FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio: ATEM1 and Television Studio in Series

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Morales
Audio: ATEM1 and Television Studio in Series
on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:35:56 am

Hi

I'm trying to figure out how to properly configure the audio for our studio. We have two ATEM switchers (ATEM 1 and a Television Studio) hooked up in series. Our intent is to end up with an h.264 file of our production. I have read most of threads on here about the audio requirements for the ATEM switchers. So I know the ATEM 1 strips the audio from HDMI and the Television Studio requires the audio to be fed via AES/EBU. However, I'm drawing a blank on how to proceed. Here is our setup.

We have 4 video sources (Panasonic AG-AF100, an Apple TV via Gefen scaler used to mirror a iPad's screen, a Mac for Skype sessions, and a PC for software demonstrations) that feed an ATEM 1 switcher via HDMI. A lav mic (Sennheiser EW112) feeds an analog soundboard that we then feed into the ATEM 1 via the XLR breakout cables. From the ATEM 1, we are feeding the program-out to an ATEM Television Studio via HDMI. We then record an h.264 file from the ATEM Television Studio using MediaExpress.

So here is what I need to figure out. Cost is not a major issue. I just need a technical solution that works.

1. How should I feed the video and audio from the ATEM 1 to the ATEM Television Studio? Do I send the video over via HDMI and the audio from the ATEM1's analog outputs (which would need to be converted to AES/EBU)? Or would sending HD SDI from the ATEM 1 to the ATEM Television Studio work?

2.How would I get an audio mix from all of my sources before sending to the ATEM1 via the analog XLR cable. The audio from the lavalier mic seems straight forward to mix via a sound board that accepts XLR. How would I mix the audio originating from sources that output their audio via the HDMI connection. For example, once I plug the HDMI cable into our PC, the audio is no longer sent via the computer's analog audio output, instead it is embedded into the HDMI.

Is there a soundboard that would accept analog, HDMI, and output the necessary AES/EBU? Do I need to introduce some HDMI splitters that would enable me to send one version of the signal to the ATEM1 and a second version to a converter that would accept the HDMI or SDI to create an AES/EBU version which I would then feed to the Television Studio?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Carlos
morales@purdue.edu

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
Re: Audio: ATEM1 and Television Studio in Series
on Jan 19, 2012 at 7:18:29 pm

[Carlos Morales] "1. How should I feed the video and audio from the ATEM 1 to the ATEM Television Studio? Do I send the video over via HDMI and the audio from the ATEM1's analog outputs (which would need to be converted to AES/EBU)? Or would sending HD SDI from the ATEM 1 to the ATEM Television Studio work?

The easiest way to accomplish this is to feed the analog audio from your mixer to an analog to AES converter, and run its AES output into your ATEM TVS's AES input. That will embed it into the program outputs, and make it available to the H.264 encoder. There are many devices that can do this; I have used the Rane ML1, which can double as a mic preamp if you need it. Since the Rane's output is XLR balanced, you will also need a matching transformer like a Canare BCJ-XJ-TRB or Neutrik NADITBNC-F to feed the ATEM's BNC input.

[Carlos] 2.How would I get an audio mix from all of my sources before sending to the ATEM1 via the analog XLR cable. The audio from the lavalier mic seems straight forward to mix via a sound board that accepts XLR. How would I mix the audio originating from sources that output their audio via the HDMI connection. For example, once I plug the HDMI cable into our PC, the audio is no longer sent via the computer's analog audio output, instead it is embedded into the HDMI.

This is a bit more of a challenge... but one way to do it is to feed the HDMI from the computer to a Blackmagic "HDMI to SDI" miniconverter. Take one of the converter's SDI feeds and send it to your ATEM switcher; take the other to a Blackmagic "SDI to Audio" or "SDI to Analog" miniconverter (either will take SDI in and give you analog audio out). This analog audio can feed your mixer.

[Carlos] Is there a soundboard that would accept analog, HDMI, and output the necessary AES/EBU? Do I need to introduce some HDMI splitters that would enable me to send one version of the signal to the ATEM1 and a second version to a converter that would accept the HDMI or SDI to create an AES/EBU version which I would then feed to the Television Studio?"

I'm not aware of a professional mixer that accepts HDMI feeds for inputs; it would be necessary to somehow de-embed the audio first, which I described above.

Regards,

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Carlos Morales
Re: Audio: ATEM1 and Television Studio in Series
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:55:19 pm

Thank you, Jeff. This approach sounds like it will solve all of my issues.

-carlos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]