FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Blackmagic shuttle usb 3.0 with m11x problems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louie Baffoe Harris
Using Blackmagic shuttle usb 3.0 with m11x problems
on Feb 22, 2012 at 8:47:56 pm

Okay so i have an Alienware m11x, Intel core i7 2617m 1.5GHZ (up to 2.6), 2GB Nvidea geforce 540m with 4GB ram and windows 7 64 bit

So far im trying to capture video from my xbox 360 via hdmi and personal camcorder (panasonic camileo S10) AV cables so that i can stream and record videos ive had a black screen in black media express, in the device drop down it says intensity shuttle so i assume it is working and on the tv i am outputting onto when the shuttle starts it displays the black magic design logo then dissapears im really frustrated any help is greatly appreciated as id like to start streaming asap!!

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
Re: Using Blackmagic shuttle usb 3.0 with m11x problems
on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:14:04 pm

Two things:

1) The resolution of what you're trying to record needs to match the settings in Media Express. If not, you'll just get a black screen.

2) Sometimes on starting up Media Express, you have to hit the record button once to get it to "turn on".

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:23:50 pm

hmmm im going to try that now, considering the camera im using is being input through the av connection and the xbox through the hdmi isnt that going to clash on the different resolutions they are both using? will i have to sacrifice one or?

im going to try it now then ill post results hopefully i can get it working appreciate the speedy response.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:00:55 pm

Only connect one at a time, set to the correct resolution, and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:32:00 pm

I tried connecting each one seperately set my xbox to 720p and tried again seems to no avail same with my camera possibly anything i may be doing wrong?
I cant seem to perform that trick where you press record to kickstart it since the options just arent available or maybe ive got it wrong?
Also when i hit capture it says media express could not cpature the clip one or more frames were dropped

I have an inkling it might be drivers because when i stick in the shuttle it says installing it completes quickly sometimes so i reinstalled but nothing seems to have changed on that front :(.

I have screenshots of what i have with me if you want a video let me know if that helps the problem solving,
http://imgur.com/CsO2p

http://imgur.com/sNq3L

Praying i can get this working asap

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:36:08 pm

What type of USB 3.0 Controller does your laptop use?

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:41:39 pm

Renzas USB 3.0 Host controller i believe from checking on device manager, could it possibly have anything to do with that nec driver thingy sorry im not too clued up with this streaming thing.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:45:45 pm

sorry for the double post but can i double check i have everything connected properly

so i have:

Xbox------> hdmi cable--> Intensity shuttle--->PC monitor
+
+
+
Usb cable
+
+
Laptop

Is this the correct setup so the xbox isnt directly connected to the monitor and neither is the laptop everything goes through the shuttle?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:51:45 am

Yes, that configuration is correct. Think of the Shuttle as a pass-through device.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:46:21 pm

Yep, I bet that's your problem, you need to update the Reneas drivers. The instructions are on BMD's site. You'll need to update the driver and the firmware.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:39:33 pm

Louie, here is the link to the instructions on how to update your drivers and firmware:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/1388093/USB3_Readme_Before_You_Insta...

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:18:32 am

Version 2.1.28.1 my version as of now after installing the updates firmware is 4015

I uninstalled and reinstalled black magic desktop 9.1 and attempted again with my xbox 360 i attempted all the 720p modes and then switched the display to 1080p and did the same for the 1080p options still no video has been displayed yet :( followed instructions on the pdf my firmware is higher than the required version 3.0.2.5 and same with the driver version 2.0.4.0.
Anything im doing wrong possibly? been at it for a few hours now :(

used this link to get me up to date ~

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19880&lang=e...

http://imgur.com/Rrd5X - my setup im trying to work still hdmi in nd out *sigh*

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59:51 am

Try the drivers/firmware listed on this page:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:39:03 am

ithought the intel link i posted was the latest one i was quite wrong it was from december 2011 i think that might be the culprit i selected the (Version 2.1.28.1 Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7 32/64bits) 19/1/2012 and have just installed it and restarted.

Im going to try those video settings now for the xbox, how do find out what resolution my camera displays at btw? and are there other alternative programs to black magic express i can test?

Ill try component cables if i get the chance atm all i have is hdmi

ill post back again with results attempting now appreciate the help once again guys hopefully this works now.

Return to posts index

Justin Moy
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:15:49 am

Setting in 360: 720p = HD 720 p 59.94 in Media Express.

Setting in 360: 1080i = HD 1080 i 59.94 in Media Express.

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 can't do 1080 p 59.94.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:56:57 am

Another thing I thought about is possibly the HDMI cable. Try using component, though I don't own a 360, so I'm not sure if it offers that as an output.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 23, 2012 at 5:27:15 am

so i attempted with my xbox again, setting it to 720p again and set it to 720p 59.4 in media express still to no avail just a black screen on blackmagic express and my monitor flickers inbetween and when i unplug the shuttle but shows no signal.
did the same with 1080i no dice not sure what i should do next or what i mightve done wrong,
is it possible for someone to help me over teamviewer or something?
Just attempted with my camera on all the settings none of them picked up, plugged camera nd 360 directly to monitor just to double check they work.

im so tilted been a few hours now, ive reinstalled the drivers the firmware should be up to date
what should i try next i may have missed?

http://imgur.com/Uw2EP screen is either in this state or switches to display the blackmagic design logo on startup

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:32:33 am

I would still suggest using component connections.

Heck, just try composite. Use any source that has a composite output (yellow jack), set the Shuttle to NTSC (or PAL if that's your region), and try that.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:59:04 am

i dont really know the difference between composite and component lol hell even av but this is my findings so far:

tried using composite cable have pics to see what happened

tried using my camera first plugged the av cables into the yellow and white slots since i didnt know where else to put them even though there was no read input i could use
-came out blank in media express, monitor showed nothing
http://imgur.com/UHZuB - this is the cable that came with my camera still dont know what resolution it uses so i tried all off them since i think these were standard definition i used the hdmi cable for the camera to see if anything would work but nothing at all :(

went back to my xbox 360 got i think the composite cable put it into the shuttle as shown in the pic
- nothing came on monitor, nothing came on the media express aswell

http://imgur.com/PlxxV -nothing worked sadly

since nothing was working i decided to attempt to put it in the RGB since i had nothing else to try and lo and behold i made some progress after 12 hours
-nothing came up on black magic express
-monitor showed picture but it was black and white with no sound, im in london/uk which is a pal region tried all the pal settings no change, and all the ntsc ones for the hell of it still no change or improvement

http://imgur.com/Yjv1z - put it in the inputs which were green,blue and red to see if any results

http://imgur.com/lyTxG - (a new hope lol) black and white image fuzzy round the top still no sound

-I tried to capture each time got frame dropped message
-finally when there was an image on the monitor i tried capturing and it allowed me to this time but the express app was blank and the captured files were just black screens
this was with the blurry black and white image on the the monitor

After that attempted to try and mix and match the composite ports didnt get any sound at all throughout and only managed to produce a blue screen.

http://imgur.com/pe0AG - Blue screen :( no dice

So erm im pretty stuck now not sure what to do next? :( ill get this working somehow with my perserverance. Greatful for all the help so far. If you need any more details ill add them.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:56:16 pm

Louie, I may have found your problem.

Use HDMI only. Go into Windows Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and there should be the Blackmagic Control Panel software. Open it up, and I bet the input is set to HDMI with HDMI sound. Change it to component, then click Apply. Then change it back to HDMI with HDMI sound, click Apply, and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 25, 2012 at 11:03:59 pm

:o lol i tried that during the day and it worked!!!!1 i came across the info in a post from 2 years ago on another forums :S finally works for both my xbox and camera!

I have to use pal progressive for the camera and 1080i 59.94 for my xbox.

Now i need to work out how to stream footage and or record stuff seems my hard drive is far too slow clockin speeds around 70 write speed and 50 read speed

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 25, 2012 at 11:32:25 pm

Glad you figured it out, because I ran into the same issue yesterday, and finally figured it out last night.

Regarding capturing, you may need to use a NLE (non-linear editor) to capture, such as Premiere Pro. This will allow you to use different codecs to capture in, such as DVCProHD.

In Media Express, if your hard drives aren't fast enough for uncompressed (which require around 200MB/s), you can try MJPEG, though obviously, the quality won't be as good. If you want uncompressed, you'll need a SSD hard drive (or two fast spindle-drives running in striped raid). Use the Black Magic Speed Test software to determine how fast your drives are.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:29:15 am

http://imgur.com/Bo9yS

this is my speeds could you give a quick rundown of how those nle works does it just it captures straight from the blackmagic?
Is this the same for streaming? i think i have to use xsplit right do you know how it works?

For now i want to use the lower quality till i buy an ssd i guess how do i set it to record a quality my hard drive can take?

Thanks for the help so far

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:59:05 am

I'm not sure about that streaming program, as I haven't currently done any streaming.

Regarding your drive speeds, you can capture uncompressed SD (standard definition) just fine, but you can't capture HD uncompressed. What you can do is select the MJPEG codec as your capture type (in Media Express), and your hard drive will do just fine. I believe MJPEG in HD is 22MB/s, so you'll be fine. Make sure you have plenty of hdd (hard drive) space though. The files can get fairly large.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 26, 2012 at 1:13:24 am

hmm if im uploading to youtube for example whats the most reasonable capture i should use i got about 250gb to work with using the mjpeg im expecting to be using a gig a minute if i wanted to get like 100mb/s would the quality be really bad? for youtube at least. im trying to think of how practical it will be to upload stuff.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 26, 2012 at 2:24:04 am

You need to record it first, then edit it, and export it to a compressed format, like h.264. You then upload that final file to youtube.

Recording in uncompressed is the best, but it takes a lot of hdd space and hdd speed. Their are lossy codecs, like MJPEG, DVCProHD, ProRes, and DXnHD, but you have to have the software that uses those encoding methods. Media Express does allow MPJEG, but it's the worst of the bunch.

You need something like Premiere Pro to work in. It'll allow you to capture in multiple formats (like DVCProHD), and edit those same files. Once your done editing, you can then export the final video to something smaller in h.264, ready to upload to Youtube. (For instance, 30 minutes of HD captured using DVCProHD is about 30GB, and once edited, that same 30 minute video can be exported to H.264 with a 2-pass encode, resulting in a 5GB file).

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:47:39 am

ah i see whats thats pretty reasonable i can work with that ill be using premier pro thankyou very much for the info, does premier pro let me do all video editing within the program like putting text and adding cutscenes in etc?

Im considering getting footage of roundabout 5hrs or so what would you recommend for that?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:11:20 am

Yes, Premiere Pro will do everything you want, and more than you've probably thought of.

If you're just uploading to Youtube, you can probably get 5 hours into a 20GB file. That would be about 15Mbps encoding rate, which is more than enough for YouTube.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:40:28 am

awesome stuff got my hands on premiere pro now i got a few questions im looking to hook everything up via hdmi but obviously my laptops hdd speed doesnt support it.

So basically can i hook everything up via hdmi and record in uncompressed standard definition so i dont have massive files and my hard drive will be able to handle it using hdmi or do i have to change my blackmagic shuttle connection to my xbox from hdmi to component to do so??

Im going to attempt to record in premiere and see how it turns out, thanks for all the help so far too really grateful.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:01:05 am

Yes, you can capture in SD via HDMI, that should not be an issue.

Good luck, let us know if you run into any problems.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:00:40 am

ah thats awesome will be doing that untill i can upgrade to an ssd, my last question before i start testing, is there any input lag for my monitor with the shuttle currently set up as such

xbox>hdmi to shuttle> shuttle usb to laptop and shuttle hdmi to monitor

my only wonder is why as it seems other streamers/recorders go with this setup

http://8wayrun.com/attachments/untitled-1-jpg.9785/

here it seems they use a splitter/distro amp avoiding connecting the shuttle to the monitor all together
im just wondering if i should take this route?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:11:38 am

No, the lag will be minimal, to the point you won't notice it. The diagram you showed would actually add more lag.

I've tested the Shuttle with my Directv receiver, sending it 1080i. While watching the output (or pass through) of the Shuttle, but listening to the audio directly from the Directv receiver, it's perfectly in sync. You shouldn't have any issues.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:34:27 am

hmmm interesting so using a splitter adds more lag?

My main worry is that im using the setup for playing fighting games primarily everything works off the 60 frames per second mechanic any extra more than 1 frame would ruin the experience or become less playable to an extent.

basically attempting this

http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-building-your-own-stream-part-1.93...

Are you saying his setup there is actually more lag splitting the connection directly to the tv than going straight from console>shuttle>tv??

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:07:38 am

You always want the source going straight to the capture component. Though to be honest, using an active splitter, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, as that's in ms, less than or equal to 1fps.

I thought you were using a XBox as your source, as I believe, that's capped at 30 fps. If so, you're more than good to go.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:28:23 am

hmm at some point i would be looking to doing dual screen setups, for tournament grand finals so screens wouldnt have to be shared.
But for the mean time i didnt understand why everything was being split with just 1 monitor as shown in the video i posted earlier and the streaming guide link aswell

and yes im using xbox as my source im not too sure how it works with the frame issue as im playing streetfighter 4 i believe it animates the 60 frames per second as 30 to work on the xbox and ps3 but im not too fully sure ill google it up.

So do you approve of using a splitter like this one?

http://www.sjelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/SJ_Electronics_CHDMI_8_778.html

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:07:07 am

I can't speak of the HDMI splitter, but I'm fairly confident that both the PS3 and Xbox360 are capped at 30fps. That's what separates consoles from PC gaming.

I'm sure you know, if you want to get into dual-capturing, you'll need two capturing devices.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:50:50 am

ah then i believe the streetfighter game is 60 but animated as 30

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/aug/09/video-shows-timing-difference-bet...

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/feb/17/how-read-frame-data-street-figh...

also i saw the splitter was a recurring theme so i went and asked why it was done that way and i was told simply because if anything crashes they dont want the player screen to go off ruining the tournament so it makes sense i will need one or i will be taking a risk every time i attempt.

I dont think ill need dual capture cards if im just splitting the connection so that both players wont need to share 1 screen? so exactly same source etc just output the console on 2 screens and record/stream one of those since its exactly the same image?

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 1:49:09 pm

also do i need to set the black magic input and output processing to anything or do i leave it as off? im about to test the recording function now
can you give me a quick run through of how i set up premiere cs5.5?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:12:29 pm

First, make sure the Shuttle is connected.

When you start PP5.5, use the Blackmagic DVCProHD preset. Once it gives you a new sequence, press "F5" to bring up the capture box. Click on device settings to make sure the Shuttle is selected.

You may or may not see any video in the preview at first, that's ok. Press the capture button, and it should start capturing.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:22:11 pm

im seeing that 1080p is supported in appcs5.5 does that mean i can record in 1080p from the shuttle and the media express program is the bottleneck or does the shuttle just not support it?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:24:30 pm

I don't think 1080p has been added to the firmware yet on the Shuttle.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:28:17 pm

ah okay then im on a screen where its letting me select new sequence via the presets, i have clicked on DVCPROHD and its given me 3 options 1080p under that its 1080p24, 1080i under that 1080i50 and 1080i60 and 720p with 720p 24/50 and 60 i set the xbox to display 1080i but in media express i remember only 1080i59.4 being the only one that worked, what should i pick in appcs5.55?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:31:05 pm

The correct preset is:

Blackmagic Design/HD1080/DVCPROHD/59.94i

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:39:44 pm

okay im being a noob im doing something wrong i shut it all down and re ran the app

gave em a new project screen selected new project and brought me to this screen how should i select the correct settings?

http://imgur.com/af1Up

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:49:37 pm

Just click OK on the new project settings, all of those settings are fine. It'll then bring up a new sequence settings page, that's where you select the preset I mentioned before. Make sure to use the Blackmagic one, just follow the tree like I listed.

Also, you can close Media Express, you don't need that running at all. Premiere Pro is going to control the Shuttle instead of Media Express.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:55:14 pm

ahh i was going straight to dvchdpro when i was selecting the presets like a retard

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:58:58 pm

LOL, I made that mistake the first time also.

Also, once you're done capturing, you may see what looks like a faint grid over the video. Don't worry about that, it's not actually there. Once you export the video, it won't be there.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:02:40 pm

Im too excited lol its showing on the preview now perfectly and also on my monitor perfectly am i ready to start recording now?!

And everytime switch windows/tabs from premiere pro or media express if im using it my monitor turns black is there anyway to stop this? and when it goes black does that mean the recording has temporarily stopped? or will continue even though i cant see untill i go back to the tab?

btw is the dvcprohd capturing for me as the format you said was uncompressed standard definition so i wont get dropped frames on my hdd?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:13:37 pm

When capturing, you don't want to switch windows, that may cause some problems.

If your hard drive can handle uncompressed SD capture, it can handle DVCProHD capture.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15:30 pm

ah cool dvchdpro isnt very lossy i hope right is it below or above uncompressed Standard definition? i got 200gb space to work with for now.

side question again on premiere pro at the top it says capture device offline is that fine i havent attempted to record yet waiting for your go ahead everything seems perfect preview is showing too?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:20:27 pm

DVCProHD files are about 750MB per minute, so I think your drive will suffice.

And yeah, it'll say "Offline" when you aren't capturing, that's normal behavior.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:23:37 pm

awesome then comes out to about 12.5 p/s which is is about 1/4 the speed of my drive afaik,

soo.. Can i hit record now?!?!

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:27:22 pm

One more thing, in the capture menu, click on settings in the upper right corner, and make sure your capture locations are where you want them.

After that, you're ready to rock n roll.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:29:18 pm

excellent im ready for phase 1 ill post about how it goes, if i have my browser open in the background is that a bad idea i guess its just taking up ram for no reason? or is it fine got 4gb not sure if thats enough or more than enough

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:32:25 pm

The browser being open shouldn't be a problem, just leave it in the background.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:32:41 pm

alright ill be back with results.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:51:03 pm

okay so i just tried to record just now, and i seem to be getting that dropped frame shenanigans i got when i tried it on blackmagic express, i think it has something to do with my drive, the video didnt last more than 2 seconds is the rate too high for my laptop?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:06:44 pm

In Premiere Pro, press "F5", click on "Settings", click on "Edit", and make sure the capture rate is set to DVCProHD.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 1, 2012 at 5:59:05 am

I believe i have set as such i went to try record again and it was still no luck :( any thing else i should try.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 1, 2012 at 6:02:17 am

Do another speed test for your hard drive. Using the Blackmagic Speed Test software. Tell me your readings.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 1, 2012 at 6:18:27 am

http://imgur.com/ROlv7

this is atm

http://imgur.com/okP5t

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 1, 2012 at 7:57:14 am

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4143890 also i found this tread stating something about the usb being powered, thoughts?

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:34:39 am

http://imgur.com/xjLs0

i went back to media express to try it out, i made 2 vids the fighting game one in the image was covered in lines and the 2nd was alot better though at certain times i had lines on menus where i was scrolling fast,i randomly and selected avi motion jpeg and thats the results i came up with i was able to capture and everything went pretty smoothly (came up with the dropped frame screen once) there was defo a bit of lag in the preview window but i rocked with it and got a 750mb file and some of it was quite blurry like shown in the pic i had the black magic shuttle control panel settings to have input processing from 1080i to sd letterbox but i dont know if it actually affected it.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 3, 2012 at 11:13:57 am

No help?bump please :(

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:14:19 am

Sorry Louie, been busy with a live gig. Will get back with you tomorrow morning.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 5, 2012 at 4:14:12 pm

Louie, looking at your screenshot, that's looks like an interlacing issue. Try inputting and capturing at 720p.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:00:37 pm

i see ill try that now, the vids dont seem too smooth whe recording and sound can get glitchy is there any other codecs/recording format i can try that are good but not so intensive maybe? it seems my hard drive at the moment is bottle necking me

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:02:27 pm

Looking at your speed test results, you really shouldn't have any problems capturing in DVCProHD, of course you have to use Premiere Pro to capture if you went that route.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:15:22 pm

also im wondering i can set my screen xbox to show 50hz or 60hz both hz work but im not sure so i checked around apparently UK is 50hz in general so i set it to that

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 5, 2012 at 10:18:38 pm

Yes, UK runs on 50Hz.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:40:58 pm

hmm so i tried it again and the video is really laggy like 25% speed

when i tried with dvchdpro it just wont record for more than 2 seconds before frames drop and capture aborts
motionjpeg is the only one that works but its laggy and sound is still glitchy what should i try?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:12:57 pm

Sounds like you need a faster hard drive. Until you get one, try capturing in SD, using the DVCPro50 codec.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:07:56 pm

how do i go about setting that up i seem to be doing it wrong

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:13:27 pm

Set the Xbox to output standard definition (SD). In Premiere Pro, set the sequence to Blackmagic Design-PAL-DVCPro50-4x3 (or 16x9).

After pressing F5 to open the capture screen, make sure to set the Shuttle to capture at those some presets.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:19:32 pm

my xbox allows me to set it to 480p but the dvcpro50 options are 480i and 576i i tried the 16:9 widescreen 24p option in 480i to try but no dice

////////////////

ignore i didnt go through blackmagic design drop down trying again.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:26:03 pm

Ok, the XBox doesn't want to output 480i, so that isn't going to work.

Try going back to 1080i, and using the Blackmagic Design/HD1080/AVCHD codec.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:36:31 pm

i tried it again properly i didnt select the the drop down correctly like the first time,
im going to try the avchd suggestion now how do i select the avchd options for standard definition?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:37:01 pm

It's not SD, it's HD, but I'm hoping your hard drive can handle AVCHD, instead of DVCProHD.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:46:15 pm

ah i see, im on the menu before the sequence im not sure how to config the shuttle correctly my drop down are options are video standard and video format, ive set standard to 1080i 59.94 which should be fine but the video standard has uncompressed 8 bit,uncompressed 10 bit, motion jpeg and dvchdpro.
which should i select before i pick the avchd sequence? does it even matter which i pick too?

(for now ive picked uncompressed 8 bit since that is the default till you can guide me)

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 5:59:44 pm

Ah, you're right, it can't capture directly in AVCHD.

Do you have the XBox360 adapter that has s-video outputs? If so, you can use that for SD interlaced.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:27:22 pm

i have this

http://imgur.com/pTOFR

the red white and yellow is that good enough?

Also what settings should i use with these

also for my system which ssd should i purchase that will allow me to avoid all of these issues?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:36:01 pm

Yes, that will work for SD interlace, just make sure in the Blackmagic Control Panel, that the input is set to "Composite". You should then be able to capture in 576i.

Regarding SSD, just make sure the read/write rates are above 220MB/s. You really only need SSD to capture uncompressed HD, but if you don't mind using DVCProHD, I successfully use this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:42:47 pm

Also, looking at your speed tests, when capturing in SD, you can capture in 8-bit uncompressed, that'll make the video look better, though it uses more hard drive space.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 6:59:34 pm

ayt going to try with composite now in 576i, how do i put the settings actually?
and what settings for my xbox it has 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p?

http://imgur.com/YA8qL this is my disk speed test from just right now it says i can do 10bit but as soon as i try i get the dropped frames screen abort when i usually try, ill try it again now.

Ill keep that hard drive in mind when i have enough

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:03:56 pm

If you're going to do uncompressed (I'd go with 8-bit, it'll save on hard drive space), just use the Blackmagic Media Express software. Set it to PAL SD 576i, 8-bit uncompressed, and hit the record button.

Also, make sure it is capturing to the correct hard drive.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:13:04 pm

http://imgur.com/YSDqG better speed test other one didnt complete.

im still not sure what to set my xbox 480p? to as once i plug it into the shuttle i cant change it untill i disconnect it.

My monitor has only hdmi input so i cant connect it directly to the xbox through the composite

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:16:42 pm

According to this, the XBox should automatically detect that you're using composite, and output SD interlaced only:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-xb...

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:52:09 pm

so ive tried and i cant get a screen preview to even let me record and i believe its due to the settings
i dont think the xbox is realizing its using composite or my monitor might not be recognizing the composite~hdmi hmm :S

Could possibly messing with the control panel help me use hdmi and record in sd? saw a few settings for input and output processing

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:52:23 pm

You could try that. Set it to convert to SD, and give it a go.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:06:58 pm

i finally got recording work to an excellent quality last night i downloaded a program called amarectv a while ago and gave it a go since i had a basic understanding of putting the settings corecctly in and lo and behold it worked a charm quality is reaally good though not sure what ive recorded it in, but files are about 1gb a minute.

Now that ive got a recorded file would i edit it in adobe premiere as a work around to avoid all the recording problems?

Now currently trying to get streaming working now i believe im meant to use flash media encoder so im giving it a go.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 7, 2012 at 5:06:45 pm

i think i understand codecs a bit more now, could you run me through encoding and editing?

also when it comes to editing im hearing sony vegas pro is the best? is this what premiere pro does?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:04:28 pm

I personally like Premiere over Vegas, but that's just an editor's choice, as they both do the same thing in the end.

The best way to get your settings correct in Premiere Pro is to import the clips, set your in and out points, and then drag the clip from the media bin into the "New" icon (it's to the left of the trashcan icon). This will put the clip in a new sequence, matching the settings of the original clip.

Return to posts index

Louie Baffoe Harris
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:02:35 pm

ah awesome ill use premiere since ive got it now then, what codec can i use that will give me something reasonable like 1gb/hour files? having size issues atm

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Mar 10, 2012 at 4:00:15 pm

For HD, the best codec for you would be the H.264 codec. Though trying to fit 1 hour of HD video into a 1GB file would not look good. Even at 10Mbps, a 1 hour video would be around 4.5GB. Since most of your footage is video games, you could probably get decent quality with a variable bitrate (VBR) of say 10Mbps target and 15Mbps max.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]