FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperDeck Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maros cukan
HyperDeck Studio
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:12:40 am

Hi,

I would like to buy 6 pieces of HyperDeck Studio.Is it possible to synchronize the start record by just one touch all of them?
Regards
Maros

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
Re: HyperDeck Studio
on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:00:38 pm

You cannot do this out of the box, but you may be able to do it with an external RS-422 editing controller that support multiple recorders, or you could probably make something custom to do it, however I am not sure how you would go about doing that.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:23:20 am

Please have in mind that it currently not possible to synchronize the timecode of several Hyperdeck devices. Actually right now there is not a single timecode setting that you can edit on those devices. Everytime you start a new recording the Timecode starts at 0:00:00:00.

That makes multicamera productions impossible right now with the Hyperdeck. It would be the perfect device for ISO camera recording but without timecode it is not usable for this purpose.

BMD says that Timecode options will follow in a later firmware release. Allthough no one knows when this will happen.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:41:20 pm

I just checked the final firmware version 2.0 of the Hyperdeck and it appears that the Timcode now is regenerated from the last clip. That means that if you recorded a clip that was 0:01:50:00 long, the next clip would start at 0:01:50:01.

And here is a little bug:
If you start the recording after you played a clip, the TC starts again at 0:00:00:00 in the LCD window BUT isn't the recorded timecode as it will be regenerated from the last clip. If you play this clip back after recording it shows the correct (regenerated) timecode.

Still there is currently no way to edit or sync the timecode bewteen several Hyperdecks.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:25:05 am

One work around people are using is to embedded LTC as audio. And record that. Then use your preferred edit software to read the LTC from the embedded audio. It's a very rough work around but makes it possible. Unfortunately when you record DNxHD you only get two channels of audio. In QT its 16, therefore more workable.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:45:12 am

Juan,

that is a really good trick - but even that is difficult because you would have to use an HD-SDI audio embedder as the Hyperdeck has no audio connections. Just wanted to say this for everyone that doesn't have a Hyperdeck right now.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:47:22 am

I agree with you that people should be warned. Hopefully this gets fixed very soon. The LTC trick can be done by feeding the TCout froma professional camera back into itself as an audio signal. There by embedding the LTC in the HD-SDI signal it's feeding out.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:30:25 pm

Great idea!

But you would need to distribute this signal to all recoding Hyperdecks or all cameras to get synced timecode on all decks.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:31:42 pm

Yes, you'd have to sync all the cameras. Just like with any other multicam shoot.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:08:05 pm

But in an ideal world you would setup one TC generator and feed all Hyperdecks with the same timecode. Or you would use one Hyperdeck as master and feed its TC to all others. Much easier but not possible as there are no TC in and outs on the Hyperdeck. The only option would be to use TC over the 9pin protocol. But that is not supported right now.

But for now your idea is awesome!

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:39:14 am

I doubt they'll ever support tc over 9pin. Pretty sure it's just there for source side control. The hyperdeck functions quite well as a VTR attached to FCP or AVID. I think the only TC source they'll enable will be RP188 over HD-SDI. Or at least that's what's implied by the tech specs on the product site.

Return to posts index

Kevin Young
on Feb 14, 2012 at 8:00:24 am

That is very unfortunate, because you could connect a Adrienne AEC-uBox to the RS422 serial connector and feed LTC to the deck. I need 8 ISO recorders and this would work great, but I need sync'ed timecode. Maybe AJA will make a rack version of the KiPro.

"Up Close and Remote"

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:17:07 pm

we use an Alpermann TC-30 SI which reads a RS422 connection between a controller (edit controller) and the HyperDeck Studio and converts RS422 Timecodes into pretty nice LTC signal.

The other cheap way to control 6 HyperDecks is an 3 dual port RS422 Serial USB converter (Exsys from Ebay, 25,- € each...) and a software called V-Control (http://www.vman.cc) This software can control more than six RS422 ports, Routers (Videohubs), Mixers, etc...

You can define Scipts or Macros to control it... There is a free version for testing available.

Cheers.
Gunter.

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction

PostFactory GmbH
Leuschnerdamm 13
D-10999 Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

Ricardo Couto
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:11:29 pm

Hello Gunter,

I have an ATEM 1 Switcher and 4 Hyperdeck Studio in a OB van.

Need to synchronize timecode, You said that connecting the TC 30 si by the 422 port that will generate LTC on the hyperdeck studio? What more do i need to synchronize all 4 hyperdeck?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Kevin Young
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:27:22 pm

Hyperdeck Studio 2

"Up Close and Remote"

Return to posts index

Ricardo Couto
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:32:13 pm

Sory Kevin,

I didn´t understud.

Return to posts index

maros cukan
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:53:07 pm

you hve to embeded timecode to one of audio track,and in postproduction for example in avid have to rad timecode from audiotrack

Return to posts index

Ricardo Couto
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:59:08 pm

Does ir work also in FCP?

Is there nay way to input timecode by the 422 port?

Return to posts index

Tyler Edwards
on May 24, 2012 at 3:04:35 pm

I can vouch that the Adrienne ubox-2 route does not work. I purchased 5 hyperdecks and 5 ubox units on the basis that BME said they would support timecode over RS422. It seems in the latest software that only RP188 is supported. Come on BlackMagic! I have 5 decks in a multicam situation that I can't lock together. The manual even says it can support timecode over RS422 but no matter of button pushing or different cables will make it work. The embedded audio option is extremely expensive when you've got to buy an embedder for 5 decks. What say you Black magic?

Return to posts index

John Heidema
on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:03:56 pm

When you set the Hyperdecks with the new software of feb.6 to follow the TC of the camera's and than before production set all you camera's sync free run (Sony does it with the small remote and all my camera's answer to it), when you now start the recorder to record, it automaticly gets the camera's TC, everytime you pusch the rec button and like this, all the decks are in sync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]