FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 3D + F3 = uncompressed 4:4:4 workflow

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoph Tilley
Ultrastudio 3D + F3 = uncompressed 4:4:4 workflow
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:18:44 pm

Hi there,

since I got my S-Log upgrade for my F3 I have been searching/waiting for the perfect 4:4:4 recorder and I was quite sure that I'll buy a Gemini444 when it is available. Now I have built my own setup at half the price of the Gemini with even more features. And it works great!

Read about my workflow here:
http://blog.mxr.at/sony-f3-444-rgb-uncompressed-workflow/

Compared to the Gemini444 workflow there is one big disadvantage: it’s bulky, big, heavy, and you need external power supply – no batteries. But remember: the Gemini 444 records onto SSDs with a max capacity of 512GB. The Gemini can span over two SSDs which gives you a max capacity of 1024GB and a recording duration of approx. two hours. When you shoot more than two hours of footage on set you have to buy additional SSDs or download the footage into a DIT-station which is practically the same thing as my workflow – a computer with a RAID.

Return to posts index

Robin Chilton
Re: Ultrastudio 3D + F3 = uncompressed 4:4:4 workflow
on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:11:27 am

Can you get variable frame rate recording with this workflow? I am considering this setup for studio apps with S-Log 444, but I REALLY miss variable frame rates using my Atomos Samurai. I use Adobe CS5.5, and would hope that Adobe On Location would support this type of workflow. I have my doubts though. Any info you have on the limitations would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:32:18 am

On location doesn't support capture from BMD devices. Premiere does, but you'll need some mighty fast drives. Better capturing 1080p60 through media express. I don't think variable frame flagging is supported though.

Return to posts index

Robin Chilton
on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:36:05 am

I think I'm just saying that OnLocation SHOULD capture from BMD devices. I would actually use it! My initial plan would be to purchase the US3D and a Thunderbolt drive but I don't see a need to go to the trouble if I can't record 60p at 1080p. I already shelled out for a Samurai, but I need material shot in 1080 60p to match everything else I'm shooting. I also want to utilize under crank rates at 10 bit 1080p to recorder but I guess I'm asking too much? Thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:07:31 am

You can capture at 60p. You should probably use Media Express to do so. The variable rate flagging will be lost, I believe. However you could shoot at 60 and crank in post.

I believe adobe has said they don't intend to add support for third party in on location. The problem is on location doesn't have any hooks for capture cards... Only dv/hdv. I've found that scopebox is a handy utility for onset waveform and record.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]