FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Extreme not working under Lion 10.7.3

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Trust
Intensity Extreme not working under Lion 10.7.3
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:39:17 am

Hello everyone. Today we got our Intensity Extreme shipped. I went into an apple store to buy a tb cable as well and plugged the thing in. Then I installed the drivers from the DVD and went on trying out several input devices but I won't get a video signal at all and my iMac's fan gets curious as long as the new Intensity Extreme is plugged in.

What I tried out was:

1) installed the shipped drivers, startet media xpress, plugged in a Nintendo Wii via component cable - nothing

2) PS3 via component cable - nothing

3) Xbox 360 via HDMI and composite - nothing

4) iPad 2 via hdmi-out - nothing

5) installed the latest beta driver with support for FCPX and tried to get this to work this way - nothing

Did I mention that we tried installing and uninstalled the drivers in different versions several times and every time rebooted the system - just in case but nothing remarkably changed. I also stumbled upon an older board entry in Apple's support forums where people mentioned starting the computer without the kernel and addons being in 64bit mode. Changed that but nothing happened.

Does anyone have a clue how to resolve this thing? The iMac, as I mentioned, does a lot of noise though it does really nothing. I think there might be some inconsistencies with drivers... but I'm not good at looking into crystal balls.

This is very disappointing at least. We bought this thing back in Octobre because we were told it should be shipped in November. Then again this thing was delayed until now. So we waited a veeeeeery long time. And now I spent 10 hours in rebooting, re-installing, changing cables, settings at the different consoles and so on but in the end there is no signal output and we cannot capture a single frame of video game footage with the intensity extreme. :(

Hopefully someone in here might have a clue, what I can do to get this thing to work.

Thanks in advance.

Alexander

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Intensity Extreme not working under Lion 10.7.3
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:55:30 am

I know this sounds crazy, but on the Apple iMac you CAN actually very easily and without any extra force put the thunderbolt cable in backwards. It's flat out ridiculous. I have a Matrox TB adapter (getting my extreme Friday) for my mini and spent about 2 hours trying to figure out the problem. I swapped cables and it miraculously worked! Then I put the supposed bad cable on my MBook Pro and it worked with my pegasus raid fine. So I put the cable back and it didn't work. I remembered a post by someone I decided was out of his mind saying that the TB cable goes in backward. I thought he meant on the TB adapter end, but that part is fine. It's the iMac that has the problem. I think the ports are too large so they line up with the metal shell of the iMac. Oddly the shell of the iMac does have the sculpted shape, but it's so large it's like "throwing a hot dog down a hallway." -Stewie Griffin

Return to posts index

Alexander Trust
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:37:30 am

Well I once had that when I first installed the TB Display. But I can say for sure, that the tb cable is plugged in correct and of course the iMacs system "sound" settings for example show a blackmagic as a audio device. But It does not deliver any sound either, like with the video signal - nothing. :(

Thanks for your clue though.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:48:57 pm

Too bad it wasn't that easy. But always a good opportunity to rant about the horrible TB connection on an iMac. I too am 10.7.3. Get mine Friday and will post results.

Return to posts index

Alexander Trust
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:47:01 pm

I have to apology but you were right in first place.

Well the cable was plugged in the right direction but as you mentioned it does not always suit for 100%. I unplugged the cable, plugged it in again. And I dangled the cable a bit, suddenly it worked.... then I captured some seconds. Everything went fine. I wanted to rearrange the iMac back to the place it stood before on the desk. You know, we know, everybody know the slots are on the back... #sigh In the end the signal got lost again. I tried it again and again no lucky me. I did not manage to get the signal back again. :(

Silly that such an expensive thing like an iMac '27 does show a behaviour like this. Would you propose I should cut some of the plastik on one end of the tb cable? So it would better fit in the slot? I know it costs 49 bucks but when this will prevent it from not showing the signal... I would do it. I have managed to do this with other cables for video or audio before.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:32:44 pm

There's electronics in there! Don't do that. I run the cables through the little hole on the stand so there light sideways pressure and it alleviates the random pull outs.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Feb 23, 2012 at 11:34:30 pm

Hi,

Could it be faulty cables? Maybe it's worth swapping it at the Apple store.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Stephen Hopes
on Jan 9, 2016 at 4:48:47 am

Hoping this will reach Kristian Lam,
Just bought intensity extreme thunderbolt - works with 5d Mk 3 although not at 1080 25p but 1080 50i ...
But will not work with my Canon C300 Mk 2 - this is extremely disappointing - new retina MBP with ElCapitan
No matter what I try just cannot get a picture...
Any help much appreciated
Steve Hopes
Austraya

Return to posts index

Alexander Trust
on Feb 24, 2012 at 1:33:32 am

Do you think it would help if I put some, let's say small piece of folded paper between two of those cables? We have a tb display in use as well connected via tb. So on the iMac both tb slots are used.

And fortunately I made another discovery. As I rebooted the iMac again, after rebooting the imagery was gone again. I thought - okay... why is that. Did not touch the iMac. The console was up an running all the time during reboot and so on. So I unplugged the intensity, turned the console off, rebooted again. First I plugged in the intensity, then I started up the console, et voilà we had a signal. Today apple released an EFI fw update für iMacs, something with HDCP was mentioned as well. Maybe this had something to do with recognition as well, though I don't think it should have been, because at least the PS3 is connected via analog component cable.

Thanks for your help - and this forum is also a great resource for research on different topics.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:30:46 am

Got my intensity extreme today and put it through the paces with the new 9.2 beta drivers. No problems. It just works. Premiere, FCP, and FCP X all work at the same time with the same driver. FCP X seems to work pretty good, with some occasional judder of the video signal. It will crash and burn if I switch to SD anamorphic output, but I may be doing something wrong there. In FCP 7 and Premiere I can turn on the SD output at any time. It degrades the HD signal to anamorphic SD too, but I thought it was either HDMI or analog. The Matrox is much more capable in that arena, but their drivers are no where as good as the blackmagic for FCP X. With the matrox drivers, just a little tooling around will lose your connection to the matrox. Very annoying.

So, extremely pleased with the extreme so far. Even can output Photoshop. Haven't tested AE yet.

They did cheap out on the cables. No HDMI cable, no y converters for svideo. I have that stuff laying around, but still, cheapo.

Return to posts index

Tj Faulkner
on Feb 24, 2012 at 2:13:59 am

I am experiencing the exact same issue as you, only difference is that I am using a MacBook Pro. Ill check back here tomorrow; maybe this is a widespread problem?

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:20:36 pm

have not tried input, but monitoring resolve through Intensity Extreme, hdmi out, on mbp Lion 7.3 no problem

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:57:52 pm

I have an interesting situation as well. All my iMac's work with the Intensity Extreme, but my MacBookPro does not power the device up (no light next to the thunderbolt connection).

My Ultrastudio 3D does work however on the same laptop.

So, i'll have to look at this further and see what I can find out.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:12:00 pm

have you updated firmware on mbp?

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index

Betuel Benitez
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:25:15 pm

So i figured out the problem. You guys have to go on blackmagics website and download the Desktop video 9.2 beta 3 if your on lion 10.7.3

Then make sure you have an hdmi cable plugged in the hdmi in slot going from your console to the bmie, and then have another hdmi plugged into the monitor/tv and that one plugged to into the bmie hdmi out. For the tb cables make sure to have the thunderbolt logo faced up not down. I made the mistake of having the tb cable faced down on the bmie and it didnt display on my MBP screen for the game i was recording.

Also make sure you plug in the extreme in first then start up media express after so that you can see the bmie in the device list. It also doesnt matter when you have your console turned because the extreme will detect it as long as you plugged in the extreme first.

That should fix your problem. Your welcome. Also if you want check my unboxing of the bmie on youtube just search up SubzeroFervor.

Return to posts index

Nate Hall
on Feb 25, 2012 at 8:55:36 am

I posted a unboxing video as well but sub zero beat me to it. At the end I show the Intensity Extreme working with FCP X and the latest iteration of Lion.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 27, 2012 at 4:49:17 am

I don't believe you solved anyone's problem. Console? Who even mentioned a console?

Return to posts index

Monty Martin
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:17:53 pm

I am using the 9.1 software just fine and getting video into my Macbook Air from my Canon T3i, Xbox360, and the HDMI output of my PC's Radeon 5770. Blackmagic Media Express, Ustream Producer, Adobe, and Isadora all see the BMIE, bit of a guessing game as to which device needs what signal. Haven't tried the beta 9.2 with FCPX though.

Lion 10.7.3 on a 13" i5 Macbook Air.

Captures wonderfully into my Lacie 2big.

Broadcasts just fine too.

I love this little thing.

Return to posts index

Christian Pankhurst
on Mar 3, 2012 at 1:19:36 pm

I'm having the same issue. Got my intensity extreme yesterday and it doesn't work (black screen) on my imac 2011 27" AND my macbook pro. Tried with three different HDMI sources. Using a brandnew apple thunderbolt cable (it's in the right way - everything lights up and the computer recognizes the device).

When I open up mediaexpress i sometimes get a successful connection with my camera and I can see the video and audio feed coming through, so I know the device potentially works. But then, when I try to broadcast the feed via livestream procaster or ustream producer (it's a certified device on both of these programs) it just transmits a black screen.

I am using the lastest beta 3 of 9.2 software and both macs are fully update to date with latest software and firmware. I'm at a loss to what this could be... any ideas?

Christian

Return to posts index

Monty Martin
on Mar 3, 2012 at 3:21:24 pm

I would suggest anyone having trouble try using 9.1 instead of the 9.2 beta.

I am using 9.1 and having zero problems. You just have to select the right source, you will get black until you figure out which one is the right one for your capture source.

Although 9.1 does not yet support FCPX.

Return to posts index

Shawna Talbot
on May 14, 2012 at 4:54:37 pm

[Betuel Benitez] "So i figured out the problem. You guys have to go on blackmagics website and download the Desktop video 9.2 beta 3 if your on lion 10.7.3"

This worked perfect for my group. We were having a hell of a time getting it to work because we thought we had all the drivers loaded. Downloaded this now we're having no problems at all!

Return to posts index

Bryan Hudson
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:19:19 pm

My Intensity Extreme works only on my iMac Quad i5. Does not work on MacBook Pro i7, MacBook Air i3 or iMac i3.

Talked BMD tech support on several occasions since last Thursday. They were actually aware that it DOES NOT WORK on many MacBooks and iMacs with TB. Can't believe they didn't test this thing on every late model Mac and inform customers of non-compatibility.

I have ATEM Television Studio and Intensity Pro cards in my Mac Pro, which works great. Really disappointed in BMD's handling of this major problem with the long-awaited Intensity Extreme.

Return to posts index

Marcello Cangialosi
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:29:24 pm

Same problem here.

My Intensity Extreme doesn't seem to be working with my recently purchased brand new MacBook Pro (not retina display).

It's a 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 model with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.

I get a black screen and no sound in both Media Express and Final Cut Pro X. I tried installing the latest driver (and the one that came before it) both after and before having connected the hardware. No luck.

Any update on this?

Return to posts index

Bryan Hudson
on Jul 10, 2012 at 11:34:05 pm

To my embarrassment, I discovered that my Macbook Pro did not have thunderbolt, even though System Profiler seem to indicate that I had TB. I knew that the DisplayPort and TB looked exactly the same. I learned from an Apple Genius that the only way to know if you have TB is to look for the Thunderbolt lightning icon next to the port.

The Apple guy told me that Profiler was just showing that my OS (Snow Leopard) was Thunderbolt capable.

Return to posts index

Marcello Cangialosi
on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:27:24 pm

I eventually managed to make it work, somehow.

Basically I can have it work consistently only through the BM Media Express.

All you have to do is forget the "Set default video standard" thing in System Preferences and just be sure that Project Video Format is BM Media Express matches the source video.

Now, in my case, I have noticed the following while capturing footage from my PS3.

First of all, whenever I set PVF to any of the 1080p options (1080p is the PS3 resolution in the dashboard), I get no video at all. I guess this depends on the fact that the PS3 dash runs at 60fps, which is not supported at 1080p. I can only make it work if I set the PVF to 1080 at 30fps or something.

So, for capturing in progressive I need to switch the PS3 video output to 720p and set the PVF accordingly (720p). Problem is, there is no 720p/30fps option. 720p is 60fps only (or 59.94fps). Luckily tho, I can capture games running natively at 30fps no problem even if the PVF is set to 720p/59.94 (setting it at 60fps doesn't work btw, but no biggie). Problem is I end up capturing footage at 60fps regardless, meaning the file size ends up being rather big. It's incredible there is no option to capture 720p footage at 30fps.

Anyway, I also managed to make it work for a while in FCP7 too via Log and Capture. Sadly I don't remember exactly what I did so I can't replicate it anymore. What I do remember tho is that the audio would not register. It would register audio only from the built in Mac mic for whatever reason.

So, at the end of the day, my situation is that I can record video, but only from the BM Media Express thingy if the PVF set at at 720fps (don't care about 1080 if it's not progressive) and at 59.94fps.

I can't say I'm terribly happy with this product.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]