NTSC in, 1080i out: no captions

Since we don't have a way to generate or check for PAL captions, I didn't test combinations involving that format.

Also, this is not a fluke with one card: we see the same results from four different cards.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:40:19 pm

This update, in some case the lock timing could be slower. So this has improved that situation for the UDC (it's shorter than it was, but different formats will be different).

It did NOT address the CC translation lines for the UpDownCross, though it is still in the Bug Database to be addressed.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:50:23 pm

[Joshua Helling] "This update, in some case the lock timing could be slower. So this has improved that situation for the UDC (it's shorter than it was, but different formats will be different).

It did NOT address the CC translation lines for the UpDownCross, though it is still in the Bug Database to be addressed."

I'm confused... how does this update apply to the UDC if the software doesn't even see the card?

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 29, 2012 at 2:08:45 pm

The software does not need to see the card (as in the utility). In the case of the UDC the only interaction for the software is the firmware update. This will happen when you plug in the device and start the utility. After the update there will be no further interaction from the GUI.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:08:39 pm

[Joshua Helling] "The software does not need to see the card (as in the utility). In the case of the UDC the only interaction for the software is the firmware update. This will happen when you plug in the device and start the utility. After the update there will be no further interaction from the GUI."

So the fact that I can plug the card in and start the utility but nothing seems to happen -- everything is greyed out and the top bar says "Blackmagic Converter Utility: No converter connected" -- is normal, and means that there's no firmware update pending for this particular card?

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]