FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Studio 2 card / switching btwn 7.9.3 and 9.0

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Marlow
Decklink Studio 2 card / switching btwn 7.9.3 and 9.0
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:41:48 am

Hi,

I run a dual-boot Mac Pro (Leopard 10.5.8 and Lion 10.7.2) with a Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 card inside.

Currently I have the Leopard 10.5.8 side running drivers version 7.9.3, and the Lion 10.7.2 side running drivers version 9.0. Reasons for this are I need version 9.0 to work with my Media Composer 6 software and for Leopard, version 7.9.3 is the highest working driver available.

The problem seems to be that whenever I switch between the two boot disks I get a prompt asking me to update the firmware for my Blackmagic card. It happens any time I switch, probably because each side requires different firmware for its different drivers.

I don't mind doing this every time I need to work on a different boot disk, but is this hurting my card my constantly changing firmware back and forth? Any input is appreciated. I'm sure there are others out there doing something similar!

Best,

JD

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Decklink Studio 2 card / switching btwn 7.9.3 and 9.0
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:45:19 pm

May I ask why you still need to run Leopard?

The Blackmagic Driver 9.0 works with Snow Leopard as well as Lion.

You might want to call or e-mail BMD about using v9 with Leopard. It may work just fine, but they might not have tested it.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Marlow
Re: Decklink Studio 2 card / switching btwn 7.9.3 and 9.0
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:54:05 pm

I'm still running Leopard as a backup for my Final Cut Studio 2 system. I have read about people upgrading to Snow Leopard and having trouble with FCS 2. There are also some other older software programs I want to be able to run on Leopard since I know it works on that OS.

I may decide to upgrade to Snow Leopard to see how it goes (but not without doing a Time Machine backup first!).

I emailed BM support and they don't think it's a problem to constantly be changing firmware back and forth on the card. I've asked them about potentially running 9.0 drivers on Leopard but haven't heard back. I'm hoping it's something that could work as an alternative.

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]