FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any word on an arrival date for the SmartViewHD?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Roemich
Any word on an arrival date for the SmartViewHD?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:48:41 am

I have pre-ordered the new BMD SmartViewHD single 17" rack HD-SDI monitor (which the website HAD listed as coming December 2011 until recently.)

My dealer has indicated Q1 2012.

Was wondering if anyone (especially the fine folks at BMD who have been know to frequent the forum) had any more specific information on when I might expect to see this shipping...

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Any word on an arrival date for the SmartViewHD?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:31:08 pm

I can't resist responding to your post.
You will see a review soon on Creative Cow.

The SmartView 17" HD monitor is amazing. Many low and mid end manufacturers of HD monitors will start crying when this gets released.

Look for my review very soon on Creative Cow.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:54:54 pm

Thanks Bob! I suspected there were some floating around out there...

THRILLED to hear you are excited about it. I hate to admit it but it's PRIMARY purpose will be as the MultiView for my ATEM 1ME in my road rack. From your enthusiasm, perhaps I should make sure I put that one on the video router for sending other signals its way...

roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

jj johnson
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:19:24 pm

Been staring at one for a couple of days now as a color correction monitor. I do like it, however it has to be right at eye level and could use more calibration variables like a blue only mode, saturation and phase adjustment. Hopefully those will be updates when it is released for real.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:27:38 pm

Funny... I saw both the 17" and duo versions at a show last November, and it never dawned on me that they weren't actually available yet. They're both pretty impressive... one of the things that I rather liked is that the two ethernet connections let you daisy-chain a bunch of these monitors together to be fed from a single port on your network switch, reducing the volume of wiring.

Can't believe I just wrote that last sentence: I date back to the days of tube-type Conrac monitors (that is, all tubes, not just the CRT)... there's still something a bit over the top about plugging a monitor into a computer network!

Blackmagic's gear is getting so darn shallow, someone's going to have to start making racks that are only half a foot deep!

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Kip Draper
on Jan 12, 2012 at 10:17:37 pm

>>Blackmagic's gear is getting so darn shallow, someone's going to have to start making racks that are only half a foot deep!

4" of depth works great w/ ATEM 1 M/E, but I flip the 1 M/E over so back becomes front making inputs/outputs easier to access, though there is enough clearance if mounted w/ flat, logo side facing forward. But if it's tangle of thick HDMI cable or need to access it fast & often, backside out is best bet obviously.

It's a ~$29, very burly, Startech wall mount bracket* measuring 2u x 4" x 19". I mount it on slanted/exposed wood ceiling beams of a studio at eye level w/ the hinged section towards the floor so gravity does the lowering work if I need to remove 1M/E, etc. This method also gets the 1 M/E out of the rear of a stuffy, noisy rack and into the ambient zone and essentially isolated w/ regard to electrical fields. And my cable routing to stage is mostly over head, so a bonus side-effect is realizing about 10 'new' surplus feet of cable from 4 HDMI & 2 SDI inputs.

*this heavy duty all steel bracket is intended to be used for networking patch panels. However, if mounted it w/ proper bolts, I can do pull-ups on it (I'm @ 150 lbs.) & it doesn't budge. It's not going ANYwhere. There is also a 2u Tripp LITE bracket w/ 16" of depth, and 1u and 4u Startech models (NewEgg) that would appear to accommodate the TVS & the 2 M/E respectively. If you're 100% road warrior, the StarTech 12U 19-Inch Desktop Open Frame 2 Post Rack(Amazon) may do the trick, but I've yet to lay hands on one so I can't provide a proper opinion on this particular quasi-portable rack.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:43:00 pm

[Kip Draper] ">>Blackmagic's gear is getting so darn shallow, someone's going to have to start making racks that are only half a foot deep!

4" of depth works great w/ ATEM 1 M/E, but I flip the 1 M/E over so back becomes front making inputs/outputs easier to access, though there is enough clearance if mounted w/ flat, logo side facing forward. But if it's tangle of thick HDMI cable or need to access it fast & often, backside out is best bet obviously.

I should be a bit more careful about kidding around... that was a tongue-in-cheek comment on my part. Anyone seriously considering using a very shallow rack needs to remember that the ATEM depends on convection for its cooling; unless there is a substantially unblocked body of free air behind the unit, it won't to be cooled effectively. The other thing to bear in mind is that heavier types of coaxial cable like 1694a don't want to bend as easily as a miniature type like 1855a. An ATEM that's about an inch thick, plus another inch and a half of BNC plug on the cable, leaves only room to give the cable something like a 2" bend radius to fit a 4" deep rack -- which is very likely to put excessive force on the connector.

Middle Atlantic used to have a really useful white paper on rack layout and heat management; as equipment gets denser (generating more heat in a smaller space), this is an important consideration.

-- Jeff

Return to posts index

Kip Draper
on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:22:59 am

At-once I appreciated the nature of your statement, chuckled, and my reply was meant as a strange-but-true-&-here's-how, and it's actually not a bad idea for some applications.

In my micro ctrl room (picture a walk-in closet), up high is cooler, less-travelled airspace as opposed to a rear mount to 1 of 3 stuffed 12u rack cases on wheels already exploding in rear w/ wires in ever-flux. Mounting switcher below where beam meets roof + stacking 4 flat Atlona HDMI cables as one, I used the 90-deg angle of roof/beam to guidewire a graceful loop into the 1M/E, w/ far less tension transferred to the receptacles than in its former location. I can work on it at back-saving eye level, it has all the airflow required for a long lifespan, and the icing? The white LEDs now cast 2 perfect eyeballs onto the ceiling (a custom perm-marker mouth was added), allowing me to confirm its status at a quick glance, to which it always responds w/ a smile. :)

Your reply put me on the notion of a 2nd bracket (16" depth here) to move HyperDeck Studio to a more convenient location, maybe on wall of monitors or... So no need for apologies: one man's tongue-in-cheek is another man's cup-o-tea!

Nonetheless, I will assume all fault for veering off-topic on a topic seldom viewed, answered, nor its answer even known by its makers until a few wash-up on a beach somewhere. ;)

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:59:17 am

Hi Shaun,

SmartView HD started shipping in limited quantities in December. We will be able to start shipping larger quantities during the week starting the 23rd of January.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:42:34 pm

Much appreciated Mr. Burston!

I wait with bated breath, especially given the "reviews" above.

roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]