FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording multiple sources

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klaus Koenig
Recording multiple sources
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:30:19 pm

Hi,

I need to capture 6 channels of 1080p60 video.

I am planning to use 6 Mac Minis each with a Ultra Studio 3D (or Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt when available).

We have successfully tested the setup using Media Express and it captures nicely to disk using ProRes422 LT.

The only thing that is missing is that I need to instantly start and stop recording on all 6 machines. Unfortunately there is no control within Media Express to do that.

We have also tested the Softron MovieRecorder and whilst this has the functionality to remotely start recording on multiple machines (even through a iPad application) it miserably fails to capture 1080p60. It has massive frame drops.
Is there any application out there that would provide this functionality? Is there any other way of doing it?

Thanks for your help!

Klaus

Return to posts index

James O'Malley
Re: Recording multiple sources
on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:52:33 pm

Hi Klaus,
Why are you not capturing the footage to each of the 6 camera devices you are using? ProRes LT is "Light" by design and so not an ideal master format.

James P. O'Malley
http://www.carnavalpictures.net

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:36:23 pm

Have you considered using media express with apple remote desktop? If all the mac mini have the same display settings and application interface locations you could just use one remote desktop session to control all of them simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Kirk Baggott
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:56:12 pm

Only way I can think of starting all 6 at the same time would be to set up some kind of macro and use the apple remote to trigger all at once. Assuming you have timecode sync, you may not need to start them all at the exact same instant.

Other option is to use KiPros... they can all be linked together and start/stop using a master and slaves or a web interface. They actually have ethernet or wifi capability. The KiPro are inherently more stable, but basically double your cost (about 3,995 right now with a 250GB HDD). You can rent them most places for about $600 a week.

Return to posts index

Klaus Koenig
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:10:22 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick answers...

I am actually not capturing cameras, I am connecting to the HDMI output of some image generators which drive a multi channel display system of a flight simulator. These computers run at 1080p60.

I had a look at the KiPro and they can not accept 1080p60.

The problem with the VNC is that a VNC session is only connected to one computer. One can have multiple connections open, but you only control one session at a time. It in not possible to kind of overlay 6 sessions and then sort of carbon copy through them.

How could I implement some sort of apple remote control? Media Express does not support apple script... So how could this be done?

Really too bad that the movie recorder does not encode 10€0p60 eve though the Blackmagic supports it....

Thans for your help!

Greetings from arctic cold Germany...

Klaus

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:35:17 pm

"The problem with the VNC is that a VNC session is only connected to one computer. One can have multiple connections open, but you only control one session at a time. It in not possible to kind of overlay 6 sessions and then sort of carbon copy through them."

Actually Apple Remote Desktop does allow you to do this. It's in the app store.

Return to posts index

Klaus Koenig
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:49:49 pm

Dear Juan,

I looked into Remote Desktop and I could not find the function to operate a graphics button on multiple remote desktop windows.

It is possible to have multiple desktops displayes as thumbnails and then simple click into each one individually. But I could not find any confirmation that kind of select all desktops and clicking into one of them would do the job.

Do you know how to do it?

Thanks

Klaus

Return to posts index

Kirk Baggott
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:41:12 pm

You can add a custom keyboard shortcut (System Preferences :: Keyboard :: Keyboard Shortcuts :: Application Shortcuts) to any menu item in any program. Click on the plus sign. Leave Application as "All Applications" (not sure why, but I couldn't choose media express). Type "Capture Now" as the menu title and assign a keyboard Shortcut. I used Ctrl-Opt-Command-Space. Click Add and go back to Media Express. Click on file in the menu bar... if you did everything correctly you should see your custom keyboard shortcut listed beside "Capture Now". Then you will need to purchase something like Remote Buddy (never used, but heard good things about) and map your remote to the shortcut. As long as all 6 minis can see the remote signal at the same time, this SHOULD work.

There may be some other options out there that will allow you to trigger multiple computers using something similar (but fundamentaly different) to teleport, but I can't think of one.

Return to posts index

luke irvine
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:51:42 am

the best thing would be to purchase softron's movie recorder app for each computer

it can be controlled via there software over a network or via an ipad.

Return to posts index

Klaus Koenig
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:44:43 pm

Hi Luke,

unfortunately the Softron Movie Recorder can not record 1080p60.

We have massive frame drops with the Movie Recorder.

Softron support said that 1080p60 will not work on the mini server.

Rgds.

Klaus

Return to posts index

James O'Malley
on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:26:31 pm

Hi Klaus,
What about renting 3 Sony HDCAM SR decks, all machine controllable, use each deck's dual stream HDSDI path to record 2 streams of 4:2:2 HD 60i to tape as your master archive, then for your internet elements, you can either capture the 3 dual stream feeds into 3 computers, or possibly rent 6x (AJA or BMD) H.264 converter boxes and convert each 4:2:2 stream into H.264 in real time.

I haven't done this exact thing before, but it may be a solution for deck control and web ready content prep.

James P. O'Malley
http://www.carnavalpictures.net

Return to posts index

luke irvine
Re: cording multiple sources
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:15:31 pm

I wonder if "On air tools" software has the same limitations as the "softron" ones. they have one that's called just:in.

I guess you could also get a Mac pro with a decklink quad and do 4 channels per Mac. but that might defeat the propose of what you are trying to do.

Return to posts index

Klaus Koenig
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:46:40 pm

Dear Kirk,

thanks for your ideas!

We are now looking into remote GUI scripting.
It could be possible to write an Apple script for that which would press the button remotely.

Thanks

Klaus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]