Re: Ultrascope for Mac
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:04:05 pm

no

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:39:47 pm

Could you elaborate, Bob? According to the specs on BMD's site, the UltraScope is not 'qualified' for use with the GT120's but the specs of the GT120 are more than those requested on BMD's support note related to graphic requirements.

To the original poster, the specs for Mac can be found in these two articles: http://blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/supportnotes/?sid=3956&pid=4022...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:53:59 pm

from this page -
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote/?s...

UltraScope, Resolve, DeckLink, Multibridge and Intensity – Apple Minimum Graphics Cards Requirements
UltraScope for Mac (BETA)
Blackmagic UltraScope requires a graphics card that supports Open GL 2.1 or better and have a Texture Fill Rate of >22,000 MT/s. The following PCI express graphics cards have been certified for use with Blackmagic UltraScope:

•nVidia GeForce GTX 285

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=gtx+285+for+mac&gs_upl=2297l...

$380 on line right now.

The GeForce GTX 285 is not the GT120.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Jan 29, 2012 at 7:14:13 pm

Obviously the GT120 and GTX 285 are not the same card. That's irrelvant. Just because a card isn't 'certified' for use doesn't mean it won't work. I use 'noncertified' cards with Adobe's Mercury engine and it works just fine.

The specs of the GT120 meet the requirements posted on the page as far as texture fill rate and OpenGL version. There is a high likelyhood that the GT120 would work with the UltraScope. Unless someone has tried it and it specifically doesn't, you can't really just throw out a blanket 'no'.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:14:07 am

here is my reasoning for throwing out a blanket "no".

I received an early Ultrascope. I tried to beta test the original Ultrascope at Electronic Arts, who has a FORTUNE in hi end graphics cards, and yes - Open GL cards (these original tests were done on a Dell PC, not a MAC). And with the extensive inventory that Electronic Arts had at their disposal (cost no object) - NONE of the cards worked. I took this card to a small production company, who installed it into their old AVID xw8400 PC. This graphics card did not work as well, so my client drove over to CompUSA, and bought the "qualified" graphics card, and ALL OF A SUDDEN - everything started to work perfectly. This was my first ultrascope, and this was my big lesson.

I have "yelled" at Blackmagic numerous times about this, and if you search this forum, you will see countless people frustrated about trying to get a "qualified" graphics card for the Ultrascope.

The GT-120 has been out for a LONG time (it was on every default
Mac Pro Nehalem Model Identifier 4,1) - and it was NEVER qualified by Blackmagic, so I bet you a nickle that it doesn't work.

I recently wrote an article on the Pocket Ultrascope for Creative Cow. When I first saw this unit at a different client, running on a Sony VAIO 24" Touchscreen, my first and only question was "how did you know the graphics card would work". And they replied "we took a chance".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]