Davinci 8 - Tangent Wave - Decklink HD Extreme 3D+
Final Cut Suite
Adobe CS5.5 Suite
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Return to posts index

vince gaffney
Re: Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Macintosh_9.2_Beta 3 released
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:57:26 pm

I installed it. I still get 720X486 output as the only option within FCPX under playback. Set to 1080i in system prefs. Works fine in MC6.0.1

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Martin Korczak
on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:57:14 pm

Vince: FCPX A/V output has to be changed in System Preferences panel (in driver) EVERY TIME you drag new media to FCPX. It doesn't automatically match the output to video like old FCP or Premiere.
It does not seem to be fully communicating with driver either, so every time you put new media, you have to check what it is, close FCPX, set new "video standard" value in Blackmagic Design to match video you will be working with and then start FCPX again. Very odd, very backwards, very $299 software like, not really usable to anyone unless it's a one off holiday video project, but I guess - better than nothing.

As for the 9.2 beta 3 package.

DNxHD support in Media Express 3.1 seems to be limited to MXF only, I can't get any DNxHD movs to work. If this is intentional limitation it should probably be clearly stated in read me, as it means it's of no use to most of us. Additionally DNxHD MXF playback appears to suffer from the same FCPX bug - DNxHD output from Media Express is related to video standard value in System Preferences, not standard of the video dragged into the ME.
Also, as far as I can see, not all essences are supported, sample from Avid seems to work, sample from Omneon crashes the ME etc. Come on Blackmagic - add DNxHD in mov compatibility, it's only right thing to do.

All of the old media express newer than 2.5 issues still exist in 3.1:
- Uncompressed 8bit files cannot be played back unless writing library header is set to "Apple QuickTime", Media Express 2.4 and below used to play anything in Blackmagic 8 bit 2VUY codec regardless of what software it was created with, as long as the file was in mov format. I still have to keep and use ME 2.4 for compatibility.
- multichannel audio is still captured as some weird single QT sound track with mapping instead of separate 5.1 mono tracks + stereo Lt Rt as played back by the deck. Same in reverse - standard 5.1+LtRt captures cannot be played back from Media Express to decks either.
- all SD video captures still have incorrect aspect ratio headers. Despite "Use anamorphic" set in Preferences all files end up with 4:3 header and not even as much quicktime DAR set. This issue is so old I don't remember ME captures ever displaying correctly without changing it in QT and re-saving.
- 1080p 25Hz signal over SDI from some equipment (eg. TVOne converters) is not recognised by Media Express correctly (black screen) and cannot be captured, despite being correctly recognised by decks and Blackmagic's own UltraScope. This is odd as Media Express is not that precise or picky when it comes to signal compatibility - for example 1080i 50Hz signal can be captured via 1080p 25 setting without any issues.
- minor issue, but still - "Grab Still Frame" always capture images in container aspect and size not display aspect and size. Anamorphic setting in preferences is ignored too. Why would anyone need frame grab stretched differently to what they actually watch on the screen.

I'll probably find more issues tomorrow. ;)

Return to posts index

vince gaffney
on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:17:07 am

Thanks Martin. Even that doesn't work. I've reinstalled the drivers 2X with same results. I suppose eventually it will work. Until then, Media Composer and Final cut 7.

Return to posts index

Fabio Cormack
on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:29:57 am

My results:

Still no video out here via SDI (Decklink HD 3D)

Now if I change the settings on the Mac BMD Preferences panel, the changes is reflected on FCPX after restarting the software, what was not happening for me on the previous Beta 2 version.

But no video output (I never had the video output working via SDI on these 3 beta drivers)

Fabio Cormack
Davinci 8 - Tangent Wave - Decklink HD Extreme 3D+
Final Cut Suite
Adobe CS5.5 Suite
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Return to posts index

vince gaffney
on Feb 17, 2012 at 3:31:04 pm

I now have 1080i output over sdi and component. it's not exactly smooth and it reqires a restart of the system.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 17, 2012 at 6:38:23 pm

I'll pass these observations on to the PM for review.

But this item in particular is working as designed.
- all SD video captures still have incorrect aspect ratio headers. Despite "Use anamorphic" set in Preferences all files end up with 4:3 header and not even as much quicktime DAR set. This issue is so old I don't remember ME captures ever displaying correctly without changing it in QT and re-saving.

This setting in the preferences is a "display" setting only. As the native aspect ratio of Anamorphic SD is 4:3 (data stored out of aspect), We are relying on the device to decode this at 16:9. So that setting will not change the content of the file, it just displays it in Media Express at 16:9 even though the data is still written at 4:3.

The audio issue is interesting, i'll have to find out if there was a particular reason we did it this way instead of on discreet mono channels or in stereo pairs.

The still image thing is an interesting point. Again going back to the way that "16:9 preference" works, it's only for displaying the image, it doesn't actually change the content. So, in a sense it does match the file. I'd also like to see more robust options for dealing with anamorphic SD video.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Martin Korczak
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:01:48 pm

> But this item in particular is working as designed.
> This setting in the preferences is a "display" setting only. As the native aspect ratio of Anamorphic SD is 4:3 (data stored out of aspect)

Fair enough, if the setting is for Media Express display only, shouldn't the capture be as you said - "out of aspect" and retain SAR, which for CCIR 601 PAL is 5:4 (720:576 is 5:4 not 4:3)?

Thanks for you help btw. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]