FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 3D dual ingest

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Gossen
Ultrastudio 3D dual ingest
on Dec 13, 2011 at 10:09:03 pm

One of the features of the Ultrastudio 3D is to ingest "dual stream 3D workflows by capturing left and right eye to separate QuickTime or DPX files..."

When I tried this with Media Express, both streams would not capture or preview unless they were very similar (two different switcher effect feeds from a single camera). I did try this with version 8.6 I think (and maybe v. 9 too) but I can't test it again soon.

I guess I am wondering if I can truly record 2 distinct, separate streams regardless of content to 2 distinct QT files? Initially, it didn't seem to work. Does Media Express look for image similarities that indicate the streams are in fact a Left/Right pair, or should this have worked?

Thanks for the help.

Michael Gossen
Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Ultrastudio 3D dual ingest
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:32:18 pm

I'm going to take a guess here, since I do no work in true 3D post, that the U3D is not looking for similarities in the image but rather a genlocked signal. This is why it may have worked coming from the switcher fed by a single camera. 3G SDI level B requires this genlocked signal as well.

Maybe start there and see what you can come up with.

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:52:37 pm

Hi Michael,

Kris is correct. The two SDI video signals must be synchronised for the UltraStudio 3D to understand them as a 3D signal. Two independent SDI streams will not work since the frames will be arriving at the inputs at different times, and presumably at ever so slightly different rates.

If you need to capture from two independent sources, the only way to do so would be either by using two capture devices, or using our Decklink Duo or Quad cards which would appear to the system as if it were multiple standard Decklink cards.

If you need any further advice, please do contact your regional support team. You can find our support numbers here:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/company/

Or you can send a support request via our support pages:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:58:45 pm

I have actually captured two completely different streams successfully straight from two different camera feeds, but the cameras have to be genlocked together. Did a several hours recording and you can just rename the files afterwards. Worked great and saves having an extra computer/card to ingest an additional stream. Just make sure you press the stop capture and not the esc button or you'll lose the files.

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

Michael Gossen
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:00:51 pm

Well it is good to hear that it has been done. In fact, I am sure the distinct feeds (in one case, 2 different feeds from the same camera via the switcher) were both locked to the house tri-level, which is what lead me to think there was something else going on. I will have to give it another try after the holidays. Thanks for the info.

Michael Gossen
Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:29:29 pm

I had the same question that you did as I couldn't find anyone who had done this before, and was able to do a test before actually recording for real. The two cameras we used were Sony EX-3's, and I just used a horita black burst box, feeding the NTSC genlock to the cameras. If you don't have the black burst, only one signal will be recognized in the Decklink 3D, the one feeding input A.

Using Media Express version 3.03, we selected the 1080i 3D capture input setting and recorded to PRORES422, internal RAID 0 with two drives. Did several hours capture with the stop on dropped frames check box on, and it was fine. But it will stop capture if you lose sync on one of the inputs (ie SDI cable is unplugged from one camera), and will lose the file altogether. So we kept the check box off (Do NOT stop capture on dropped frames).

Two files are created, one has an movie_RIGHT.mov on it. But you can just rename the files afterwards, and it's all good. The audio is only recorded on one stream, but the two files have the same start time, so it's easy to sync them together.

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

jose hipaucha
on May 14, 2012 at 1:32:30 pm

Hi David Iwas looking for the same since a long time. Record two diferent signals at the same time. I have a BM DeckLink HD Extreme 3D but never find the software that records that. You say about Media express 3.03. Cant find it. In the BM site, the 2.3 is the only available for download...

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]