FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wich black magic card is best suited for working with 4k red workflow?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Wich black magic card is best suited for working with 4k red workflow?
on Jan 2, 2012 at 12:26:00 pm

Wich black magic card is best suited for working with 4k red files? Im only interested to use the I/O cards output to ref monitor.

Is it possible to work in a 4k timeline in adobe premiere and have the option to choose between 4k and 2k outputting to the ref monitor?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Wich black magic card is best suited for working with 4k red workflow?
on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:46:01 pm

there are no monitors manufacturered that can display a 4K image - you need a big 4K projector to see a 4K image. (well, there are but I don't think you are going to spend over $50,000 for a monitor).

Blackmagic HD monitors will display a 2K image.

this card is not out yet, but this is what you want (maybe) -
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink4k/

A cheap way to display a 2K image is to get a 30" computer monitor (like an HP or Dell) and use this -
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/

Back on planet earth, people use RedCine-X to transcode their RED files to something else to do the edit, and just color grade in the higher resolutions (this process is called conforming !).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
Re: Wich black magic card is best suited for working with 4k red workflow?
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:21:43 pm

Sure is painful, though, seeing how easy it is to edit in R3D in Premiere- but not being able to see your work on your external display unless you drop them into a Blackmagic sequence and love stuttery playback because Premiere needs to scale you from 4K to 2K on the fly. Especially given how Resolve can take a R3D sequence out of Premiere and let you do color grading, and After Effects can deal with R3Ds, too.

It's just that one missing piece, if you're using a Blackmagic board and want to see your edits on an external monitor in Premiere it seems to me you're out of luck. Otherwise, your entire workflow can stay R3D and work fine.

So, Bob, is what I'm saying true or do you know a working way for this?

I know the backup "Planet Earth" method: like you said, get your R3Ds into something like ProRes. I guess we could even export some sort of EDL/XML thingie and go back to R3Ds for VFX and color grading... just such a huge waste of time and disk space...

Patrick

----------------------------------------
My Los Angeles Digital Agency
Director/Filmmaker Site

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]