FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperdeck Shuttle 2-Firmware Beta 2.5-FS100

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Ravens
Hyperdeck Shuttle 2-Firmware Beta 2.5-FS100
on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:56:20 pm

First of sll, I'd like to mention that I'm using a beta version of the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 firmware, so I expect no real support. I'm just reporting this in the interest of an FYI.

Second, I will note that the Sony FS100 will only output 1080i from the HDMI port.

OK..on with my observation...
I have recorded both DNxHD in MXF format, as well as DNxHD in QT wrapper.Both formats show as interlaced, which is as expected. Bringing either of these files into MC6.01 in a progressive project, the files show up in the bin as interleced...so far no surprises. The record window displays a progressive image, i.e. no interlaced artifacts(combing). When I output this timeline to a progressive output, I see interlaced artifacts in the file.

I've also tried importing the DNxHD file thru Adobe Media Encoder, first, creating a progressive output. No matter how I interpret the footage(interlaced or progressive) and how I output the footage(interlaced or progressive), I get an output file with interlaced artifacts.

The only solution that seems to yield a progressive output file is when I deinterlace the source file within MC6.01.

Perhaps this is normal behavior. Perhaps this is a shortcoming of the DNxHD codec. I just wanted to see if it is working as expected.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2-Firmware Beta 2.5-FS100
on Feb 19, 2012 at 10:42:08 pm

Sounds like a general interlaced issue. The MC GUI viewer is only showing one field any way. The only part that sounds funky to me is that you can't deinterlace through Media Encoder... but did you actually add a deinterlace filter in media encoder?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:04:56 pm

According to the Adobe manual, deinterlacing is automatically added when you select 'progressive' output from an interlaced input.

I'm also seeing a substantial pedestal and gamma shift to higher values with the Hyperdeck footage, as compared to the same capture on the native AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:14:33 am

The gamma shift is a product of the dnxhd codec. It only seems to work correctly in avid and with products that use their own non-qt decoder (resolve).

What if you manually add deinterlacing in media encoder? Does that fix?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:58:05 am

Yes, if I manually apply a deinterlace in MC6, I get a proper progressive output. I was thinking this gamma shift looked like the old Quicktime gamma shift fiasco. I ran the same test thru Davinci and still see a gamma shift between the Hyperdeck and the native AVCHD. I can correct it out, I just hope superwhites and superblacks aren't being clipped when recording.

BTW, if I didn't make it clear, I'm working on a PC(Win7 Pro) platform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]