FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Hyperdeck Shuttle capable of recording Op Atom DNXHD files?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:18:23 am

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Is Hyperdeck Shuttle capable of recording Op Atom DNXHD files?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:47:36 am

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, no. Only the HyperDeck Studio is capable of recording DNxHD files.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:39:11 pm

Any plans for it to in the future?

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Rene Folse
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:16:36 pm

I am interested in HyperDeck Studio now that it can save to DNXHD. However, before I do, i would like to know of those DNXHD video files can be edited in Adobe CS 5.5. Searching various forums produced mixed and confusing answers.

Does anyone know if Adobe CS 5.5 can edit DNXHD files in the format in which they are saved on the DyperDeck Studio without any complex workflow issues except for maybe installing the free Avid CODECs?

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:08:56 pm

Hi Rene,

I have a Hyperdeck Studio and I tested the new 2.0 beta firmware.

In DNxHD mode the Hyperdeck is only compatible to Avid Media Composer. NO OTHER NLE can read the MXF files. I tried it with FCP, Premiere Cs5.5, Vegas and Edius but had no luck.

I searched the web for a tool that rewraps the MXF files to MOV files. Because this is essentially all BMD had to do to make the files compatible with all other NLEs.

I think that BMD want to tie this workflow to Avid Media Composer. That is essentially what they told me in their emails.

Hopefully there is a 3rd party company that will write a simple rewrapping app to rewrap MXF into MOV. Until then all you can do is to import those files into Avid Media Composer (V6 or V5.5 or even V5.04) and export them as Quicktime Reference file. That MOV file works perfect in any other NLE.

Regards

Andreas

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:33:54 pm

Andreas, I'm not sure what your complaint is. On the BM website for the Hyperdeck Studio it state, "HyperDeck Studio captures universally compatible uncompressed QuickTime or DNxHD MXF files that can be used with all popular software packages like Final Cut Pro, Media Composer 6, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Resolve and Apple Color"

If you are going to an NLE other than Avid, why would you not just use QT?

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Dec 20, 2011 at 10:10:01 pm

Scott,

you misunderstand me.

I WANT the Quicktime format because it IS compatible with all major NLEs. Right now the situation is that the MXF files that are recorded by the Hyperdeck Studio cannot be opened by any other NLE than Avid Media Composer.

You have no chance to use these files in Premiere Pro CS5.5 or Vegas or FCP.

So you only have the choice to record uncompressed (10GB per minute in 1080i) that is Quicktime based and can be edited with all NLEs or DNxHD in a MXF wrapper (about 1,5GB per minute) that can only be edited by Avid Media Composer. I think this is not a wise decision by BMD.

Cheers

Andreas

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:48:23 am

Ok, I gotcha now. I also agree whole heartedly. I would like to see a compressed high quality QT format (ProRess???) as an option.

I while back I looked around for a way to "wrap" the Avid MXF files into QT and could not find any other way than what you mentioned earlier; by Avid export.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Rene Folse
on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:37:25 pm

Hi Andreas:

Thanks for the info on Hyperdeck Studio. I am always leery of assuming a workflow will actually flow the way I planned without confirmation from someone who actually tried it. In this case it did not end up the way I expected.

I wonder if you tried installing the free Avid CODECS from their website. One of the responses I got elsewhere suggested that I make sure these CODECS are installed as Avid supplies them.

Upon further research of the Hyperdeck Studio in DNxHD mode, I believe that this CODEC will require about 100 GB of space per hour of recording. It is a superior format to HDV or AVCHD that I have been working with so far that consumes about 15GB per hour. The superiority comes at the price of less compression.

But for my purposes, HDV and AVCHD have adequate quality. For me to move to DNxHD would not only introduce the issue of NLE compatibility, but would also increase demands on my archiving space by a factor of 5 to 10 times. So I will stick with HDV and AVCHD for now and pass on my intended purchase of the Hyperdeck Studio.

Too bad because I would prefer to record from the ATEM to a solid state device of some kind. I would buy either the Hyperdeck Shuttle or Hyperdeck Studio if either of them would be compatible with my NLE and have a more compressed CODEC. (Yes this is a shameless hint for BMD). I of course can stream to a computer storage, but I prefer to use an appliance solution for recording.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Rene

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
on Dec 21, 2011 at 9:58:44 am

Hi Rene,

just to clarify the info about the size of the files:

With a 512GB SSD I get about 345 minutes of recording in DNxHD at 1080i50. That is about 0,674GB per minute and 40GB per hour.

I even tried to use a standard HDD drive. That works unfortunately only for playback (in DNxHD mode). When recording the HDD wasn't fast enough and I got dropped frames. I used a Toshiba 2,5inch 512GB SATA HDD for this test. But I was surprised that it even detected the HDD.

Regards

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Balazs Kovacs
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:47:50 pm

Could anyone help me regarding using the recorded MXF files with Hyperdeck with Avid MC 5.5.1? I've even tried to install Avid Codecs LE and PE from MC 6.0, but link to ama file complains that none of the plugins supports importing this type of media. Neither Carbon Coder can do anything with the media file. Hyperdeck Studio 2.0 beta has been installed after avid software, but still no luck.

I would be glad, if someone could help me!

Thanks,
Balazs Kovacs

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:11:24 pm

If they are Op Atom MXF file: Look in your "Avid Media" folder and see what the largest numbered folder is in the "MXF" folder. Create a new folder in that directory with a number; one larger. Drop your files from the Hyperdeck into that folder. Once they are done copying over, launch Avid. It will scan the media folder and create a new database. Once that is done create a new bin in Avid. Go to the folder you created and copied over your Hyperdeck media to and drag the file labeled "msmMMOB into the Avid bin. Your bin should populate with your clips. Seems complicated but once you do it; it is very simple and fast.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]