FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperdeck Studio MXF files: audio out of sync in Avid

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris north
Hyperdeck Studio MXF files: audio out of sync in Avid
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:41:36 pm

Hello,

I'm capturing material using the MXF format on HyperDeck studio. The media is captured at 1080p30fps.

When I get the resulting MXF media into Avid the audio drifts out of sync.

After a 15 minute clip, the audio is at least 6 or 7 seconds out of sync (ahead of the picture). Actually the end of the audio shows a blank waveform for that period too.

Any suggestions most welcome!

chris

Return to posts index

chris north
Re: Hyperdeck Studio MXF files: UPDATE - Hyperdeck is not maintaining Audio Sync
on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:55:57 pm

We have now discovered that the HyperDeck itself is not maintaining sync. This is capturing via HDMI from a Sony Camcorder at 1080i, 30fps. Same thing if we capture from a PC's HDMI output. Playback on the device reveals audio is drifting. The recording format is MXF. The OCZ disks that Blackmagic recommend will not record uncompressed (not fast enough) so I can't test that.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
Re: Hyperdeck Studio MXF files: UPDATE - Hyperdeck is not maintaining Audio Sync
on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:27:43 pm

I can confirm that.

We had an event yesterday that was recorded on our new Hyperdeck Studio as DNxHD MXF file.

The event was about 90mins long. After 90min the audio was about 2-4sec off sync. We discovered that when we imported the footage into out Avid MC6 system.

Tomorrow I will test if the drifting occurs when I playback the file in the Hyperdeck itself. I'll report that when I did the test.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 19, 2012 at 12:25:00 am

This issue has actually be confirmed with 1080p30 formats by our engineers and we've logged it in our bug system.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:19:25 am

For me this issue occured with 1080i50. SO it is not only a 1080p30 problem.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

chris north
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:45:45 am

Hi Joshua,

Many thanks - that's great it's going to be looked into. I should point out that other resolutions also appear to have the issue, but hopefully this bug fix will address those too.

thanks again!

chris

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:54:18 pm

BTW.

The new Beta2 firmware is available now on the Blackmagic Hompage. Just saw that they put the new version online.

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

chris north
on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:58:46 am

Hi Andrea,

Did you try the update? I've installed it on the Hyperdeck here and the problem is WORSE. Interested in whats happening on yours?

chris

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Jan 20, 2012 at 12:23:51 pm

Hi Chris,

too bad to hear that this issue is not solved with Beta2. I will install the new firmware today and report what happens with our Hyperdeck. I'm in 50Hz land (Germany) too, so I don't expect any other results than you. Too bad!

Regards

Andreas

--

mindandvision

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:43:17 am

Hi Chris,

For the audi to o be ahead of the video in this instance, there must be dropped video frames happening. Can you please let me know if the record light on the unit is flashing while you're recording? This will indicate dropped frames. Thanks.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

chris north
on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:38:04 am

Hi there,

The device seems to record ok, and there is no flashing light to indicate dropped frames or problems with the disk. I have also tried reformatting the disk but the issue remains.

chris

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:30:44 pm

Hey Guys,

We're having problems reproducing this on some of the other formats you are talking about. I'd like some more details.

How are you importing these files into Media Composer? Are you changing the folder structure of the drives (adding the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 folder) or are you copying the files and importing them. Can you explain to me how your doing it so I can run it over here?

Also once they are imported you say at the end of a 90 minute clip, the audio is ahead of the video. Is it ahead on a straight play through or can I skip to the end and still see the offset?

Where are you guys located so I can arrange for someone to contact you directly to get some more details?

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

chris north
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:41:58 am

Good morning,

The current situation for us is that we are capturing 1080p30 from HDMI (PC Graphics Card). The Hyperdeck automatically switches to this resolution and we can see a clear display on the onscreen monitor. During capture, audio and video appear to be in sync. During playback on the Hyperdeck however we notice that the audio is drifting out of sync. After 5 minutes of capture the audio is clearly ahead of the picture by 6 or 7 seconds. Once the files have been taken off the SDD into Avid (and placed in the AvidMediafiles/MSF/1) the audio is also out of sync. Looking at the waveform we can see this, and the last 6 or 7 seconds of the waveform are blank.

We are using OCZ Vertex Plus SSD's.

We are based in Frankfurt am Main and can provide contact telephone if you require?

Hope that helps,

chris

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:27:55 pm

Ah...good...so it is not simply out of sync in the NLE...but actually playsback out of sync from the Hyperdeck as well.

Yes, please email the contact info to support-usa@blackmagic-design.com and please put ATTN Joshua Helling in the subject so my guys forward it to me right away. I will contact you back directly from there.

Because you are in Frankfurt I think it will be best for me to have my manager in the EMEA region contact you. The timezones will line up better. But we will all dialog.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

chris north
on Feb 26, 2012 at 12:49:13 pm

Hi Joshua,

Any news on the 1080p30 bug on the Hyperdeck Studio? It's a month now and no fix as of yet....

chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]