FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amardeep Nagi
Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic
on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:48:08 pm

i record live weddings,events.i m really confused which recorder to use AJA KI PRO or Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Studio..things about this two recorders came to my knowledge is that AJA record proress 422 and Blackmagic Captures Uncompressed HD QuickTime Files. my concern is that i edit on FCP 7 and i m really willin not to spend on AJA but the footage of blackmagic , does it intergrates with FCP 7. setup can be sony HXRNX5U camera ,Switcher can be ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher & confused between AJA ki pro or Blackmagic Hyper Deck.

NOTHING IS PERMANENT

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
Re: Selecting HD Recorder AJA or Blackmagic
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:01:53 am

Both are excellent choices, however I would say that you get more bang for the bucks if you get the HyperDeck Studio. Yes, the files from HyperDeck Studio are compatible with FCP7. Remember that you will need to purchase a separate embedder, as the HyperDeck Studio does not have any audio inputs.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Amardeep Nagi
on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:12:07 pm

Thanks for your help sir. i would like to ask one more question. that how many hours are recorded in a 120 gb SSD . i m talking about full hd quality 1920x1080 60i in Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio.

NOTHING IS PERMANENT

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:28:30 pm

I have an AJA KiPro (not the Mini) and I like it a lot. It is great.

The HyperDeck recording time was a BIG negative to my choice. I mostly do long-form event videography that may run 2 hours or more. That would require SEVERAL SSD drives. Even offloading them twice a day, the stack of SSD drives could easily cost more than the HyperDeck itself. I just don't need such a low-compression video storage solution.

If BMD made a version that compressed down to the ProRes standards (like the KiPro), and especially if they made a model with audio inputs, I would pay 2x or 3x what the HyperDeck sells for.

IMHO the HyperDeck is an excellent solution, but, alas, not the solution for any of the situations that I deal with. :-(

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:47:15 am

With a 128 GB SSD you will get about 12,5 minutes of full HD-recording. More on that here: http://blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/faqs/?sid=3960&pid=3969&os=mac

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:28:03 pm

Hi
Be sure that the AVID DNxHD MXF files fra Black Magic can be directly imported into FCP - they cannot into Adobe Premiere.
The Black Magic recorder needs to be started on the recorder itself - it will not start/stop when TC on the input is starting and stopping.

If the Aja recorder supports that - I would recommend the AJA.
I own a Shuttle 2 and I need to buy further software to get the files into premiere - I need to buy a plate before I can mount the shuttle on the camera too.

Return to posts index

Robert Buncher
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:23:35 pm

A friend of mine had the AJA KI PRO Mini and had so many problems that he sent it back and is going to buy one of the ATOMOS products.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:36:04 pm

Well the black magic shuttle 2 cannot do so many different things but it can record video :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]