FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultra scope and SDI input

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Motta
Ultra scope and SDI input
on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:22:30 am

Been thinking of picking up a ultra scope (pci) for a few months, just have a few questions for those who own one or know about them.

Is the SDI input the only way to feed it a signal to display? Does that mean I need to loop the output of my decklink to the input of the ultra scope? Also I'm running 2 monitors on my mac pro, and still have 2 free DVI ports, is it as easy as adding a third monitor and using that as the output of the ultra scope?

I searched for answers and am still confused. I'm also tempted to just pick up a Tektronix or Videotek HD-SDI vectorscope/waveform combo just to save a pci slot.

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
Re: Ultra scope and SDI input
on Dec 30, 2011 at 4:29:44 am

I'll start off with: If you already have a Decklink card in the system, you can't also run an Ultrascope. The drivers won't install with both cards in the same system. (Or something like that, either way, it won't work)

The Ultrascope (PCIe version, anyway) accepts either HD/SD SDI or Fiber. There's a loop-thru output of the SDI, but that's it. It has an Audio phasescope, which only works with embedded audio.

Return to posts index

Jim Motta
on Dec 30, 2011 at 1:18:26 pm

So it looks like I would need a 2nd computer to run the scope, that kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Looks like the better choice at this point is an actual vector/wfm scope.

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32:37 pm

Really depends on what you want to accomplish. For our use, the cost of the Ultrascope was much less than a rasterizer. We don't have room for a 'traditional' size Wfm/Vector in our environment, and the LCD models are out of our current price range.

For $700 (or whatever it cost) and an old computer, it was well worth it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2011 at 5:18:01 pm

Jim,
you are thinking incorrectly. I am waiting to write a new article on this subject, but I have just found a wonderful way of using the Pocket Ultracope to build an incredible rack mount, complete system for $2000 new. The Ultrascope gives you 7 displays, not just waveform and vectorscope, and the quality is fantastic.

Please be patient. I will let you know all of the details of this soon. As you already know, a Tek or Harris (Videotek) system will cost a lot more than 2 grand.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]