FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM HD + SD inputs?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Crowley
ATEM HD + SD inputs?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:03:11 am

I have heard that the latest release of firmware for the ATEM switcher products now supports SD-SDI. But does it support mixed inputs? That is the ability to handle some SD-SDI inputs while operating in HD mode?

Are the release notes available online somewhere? I couldn't find them on the website.

A BMD rep at a trade show last week suggested that this kind of question would be answered by email from BMD, but there are no email addresses that I could find on the website, either.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
Re: ATEM HD + SD inputs?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:04:22 pm

The current firmware does indeed support either SD or HD, but the inputs only synchronize; they do not do standards conversion. The bottom line is that you must set the ATEM to whatever format you want the output to be, and then every input needs to conform to that format. This detail is given in the current revision of the manual (they updated it along with the software). The sort of mixed-format functionality you seem to be looking for is more expensive: you find it in something like the Ross Crossover, for example.

Another improvement with the newer firmware: you can map physical inputs to whichever switcher buttons you prefer (and the keyboard hot keys follow). If you use the GPI / Tally interface, its relays aren't affected by the keyboard remapping: that means that a given relay always corresponds to a particular physical input to the switcher, which is nice: different users can customize the panel to their preferences without worrying about messing up camera tally.

Two issues I notice that are still unresolved: the switcher does not pass closed captions, and there is no provision to use the GPI inputs from the GPI / Tally adapter to control switcher functions.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:11:31 pm

[Jeff Hartman] "Another improvement with the newer firmware: you can map physical inputs to whichever switcher buttons you prefer (and the keyboard hot keys follow)."
Does this apply to the ATEM TVS too?

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:59:29 pm

Yes, you can map buttons to the switcher inputs with the ATEM TVS also. The software is identical, but some things are greyed out if using a ATEM TVS, for obvious reasons (DVE, Stinger, etc.).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]