FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperDeck Studio DNxHD + Calibrated = Big Win!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Nethery
HyperDeck Studio DNxHD + Calibrated = Big Win!
on Jan 14, 2012 at 10:31:50 pm

I bought 5 HyperDeck Studios the other day hoping to record as DNxHD for live production. I use 4 of them for ISO and 1 for a Directors cut.

Our work scenario is we shoot 24 1 -2 hour teaching sessions in 4 days and have a 10 - 15 minute break before the next session starts. We do have longer breaks for lunch and dinner... but for the most part, we have a short turnaround time and not much room for error.

We needed to be able to check the video quickly and label it as we copy the files off of the SSDs. I use a beta version of Calibrated{Q} MXF Import to view the files in the Finder. At the time that I bought the software, it didn't support the HyperDeck Studio flavor of DNxHD. I emailed their support and by the end of that night they had updated their app, and sent me a copy. It works perfect.

My shop is still in the process of leaving FCP to Avid MC. So for quick turnarounds, a couple of my guys will cut in FCP. They have been using the Calibrated{Q} MXF Import in FCP with out any hiccups.

My Record loads are 100GBs = 1 hour of DNxHD video

My Gear:
5x HyperDeck Studios
10x Crucial Technology - 256GB m4 SSD
HighPoint RocketRAID Quad eSATA 6 Gbit/s - 4 channels at about 330MBs per second transfer from the SSDs per channel.
MacPro - The Spare CD slot has the OS installed on a Sata drive, and Slots 1-4 are 2TB Sata drive raided 0 by the OS. I get about 420MBs per second transfer rate.

My bottleneck is the internal raid. But I can transfer 1 hour or 100GBs from 4 SSDs in about 20 minutes.

I hope this helps anyone considering buying HyperDeck Studios. I plan to buy a couple more copies of Calibrated{Q} MXF Import. Great software and great support.

dan.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HyperDeck Studio DNxHD + Calibrated = Big Win!
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:07:14 pm

Holy crap ! What a great idea. I love Calibrated, but I thought it was only for MP4 and MXF from Sony and Panasonic. This is FANTASTIC news.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:58:54 pm

Dan,

Are you using any specific rack/dock for the SSDs to connect them to the RAID Card?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:16:49 am

I'm using a StarTech Dock. It's the cheap version for the 4 port dock. This one has 4x eSata connections on the back. I loose about 100MBs a second on the transfer using the dock. But when I'm transferring 4 drives at a time it's still faster then my internal raid on the mac pro.

The dock came with 4x eSata cables...
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-eSATA-Docking-Station-SATDOCK4U2E/dp/B00...

Here is a photo of the last gig I did with it.

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:52:03 pm

Dan - Thanks for the info on the dock.

One more question for you...Are you syncing the HyperDecks to timecode or any other source?

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Dan Nethery
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:39:55 pm

We haven't been able to get TC, so I have someone logging when all of the camers are shooting the same action and the guys cutting just sync by eye. TC Would be amazing!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:16:58 pm

Well, TC is very well doable if you can get audio in.
If you got a channel to spare, use LTC.

But that is my problem with these things, you need an audio embedder as it has no normal sound inputs.

How do you handle that?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]