FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some clarification regarding the Intensity Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Findlay
Some clarification regarding the Intensity Shuttle
on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:52:24 am

Hi. I've been looking at getting one of these for the purposes of streaming PC games, but having checked the specs I'm a little unclear on something and to be frank, i'm not comfortable taking the word of people on youtube who clearly struggle with the concept of a directshow filter.

My plan is this: I have 2 fairly high spec machines. 1 of the systems will be running the game, connected to a monitor via an HDMI cable (with the Shuttle inbetween) at 60hz 1080p, and the other will have the shuttle connected and will be streaming the actual video itself.

Although I only plan to stream at either 720p or 1080p (30fps), I'd still like the image displayed on the monitor to be a 60hz signal, is this possible?

Also just to check, is there any substance to the claims I've read that this box only works with a particular set of motherboards? Both of the systems I will be using are laptops (I've purchased a USB 3.0 ExpressCard for the streaming system), so that may be a problem.

Cheers, Adam

Return to posts index

Ethan Cord
Re: Some clarification regarding the Intensity Shuttle
on Dec 7, 2011 at 7:57:07 am

I've used/tested the Intensity Shuttle on various different hardware. The main problem I came accross was when using any USB 3.0 controller other than the NEC/Renesas (I've even tried the Fresco Logic FL1009 and it failed miserably).

Also power saving technologies can prevent the Shuttle from working. On Intel P67, Z68 and X79, enhanced 'C' states (C3/C6/C7) must be disabled. On AMD 890/990FX, with a Phenom II CPU, C1E must be disabled, with an FX CPU it can be left enabled. Lastly, PCIe link power saving must be disabled in the Windows 7 power options.

Getting the Shuttle working on a Laptop is tricky. A USB 3.0 ExpressCard isn't going to have enough bandwidth, BlackMagic's own support page states: "ExpressCards for notebooks are not supported and will not work. The bandwidth they currently support is not suitable for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro or Pocket UltraScope."

Return to posts index

Adam Findlay
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:08:19 pm

Ah, good thing that USB 3.0 express card was pretty cheap then.

Do you know of any other devices that do what I'm looking for? I do get the feeling that Intensity shuttle was a touch overkill for my needs, but I hadn't come across anything that did quite the same job.

Return to posts index

Adam Findlay
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:43:57 pm

Also just to check I understand correctly, the support hardware is the regular enterprise AV "we can only guarantee it works on this particular hardware" approach? And if I'm understanding correctly, the motherboard issue was more to do with the USB 3.0 controller they had?

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:46:17 am

It works on my Asus G53SW, which uses the Fresco FL1000 Series Controller. Fresco released a new driver back in mid-December, maybe that fixed the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]