FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperDeck Studio - Supported Playback Formats

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Haggard
HyperDeck Studio - Supported Playback Formats
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:46:22 pm

Does the HyperDeck studio support playback of any other formats other than uncompressed and DNxHD?

I want to use it to play back commercial spots in a live broadcast, but my workflow is geared towards prores and I'd prefer not to spend the money on large SSD drives for uncompressed.

My 2 Laptops are tied up running ATEM software and graphics display.

Return to posts index

Josh Haggard
Re: HyperDeck Studio - Supported Playback Formats
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:49:39 pm

For those interested I spoke with BlackMagic and they confirmed that playback only supports uncompressed or DNxHD 220x.

Technician said a transcoder might be able to convert a ProRes file to DNxHD but didn't want to guarantee it as all their testing had been done on files either recorded on the HyperDeck studio or used on an NLE where that format was native.

He also said that ProRes was the 2nd most popular codec request after DNxHD, but it wasn't very high up in their priorities.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: HyperDeck Studio - Supported Playback Formats
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:07:22 pm

Hey Josh,

That is correct. The Hyperdeck Studio and Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 support Uncompressed 10bit YUV 4:2:2 and Avid DNxHD MXF 220x (which is a 220 Mb/second 10bit file). The Hypderdeck Shuttle 1 (initial hardware release) only supports the uncompressed format.

Media Composer 6 is a complex piece of software and you can export a file as MXF but it takes some work. Exporting a ProRes file is far less complex, but it can be done if you have MC6.

I'd like to kinda weigh in on the last statement as well. I think it's fair to say that ProRes is currently the MOST popularly requested codec. But because it is a feature that does not exist, and has not been announced as a feature, assigning it a priority is purely speculation.

Short version: I don't think that saying it's low on a priority list is accurate.

I do apologize for any confusion. I like to make sure the support staff stay away from saying stuff like that as it can lead to misunderstandings like this.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]