FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions from new user of Intensity Pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Mershon
Questions from new user of Intensity Pro
on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:00:28 pm

Hello all, I have installed an Intensity Pro working in FCP6 for external monitoring (no capturing) and have a few new-user questions:

Under View -> Video Playback, should my setting match the footage/sequence? Since my 1080 external monitor is set to 1:1 pixel mapping, this means 720 footage is centered non-full screen.

1. This is the correct method for accuracy, right?

2. Why is the image being cropped (just outside action safe) on my external monitor if it's set to 1:1? Isn't the card sending all 1280x720 pixels?

3. If I want it to fill the full screen for 720 footage (for client viewing), is the card upscaling the 720 footage when I set Video Playback to 1080? The quality isn't great, and setting the monitor's buttons to 'fill' instead of '1:1' gives a much clearer picture than what it seems the card is doing.

4. One last thing: in my system prefs for the card, I don't have the option "When not playing video: show last frame." Does the Intensity Pro not support this feature? The BM website is not at all clear since they lump all of the cards (Decklink, Thunderbolt, whatever) into the same manual when talking about the features.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Questions from new user of Intensity Pro
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:39:23 pm

Generally I'd let my monitor do the upscale. That's what they're made to do. Even a consumer LCD has to be made to accept 720p60 or 1080i signals off broadcast. You don't see ESPN (720p60) in a little box on your home TV.

I'm still waiting on my intensity extreme, but I think I remember it doesn't do a lot of up and downscaling. Some functions are a software up/downscale and others are hardware. Obviously the higher end BM Boxes do it in hardware. If you really need amazing up and down scaling in every direction with hardware, plus simeultaneous analog out and up/downscale, Matrox products are where it's at. But they start at $499. But at $499 that little box is doing 95% of what a full blown AJA can do.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Questions from new user of Intensity Pro
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:37:41 pm

Well, the device doesn't really scale like that. And while that will work in some cases (like 2k to HD crop) it is not always ideal for most formats.

You should choose the appropriate Blackmagic Easy Setup that matches the format you are using (and codec type) and then your output will be set properly by default.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]