FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM TVstudio input routing??

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Crowley
ATEM TVstudio input routing??
on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:05:41 pm

I have read the manual and even loaded the control software, but without the actual unit to experiment with, it is not clear exactly how the four SDI and four HDMI inputs are routed to the 6 available switcher inputs?

Even the illustrations in the manual (p. 20) only show "Button 1" and "Input 1", but no reference to whether that means the SDI or the HDMI connector?

It isn't that clear for the 1M/E model, either. It looks like only the #1 input channel is switchable between SDI and HDMI. What about the other inputs?

I will admit that it is rather frustrating that so much ink is devoted to explaining "newbie" type things, but seemingly at the expense of hard technical details such as this. Am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
Re: ATEM TVstudio input routing??
on Jan 3, 2012 at 11:10:57 pm

I can only speak for the ATEM 1M/E but the most recent update allows any input to be routed to any control surface (software in my case) "button". A MAJOR improvement over the previous setup.

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

John Fickling
on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:22:35 am

Hello Richard,
I have recently had delivery of the TVS after long wait for supply. I agree with you that it was very hard getting to find all the specifications especially what equipment it would work with. I got the wrong resolution monitor for mulitview. It doesn't actually say unless you read between the lines. Yes I downloaded the software and manual too but it's not operational until the switcher is connected. This makes life even more difficult. Full details should be in the manual along with a good index.

Input Routing for TVS
Input 1 & 2 = HDMI only
Input 3 & 4 = select HDMI or SDI
Input 5 & 6 = SDI only

All the best with the project
John Fickling, New Zealand

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:09:42 pm

First off, this post is based on firmware revision 2.7.1, which changed some of this functionality. If you are running an earlier revision, you will want to first download this and update your system.

If you click the bottom "Settings" tab on the control panel, you will find pulldown options that let you choose the physical source for inputs 3 and 4. Inputs 1 and 2 are always HDMI; inputs 3 and 4 each may be either HDMI or SDI, and inputs 5 and 6 are always SDI. The significance of this detail is how the various inputs map to the multiviewer display. This screen is also where you enter the short and long names for each source; short names are used to label the buttons on the control surface, while long names appear on the multiviewer display.

Once you get the physical sources selected and named, clicking the top menu "File" / "Preferences" opens a window that lets you set which physical source is mapped to each button. The bottom line is that you may assign physical sources to buttons in any order -- even assigning a source to more than one button. You may also select "none" as a source, which greys out and disables the button. Since the keyboard shortcuts (the numerals 1-8 for the preview bus, and SHIFT 1-8 for the program bus) correlate directly to the buttons on the screen, how you set up the preferences also determines how the physical inputs map to the keyboard.

Finally, if you're using the GPI and Tally interface, its tally relays 1-6 always map to physical switcher inputs 1-6, and are unaffected by the button mapping -- this lets you customize your user interface at will without worrying about messing up the tally.

Regards,

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:23:20 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Now if only we can convince BlackMagic that this is important information that should be given prominent place in the documentation (and even the online specs, IMHO). None of the photos are clear enough to see exactly how the four BNC and four HDMI connectors are labeled on the back panel of the hardware.

@BlackMagic people, please remember that this information is not only necessary for configuring the equipment during installation, but it is (perhaps more importantly) vital information for planning systems and even selecting what products to buy and what will play with what. As Mr. Roemich has demonstrated, you can make errors amounting to $1000s because this kind of information is missing or ambiguous or hiding.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hartman
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:55:43 pm

[Richard Crowley] "Now if only we can convince BlackMagic that this is important information that should be given prominent place in the documentation (and even the online specs, IMHO). None of the photos are clear enough to see exactly how the four BNC and four HDMI connectors are labeled on the back panel of the hardware."

I have reviewed a number of Blackmagic products for an online site, and poor documentation has been one of the main critiques for nearly every product. What passes for a manual would be marginally acceptable pre-sales literature for other professional video manufacturers. They make pretty good and extremely inexpensive stuff... but the buyer is making a gamble every time he purchases a new product, hoping that it will actually do what the promotional literature implies. (Or in the case of the ATEM Television Studio, hoping that it actually does what the literature explicitly claims: for instance, though it has been sold for a number of months, it wasn't until a software release a few weeks ago that it could support standard definition formats.)

Two months ago I spoke with one of BM's reps at a trade show about the lack of reasonable manuals; the response was that I don't need manuals, that it was an emotional attachment that isn't relevant today. That attitude shifted my thinking about Blackmagic products, and as a result I'm about to purchase a Ross Carbonite switcher rather than the BM switcher I was intending to buy. Blackmagic is cheap, but I don't dare install it in a mission critical application where I might need product support.

Jeff Hartman
Engineering Project Manager
Newport Television, Northeast

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:20:59 pm

"Two months ago I spoke with one of BM's reps at a trade show about the lack of reasonable manuals; the response was that I don't need manuals, that it was an emotional attachment that isn't relevant today."

The sure sign of a non-technical sales gerb. :-( I try to avoid those people. Lets hope BM their act together if they want to sit at the adult table and sell high-end products.

Return to posts index

Shaun Roemich
on Jan 6, 2012 at 1:27:27 am

I will accept the absence of a PRINTED manual, especially since BMD products are often updated with new features and bug fixes but I DEMAND a pdf or online manual that is updated regularly to explain what my product now does.

To suggest that a product doesn't require a manual is asinine. Especially a highly sophisticated product, like we are talking about here.

Big Dog - Technical Director - Switcher
Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC Canada
roaddogmedia@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:03:47 pm

BM is absolutely TERRIBLE at giving DETAILED info in their manuals. It is a real pain! As awesome as their products are SUPPOSED to be and sometimes are....there are certain things we have to deal with.....one AWESOME reason for this forum, to actually find out real info from people who are trying to use the products. You have to deal with some arrogance from a limited few members, but for the most part....this is the place to get any real info!!!! Thanks to all the COW family.....!!!

You Guys ROCK!!

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:52:24 pm

The FOUR guys from BlackMagic whose pictures are at the top of this forum are deafening by their silence. That is pretty disappointing.

Return to posts index

Kevin Dooley
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:15:21 am

This exact reason is why I am buying a Ross Carbonite over a BM ATEM. The Grass Valley 2200 in our installation just died and I want to replace it with something that is supported by top notch customer service. I don't want it covered today and not tomorrow and I want someone to be available when my equipment needs some kind of support, when I'm actually using it, which is always nights and weekends.

Kevin Dooley
Media Director
Pantego Bible Church

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]