FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shuttle DNxHD MXF no playback

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Metz
Shuttle DNxHD MXF no playback
on Feb 24, 2012 at 12:41:07 pm

Hi there,

another Hyperdeck Shuttle feature seems to be that when recording in DNxHD MXF the file cannot be viewed in playback. We tried during camera test with a F3 to record in DNxHD MXF and QT. When hitting play the MXF file is not displayed via HD SDI, recording DNxHD QT and playing it back works.

What the f...???

BTW: why is clip deletion still not implemented???

Rafael

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
Re: Shuttle DNxHD MXF no playback
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:44:43 pm

I tested with HyperDeck STUDIO on firmware 2.5 same happening here.
NO AVID MXF playback, after record. But the files are on disk. We see only a black picture while playback of AVID MXF.

BMD please fix that..

If I switch to Quicktime uncompressed or MXF in Quicktime, the playback seems fine...

Cheers.
Gunter.

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:00:15 pm

BTW:

AMA MXF does not import MXF files from the Shuttle.

So recorded MXF files from Shuttle need to be copied into the following file structure to be detected by Avid MediaTool:

/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/

Beta testing and paying for it.

Rafael

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:47:59 pm

"Beta testing and paying for it.

Rafael"

TECHNICALLY you bought an Uncompressed recorder that BMD has added DNxHD to IN BETA... You PAID FOR a recorder... you ARE Beta testing an add-on. These are exciting times... back in the $75k VTR days, once you bought it, you bought it! No firmware updates, no added abilities.

We keep losing track of that.

At $350, the shuttle is UNFATHOMABLE in terms of its abilities, although I agree wholeheartedly that more work needs to be done to deliver on ALL of the HyperDeck family's potential...

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:06:15 pm

From point of Marketing/Customer I bought a device (I've bought two...Shuttle 1+2) that is able to record DNxHD. Which for me means it can record and playback DNxHD - and not "yes, but...".
Concerning the price - if they say: it is cheap and you maybe have some things that may not work properly, ok.
They do not. Marketing says: it's awesome and offers this and that and more.
I have a 75k machine in my Post facility - and it works for many many years, because people have thought long and precise about it before throwing it into the market.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:33:13 pm

If you want to play them back directly from disk, then yes, you'll have to create that structure in the disk and move the files there to get them to be recognized by MC6. This is the structure that Avid requires, they don't have a way to choose a different location.

Though we are considering making it so those files automatically write to that folder structure, but there are some ramifications that we need to consider.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:49:11 pm

You´ll have to agree that this is quite weird that the device can record something and cannot play it back.
And that there is not hint that is has this "feature".
Why is it so hard to develop a feature up to the point where it is usable and release it then?

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:14:58 am

I've never checked playback of the DNxHD MXF files via SDI out, but they do play back via HDMI out. Before they updated the firmware to also output DNxHD MOV files, that was the only way that I could pull anything compressed off the device (no Avid MC here). I used my Intensity Pro as a stopgap to capture the output via HDMI.

I think that there may be an issue with mixing and matching different file types and maybe that is the problem. I know you can't mix 1080i and 720p and expect to be able to play both back. Maybe you can only play one file type (MXF, unc. MOV or DNxHD MOV) at a time also. I think that the Hyperdeck Utility setting determines what can play back. Just speculating though.

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:26:54 am

Having recorded DNxHD MXF and QT on the same SSD the Shuttle played back the QT but not the MXF files. So a mix of different file types seems not to be the problem.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:05:34 am

Hi

This is a bug in the beta driver but you should not see this issue if you use the release driver. Thank for Reston

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Feb 25, 2012 at 1:07:09 am

Hi

This is a bug in the beta driver but you should not see this issue if you use the released 2.0 driver. Thank for testing out the beta drivers. We do expect some bugs in them as we head towards a finished release.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:50:27 pm

Hi Rafael,

Please try the beta 3 driver which I'd just uploaded. This should address the issue with DNxHD MXF playback.

Thanks.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:03:41 am

Hi Kristian,

thank you for the info! Good news! I´ll check that version.
We shot the last project downgrading again to 2.0 - that worked well! Next week I´ll have a new project and try out the 3.0.

Thanks again!
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]