FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PS3 into Decklink Extreme via Component HD

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Murray
Sony PS3 into Decklink Extreme via Component HD
on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:22:36 am

Hi there,

I am wanting to record game footage from a PS3 via Media Express and am trying to get my Decklink Extreme to see the HD Component output of the PS3, but having no success. I have no problem getting it see a SD (PAL) send from the PS3, but as soon as I setup up the PS3 to output to 720p or 1080i the blackmagic card (and Media Express) goes blank, even after setting the Media Express preference to HD. The PS3 seems to default to the SD setting, but it doesn't help that there's no way of monitoring a PS3 on two separate video feeds (ie HDMI and Component) so you can see what you're doing...

Thanks in advance for any input...

Steve Murray

Return to posts index

Steve Murray
Re: Sony PS3 into Decklink Extreme via Component HD
on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:59:03 am

By way of an update, I've tested the Decklink card with an HD component feed from my camcorder with no problems. Also I've tested the HD component feed from the PS3 into my TV without any problems. It's only when I send the HD feed from the PS3 into the Decklink card that everything goes blank..

Could it be that the PS3 'sees' the Decklink card as a capture device and blocks the HD signal???

Return to posts index

Justin Moy
on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:18:42 am

Connect your PS3 to a HDTV via component and set it up as 720p.

Then connect it to the DeckLink Extreme and in Media Express, set format to HD 720p59.94.

PS3s and 360s seem to default to 59.94 no matter what you set in the system settings. I think the games force it into 59.94.

Return to posts index

Steve Murray
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:18:30 am

Thanks Justin, that worked! Now I just have to get my 50hz PAL head into the arcane world of NTSC and 59.94!!!

Cheers,
Steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]