FORUMS: list search recent posts

New HyperDeck 2.5 Beta software available now.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Lam
New HyperDeck 2.5 Beta software available now.
on Feb 17, 2012 at 1:15:13 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback about the HyperDecks. Based on your feedback, we have just released the HyperDeck 2.5 Beta software and it is now available from our website.

This beta release adds RP188 timecode capture and playback support. This means that if you have RP188 available from your SDI source, HyperDeck will be able to embed the timecode into the captured clip. You can also playback the clip in HyperDeck and have the source timecode embedded on the SDI output.

We have also added the option to record DNxHD in a Quicktime wrapped MOV file. You can import the captured Quicktime DNxHD file into almost every Quicktime compatible application. Simply download the free Avid DNxHD Quicktime codec from their website.

Lastly, we have also added remote SDI trigger recording. If you have an an SDI camera that puts a record start/stop flag in the SDI stream, you can set HyperDeck to automatically start and stop recording when it sees this flag. Even if you have a camera that sends out an incompatible start/stop flag, we also have the option of triggering the HyperDeck to record when the device detects an incoming timecode increment.

You can download the software update from this URL:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/

We hope you like this update and please keep the feedback coming.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
Re: New HyperDeck 2.5 Beta software available now.
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:57:25 pm

Kristian,

Blackmagic is really fast! Great to hear that you added the Quicktime wrapper to the DNxHD recording. That is something all users are waiting for.

And the timcode option is something that almost every multicam user is desperately waiting for.

It is really great to see that BMD keeps listening to the customers and reacts so fast.

Keep up this good work!

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Tyler Edwards
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:19:50 pm

Does this include support for timecode via RS422? I'm pumped about the quicktime wrapper! Thanks for the update.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:25:54 pm

Hello Kristian,
some of the new features are supported on Hyperdeck Shuttle 1 too?
Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:09:10 pm

As of right now, no. These features are for the Hyperdeck Studio and Shuttle 2. We are looking at seeing if we can add the timecode to the Shuttle 1 in a future update.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:37:30 pm

Hi Paolo,

Yes, we will issue another quick beta update soon that adds the timecode and SDI trigger recording features to HyperDeck Shuttle 1.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:13:57 pm

Great timing. I've been looking around for ways to work with DNxHD in Final Cut Pro, but it looks like the codec in a Quicktime .mov wrapper should work. Can you confirm that this has been tested with Final Cut and runs well? Also, based on the DNxHD/QTime data rate, what kind of recording time are we looking at on a 256gig SSD?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roger Suski
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:31:51 pm

Would love it if ProRes was also supported.

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:40:16 pm

YES! The ability to record to ProRes422, or 422HQ would be fantastic. Does anyone know the data rate on the DNxHD/QuickTime, and how much recording time that relates to on a 256Gig drive?

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:52:30 pm

It is DNxHD220 and DNxHD185 for PAL users.

In a 1080i50 project I get around 330 minutes on a 512GB SSD so for a 256GB SSD it should be around 165 minutes for a 50i project.

It should be a little bit less if you are in a 60Hz area.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:53:43 pm

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:33:50 pm

Kristian,

This is great! Finally TC, and DNxHD in a QT wrapper is incredibly handy. We wish the MXF supported more audio channels, but it seems that QT DNxHD supports 16 which is awesome. Loving that.

Rec run trigger works fine, after manually initiating a record the first time. However the SDI rec trigger on the Sony F3 does not seem to function.

These are HUGE improvements, we'll be using our devices a lot more now.

One lingering issue is that when we record 24PsF material, and play it back the signal switches to 24P instead of PsF, for many monitors this is fine, but on CRTs it is unusable. Would love to have a preference setting for this as on the decklink (i.e. use PsF instead of P).

Thanks so much,
Juan

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:50:16 pm

Juan, are you editing in Final Cut? If so, is it running well with the DNxHD/QuickTime?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:34:45 pm

I'm not. Don't like using DNxHD in FCP. It's handy for Premiere and also to trancode to ProRes for FCP. And of course works great in Avid, easy link to ama and consolidate.

EDIT: Spoke too soon on the premiere. It's not accepting the HyperDeck QT DNxHD files.

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Feb 18, 2012 at 6:08:58 am

Please Add ProRes! Please add ProRes! As much as I respect Avid, I'm a final Cut guy...

David...

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:05:09 pm

Guys,

if you are honest you must accept that FCP and even ProRes is dead. Apple will not alter FCP X to a professional app. It will stay on a level that is next to Magix Movie Maker. ProRes is related to FCP 7 and in my opinion not a futureproof format anymore, as the interest of Apple in acquirering professional users has vanished.

ProRes is a one way road:
You can use it only on Mac.
There is no real support from Apple anymore.
The majority of editing houses switch to other NLEs and to DNxHD or even XDCam as mastering codec.
Even the most hardware vendors are using DNxHD now in their products.
Do you still trust a company that kills it's professional apps from one day to another? (FCP, Shake, FCP Server)
There are rumours that Apple will discontinue the Mac Pro line.

Why should Blackmagic add a codec that will not be relevant anymore in 2 or 4 years?
And in addition to that you could use the Quicktime DNxHD files in FCP without any problem! What is the advantage of using Prores on FCP if you can easily use the QT DNxHD files?

I would understand if Blackmagic would add the Cineform codec. That would be an improvement. But ProRes is only [cynicism on] for the nostalgic guys that can't accept that Apple doesn't care for them anymore but wants to sell IPad apps. [cynicism off]

I was an FCP editor for years but I had to move on. In our world it becomes more important to colaborate and to be compatible with all kinds of OS and NLE. To be tied to only one platform is really old thinking. And remember: Not the machine or the NLE is telling the story - the editor does, no matter what brand his NLE software is.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 18, 2012 at 4:31:25 pm

Andreas,

I agree with you about ProRes, it really looks like it's the end of the line for it.

But I'm hearing that even the Quicktime wrapped files the new software is outputting isn't compatible with Premiere Pro, to me, that's a major problem.

EDIT:
Hmm, after reading on the Adobe Forums, it seems the new Quicktime wrapped files do import fine in CS5.5.

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:43:34 pm

Andreas,

I'm with you on this. I'm still on FCP 7, and when it comes to the point where I need to make a change, I'm going to seriously look at all platforms. The good thing is that 7 is going to be just fine for awhile, so I'll be able to watch how Apple evolves over the next year, but it definitely seems like they are moving into a completely consumer based i pad market. Sad.

I have NO problem moving to the DNxHD/Quicktime files, but many people have said it doesn't play well with FCP. I'd love to get ahold of a clip and play around with it.

Lee

Return to posts index

Frank Gonzales
on Aug 14, 2012 at 5:07:03 am

LOL...Boy did this guy turn out to be totally wrong about FCP!

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:45:23 pm

And David. I received an email back from BlackMagic tech support that said they had no plans to ad ProRes in the near future, but it is a highly requested upgrade.

Lee

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:37:32 am

Juan Salvo is right, the only way to make it auto start stop with a sony F3 over SDI is to set the camera to Rec Run for TC and set the shuttle to "When SDI Timecode Runs". Then to punch record, then stop it.

After that the shuttle runs like a champ!

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 18, 2012 at 7:37:30 pm

Juan, or anyone who's updated to 2.5. Would you be willing to upload a short (15 seconds or so) DNxHD QuickTime clip to me so I can toss it into FCP, add some filters, etc and see how it all works out? My direct email is leevideo1@yahoo.com if someone will do that. I have a yousendit.com account that you can use to send it.

Thanks!

Lee

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 18, 2012 at 8:44:57 pm

I would actually like the same, and I have a Dropbox account if necessary.

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:16:01 pm

The files seem to work okay in FCP7..... Here is a link to download a short clip. Hope this helps!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/GA-Documents/dans/Capture0013.mov.zip

dan.

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:34:55 pm

Thanks Dan! Going to give it a go now.

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:54:09 pm

Yes, thanks a million Dan!

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:48:05 am

Checked it out, it imports into Premiere Pro CS5.5 perfectly.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:55:17 am

Weird. I can't get it to import into cs5.0 at all. Are you running lion or snow leopard?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:26:53 pm

Juan, I'm running Windows 7.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Feb 19, 2012 at 7:37:17 pm

Hi,

I believe the reason why the MOV file does not import into PPro CS5 is because of how the Audio Track is stored in the MOV file.

The Audio is stored as one Audio Track with multiple interleaved Mono Channels identified with QuickTime SoundDescription Version 2 - and it seems that PPro CS5 doesn't understand this Audio format in a MOV file but PPro CS5.5 does understand this Audio format in a MOV file and can import the MOV file.

If the Audio was stored as one Audio Track per One Mono Channel identified with QuickTime SoundDescription Version 0 then PPro CS5 would probably import the MOV file fine.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 19, 2012 at 10:39:53 pm

Gregg, that seems to be the culprit. Removing the audio tracks through qt allows the DNxHD files to come on to premiere CS5. Now if I could just figure out a way to get the QT engine to recognize the data as already scaled to that it doesn't scale it down to 7.5-90 thereby introducing a gamma shift. Then it might be useful in a broader way.

Are there best practices to using DNxHD i'm unfamiliar with?

After Effects color management interpretation allow me to get in the ballpark by specifying it as scaled 709, which while not dead on starts to approach the color. However premiere doesn't seem to support color management.

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on May 29, 2012 at 8:55:30 pm

Has anyone played an Avid created quicktime (175x) and had the audio play out the Hyperdeck's HDMI? We've tested playing audio through the unit (HDMI in/out passthrough) and that works, and recorded onto the unit via HDMI and that audio plays back fine. But audio on an Avid-exported quicktime doesn't. Big Endian (Avid's default), Little Endian (converted using Compressor), assigning the channels in Quicktime to mono or discrete or left/right makes no difference. I've pasted the audio from the recorded clip into the exported clip... no good. The only difference I see in the 'properties' in quicktime is that the recorded clip has 16 channels (only first two have audio, as was fed to it) and the exported clip has only 2.

Otherwise, a very appealing little piece of gear that may be perfect for taking edits to screening rooms.

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

currently on a MacBookPro, Media Composer 5.0.3.5

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:54:07 am

I get a massive gamma shift with DNxHD qts on fcp vs avid. And it seems to jump in fcp depending on playback. I suspect this is standard behavior for DNxHD, but is anyone else seeing this? It looks great in Avid though and is a huge improvement over Xdcam from f3. Will probably use qt wrapper even for avid workflow, as qt on hyperdeck supports more audio (16 vs 4 channels.)

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Feb 19, 2012 at 1:09:35 pm

Guess only CS 5.5 support AVID DNxHD Mov files - CS5 do not. I cannot imort them into CS5 but play them with quicktime player.
Avid Codec 2.3.7 installed.
Now I just need to upgrade to the newest Adobe CS package to make it work.
This update is great and makes the shuttle2 a very usefull recorder. Thanks BM.

Return to posts index

Lee Schneider
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:47:51 pm

The DNxHD QuickTime is a nightmare in Final Cut and completely unusable. Any effect or even just a fade to black causes you to render. And there is a big gama shift from when the playhead is still to when playback is started. Maybe it's just me, but thats what I got. I converted to file to ProRes, and it worked great.

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]