FORUMS: list search recent posts

Revival max RAM... is this 32 or 64 bit?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Lee
Revival max RAM... is this 32 or 64 bit?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:03:23 pm

Hey Guys,

I know our Revival has 24GB of RAM... it is an older one... 4 years or so. What is the max RAM that is supported and is this thing 32 or 64 bit? Sadly I'm not much of a Linux guy.

thanks,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Gary Adams
Re: Revival max RAM... is this 32 or 64 bit?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:29:32 pm

Hi Jonathon. The OS for Revival is 64 bit. One thread can use up to 4GB and Revival is multi threaded. So when processing up to 2K material, we figure around 2GB per CPU or thread is useful. When working on 4K images and doing heavy processing like grain reduction, we like to see more RAM. The rule of thumb is about 2GB per core for up to 2K processing. One thing that limits RAM for Revival is doing any file copying outside of the application. The OS can buffer huge amounts of RAM that is not always released for other purposes. A check of “top” might be useful if you think you are running out of RAM. Also, when doing automatic processing in Revival, it is best to assign two less CPUs in the CPU Setup. This frees up some processing for the user interface. I think you are probably ok with the memory unless you are doing a lot of 4K work.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Adams
DaVinci Revival Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:46:27 pm

Hey Gary!

Thanks.. actually, my questions were related to 4k automatic processing. Our system definitely slows down significantly at 4k. The CPU's are fairly old vintage relatively speaking... it's in one of the supermicro systems with pci-x slots.

best,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Gary Adams
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:34:32 pm

Hi Jonathon. For sure, 4K will be slower. It is 4 times HD if you think about it. But your question makes sense. You may need to run 6 CPUs max for automatic processing given the RAM. To make sure you are not running into swap space, run “top” in a console shell and observe the swap space when the system is slow. There should not be any swap really. Once that happens, the system will definitely get slower than necessary. If you get into swap, the best way is to reboot and use fewer CPUs. If you notice this often, then adding more RAM will help.

Give me a call if you wish.

Regards, Gary

Gary Adams
DaVinci Revival Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]