FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Smart View delivery issues

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Blackmagic Smart View delivery issues
on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:07:48 am

Hi -
ever since beta testing the Smart View 17" HD Monitor, every one of my clients wants one. But they are not available. So today, I called Blackmagic in the US, and spoke to a young lady that said that they are shipping. So I had my dealer call One Source (the distributor for Blackmagic in the US), and they said it will be about 30 days to get delivery. And of course, you can clearly see that the huge dealer B&H clearly shows that the SmartView is "currently unavailable".

I just finished a big remote truck, and I really could use a few NON BETA UNITS.

And while I am complaining (I buy Blackmagic products every day now, so I feel that I can complain) - I totally agree with Richard Crowley who posted a few threads down, about the general Blackmagic documentation. How much would it cost Blackmagic to hire a tech writer, and have actual DOCUMENTATION for every product, intead of relying on silk screening on the products. Wouldn't this cut down on all the stupid tech support calls that Blackamgic gets, and save Blackmagic a lot of money ?

these docs could simply be .pdf's on the Blackmagic website - it would cost Blackmagic almost nothing, other than the time to created the doc.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric van Engelen
Re: Blackmagic Smart View delivery issues
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:56:39 am

It isn't really a problem that they don't deliver, it's more that they won't communicate about it.
As soon as they remove the 'Shipping in february" sign on the website, they should be able to ship it to everybody that wants the product.
If they were more transparant about their delivery-schedule, we would know what to expect, and use that to plan our projects.
Remember that -for example- eventually the ATEM 2 M/E Switcher will be 6 months late! Just don't promise things that you can't live up to, right?

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:27:47 pm

Hey guys,

Yeah I can totally understand how that would be confusing and frustrating. So, Bob, obviously the tech was relaying the information that she had which is that they are, in fact shipping. Okay...so let's talk meat and potatoes. We've already sent out our initial shipments but are currently waiting on replenishment. So the items have shipped, backorders obviously being filled first. Once we get more we'll start getting more into the channel.

Eric, i'm not making an excuse here, obviously in cases of the 2ME we're pretty late on that one, for which there obviously reasons. In other cases we simply underestimate the demand a certain product will generate.

In short, I hear you on these things and it's something we're very aware of and are pushing to do better on.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Eric van Engelen
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:59:41 pm

And I appreciate the effort that you guys are showing by trying to shake up the professional video-market! It would be great if you could add another difference compared with the 'old' companies: be transparant about everything. Just tell the world that you can't ship the ME 2 switcher cause you have to redesign the hardware. Just tell the world that you hope to ship the first 1000 units of the Smartview HD in the coming six weeks. Just tell the world that you've got a deal with AVID to only support DNxHD in the Hyperdecks.

In the other ways your work is great (nice products, software-updates every four weeks, publicly, set and low prices, and all the nice things that are to come)!

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:31:35 pm

Yup, I will certainly pass it on. We definitely try to be transparent that is one reason it is never hard to find a price on our product. It's on the website on every bit of marketing. But I do get where you are coming from to be sure.

A bit off-topic: As a side note, the DNxHD works with our Media Express as of the current BETA release of the drivers.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]