FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI to SDI Converter Cable Length

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Szynal
HDMI to SDI Converter Cable Length
on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:52:40 pm

Hello,

I am getting ready to purchase an ATEM Television Studio and a few HDMI to SDI converters.
After reading other posts here on CC I understand that running HDMI to the ATEM TVS can be problematic at times,(which is why I'm converting to SDI). My question is, will I run into issues with HDMI cable lengths going from my cameras into the SDI converters? I want to have the HDMI to SDI adapter a short distance away from the cameras(~30 feet). Will I run into problems like the TVS? What is the longest HDMI cable you guys have run into these converters?

Thanks for your help,
Nathan Szynal

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
Re: HDMI to SDI Converter Cable Length
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:39:50 pm

As a rule, we try to minimize the length of the HDMI cable because it's rather hard to nail down the quality of a particular cable with any objective criteria. Generally speaking, we locate the converter with the HDMI source and use a short cable, typically several feet.

Coaxial cable for SDI can cover far greater distances, and the performance is quite predictable. For example:

Belden 1694A is good for 1,339 feet at 270Mb/s (SD-SDI), 364 feet at 1.5Gb/s (HD-SDI), or 250 feet at 3Gb/s (1080p). Other smaller types like 1505A and 1855A have shorter distance limits. You can take a look at Belden's chart here.

Regards,

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]