FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shuttle 2???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Metz
Shuttle 2???
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:43:45 pm

Hello,

I´ve just read about the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Does this mean I can throw my Shuttle right into trash because DNxHD recording will not be able with it via software update???

Greetings
Rafael

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
Re: Shuttle 2???
on Jan 21, 2012 at 8:07:07 am

The firmware is on BM Download page. - I was told from the Danish dealer that it was just a firmware update. They will send me a shuttle so I can upgrade myself! Hope they are right.
Why don't you try first :)

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jan 21, 2012 at 8:52:46 am

I´ve already downloaded the 2.0 Beta - but it doesn´t look like a firmware update; only a tool where you can change the recording format (which is greyed and only uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2 as usual).
If there is a way to update the firmware I will :-)

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 21, 2012 at 8:59:48 am

Does not sound good. Maybe it really is a new model and not just a advertisment stunt.

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jan 21, 2012 at 9:02:04 am

Yes, and because there is no real clarity about that I think it is new hardware - what would really be a pain...

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:55:52 pm

Bad news, guys. This is a hardware and firmware update. Too bad BMD doesn't offer to do a hardware upgrade on the Shuttle 1's if you sent it in.

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:26:30 pm

Meeeeeeeeehp!

Ok, thank you - so, let´s switch to Atomos Samurai with DNxHD upgrade...

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:48:37 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, we cannot update the older units to support DNxHD. In order to accommodate the DNxHD codec, a bigger chip has to be used in the product. We've have been quietly shipping HyperDeck Shuttle 2s a couple of months ago and this update will allow the newer units to use DNxHD.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:56:00 pm

Hi Kristian,

so, unfortunately I have one of the first units. That is really too bad because I like the shuttle very much - but the situation now is really a bad one...

Rafael

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 22, 2012 at 10:52:45 pm

Hi
I orderd one 2 days ago - how can I be shure it is the right model ?
I will receive it tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 22, 2012 at 11:07:26 pm

Hi again.
It have serial number 787913 - can you tell if it's a model 2 ?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:40:01 am

Hi,

If you connect it to your host computer and download the beta software, the software window will tell you that a HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is connected.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:30:55 am

I have not got it yet. I will have to deny the package today - and wait until the company can promise me that they will send the"2" model.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:44:47 pm

Talked to the dealer and he had 2pcs. of model "2" and one old model in stock so I opened my Shuttle pacage and it showed up to be the "2" model. He was not aware of the difference.
Installed the BNC converters and the new harddisk that were quite as expensive as the Shuttle. Installed Macdrive and formatted the disk.
Went to the garden to film some birds - All working well - at my editing suite (Premiere CS5) I installed the Avid 2.3.4LE codec ................. Premiere do not support AVID DNxHD - MXF files.

All those things you have to know - all you can read is what the stuff can - not what it cannot do. Guess I have to put the shuttle on the shelf until Premiere support this format - if they will ever do.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:02:11 pm

You could pay another 200 bucks and buy a license of "Calibrated MXF Ultilitys". That is a conversion utility that supports (in the new Beta version that will be released soon) the Hyperdeck MXF files.

If you install the utility you can drag and drop the MXF files right into Premiere without any conversion.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:03:58 pm

For anyone who would like to try his best in converting the MXF files created by Hyperdeck here is a 10 second clip, that was recorded by a Hyperdeck Studio in DNxHD mode.

If someone finds a way to convert these MXF files into a format that can be used by other apps like PPro or AFX, please let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/axcb1aax0748p07/Hyperdeck10sekDNXHD.rar

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:51:52 pm

I have seached a lot and tried a lot of conversion programs - I have not found a way - not even a way to watch the recorded stuff.
This is a sick codec.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 24, 2012 at 7:55:51 pm

Bo,

there is the MXF Utility from "Calibrated" that works with the Hyperdeck MXF files. The only downside is: you have to pay 200$ to get it.

With that software you can create Quicktime Reference files that point to the MXF files. These file are fully compatible to all other NLEs. Or you can simply drag and drop the MXF file into Premiere Pro CS5.5 if you have the MXF utility installed.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:15:52 pm

I have tried the "trial" version - but it do not work. I dont want to pay for something that I do not know if it works. Have you tried it and made it work ?

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:18:49 pm

The last stable version doesn't support the Hyperdeck MXF. If you send an email to the support of "Calibrated" they will send you a beta version that will work with the files.

They are extremly helpful and fast. Give it a try.

With the beta trial you will only be able to convert the first 30 seconds but you'll get an impression about what this thing can do for you. It works really well.

I still haven't bought a license because I still hope that there is another freeware solution or BMD comes up with a rewrapper utility or the option to record the DNxHD in a Quicktime container.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:32:54 am

I opened the file perfectly with the Beta Version of Calibrated MXF Import! Its a shot of a water slide with a white hot flash to a spine.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:06:59 am

Presumably you could download the trial version of Avid Media Composer and make QT refs with BM DNX media... good for 30 days

vlc might play it too

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:15:37 pm

if your not using avid media composer. your cheapest option is to download Davinci Resolve Lite, which can read the dnxhd mxf files. then you can convert them to a supported codec of your choice

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:56:29 am

@Dan

Correct. And it is 1080i50.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:21:15 pm

Is there any hope for us early adopters being able to mail in there Shuttle 1's for a chip upgrade? I'd happily pay for it though I'd prefer not to.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:08:09 pm

Hi
The Calibrated MXF Import will come out in the final version within a week so I will have to wait for the demo version :)

Just realized that the Shuttle converts HDMI to HD-SDi and HD-SDI to HDMI and is much cheaper than the standalone mini box converter from BM. And you would need two of them to be able to convert both ways.
Crazy.

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jan 28, 2012 at 4:05:14 pm

I bought a shuttle from B&H the other day and it was the Shuttle 1. I'm sending it back Monday. I hope they are able to identify the shuttle 2 box and send me one.... I would have thought that bh had a high enough turn over they would have had the new one in stock.

Just an FYI for BMD and anyone who might be ordering soon.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:35:04 pm

you know, I think this is pretty crappy marketing strategy used by BMD. They release a crippled version, then within 2 months release a second version. And then they don't identify which model it is? C'mon, that's just plain wrong.They should, at the very least, offer a discount for trade-in to the later version.

Return to posts index

Rafael Metz
on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:53:49 pm

And they do say:

"It is worth remembering that HyperDeck Shuttle 1 is still able to provide
the best possible recording quality with uncompressed video, and that this
is the purpose the device was designed for. It was never designed or sold to
have the ability to record compressed video."

As usual: not false, but doesn´t cover the full story! Marketing talk...

My answer could be: ok, and why is the Hyperdeck Studio able to do it with an update and not the Shuttle? Shouldn't it have been not designed to have that ability, too?
And, correct me, wasn´t there that latent "the shuttle will support other codecs in the future"???

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:44:12 pm

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, HyperDeck Shuttle uses a different chipset to HyperDeck Studio as power consumption is important in a portable device. The bigger chipset in HyperDeck Studio means we can provide a firmware update to incorporate DNxHD support but we cannot do this for HyperDeck Shuttle without changing the hardware. If we could fit DNxHD into the older design, we would have done it.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:24:18 am

I'm not complaining! Your prices have forced other other companies to compete! I have had a 98% up time with Blackmagic design gear...

I did have 4 power supplies for HyperDeck Studios die the other day.... kind of odd... I had 5 of them plugged into a power strip. I used them one night, then shut them down via a power strip. Turn the power strip on the next morning and 4 out of the five didn't working. The one supply works on all of my HDS in what ever I plug it into.... but the other 4 don't work in different outlets or different HDS.... crazy!

I need to get new ones from BMD.....

Besides that, I have been happy with the gear!

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:37:13 pm

Hi - just downloaded the new version of calibrated MXF and it WORKS.
I will buy it when I got a new computer so I do not lock it to my old computer. It seems there is four resets of the software so you can change something on the computer 4 times and then the software ends. I had so much bad experience with this and windows so I will wait until I got a never system.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:00:45 pm

Hi Bo,

Cool - glad our new release can help out your workflow!

The new v2.2.0 release does have BETA support for BlackMagic Design DNxHD MXF files captured by HyperDeck devices. Also there is a new section entitled 'dnxhd options' in the Calibrated{Q} MXF Import User Guide that explains DNxHD workflows in applications (like FCP or AE/PPro) that use Calibrated{Q} MXF Import to import DNxHD MXF files. The section is a little long since we're trying to fully explain in a simplified way a somewhat complicated workflow. I would strongly suggest reading over the section to see how to properly setup Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for any DNxHD workflow.

The 'dnxhd options' section could also help people working with DNxHD .MOV files too in FCP, as the section tries to explain the reasons for color shifts when using DNxHD in FCP. You can download the PDF User Guide in this link User Guide

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Feb 13, 2012 at 10:26:47 pm

Hmm - just tried the audio and it is not there. As stated in the manual 24 bit audio cannot be seen from premiere by the use of the software. Loading of the clips by restarting the project takes a long time without premiere stating whats going on. Hope this will work in the final version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]