FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraStudio SDI and laptops

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert d'Alexis
UltraStudio SDI and laptops
on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:27:21 am

Is anybody sussessfully using the UltraStudio SDI with a laptop?
I have a Dell Precision M6600 which sort of works with the UltraStudio SDI. When I downconvert a Premiere Pro CS5.5 HD timeline to SD using the Black Magic Control Panel, the image is fine on my external monitor. But when I try to output an HD signal to an HD monitor using Premiere Pro CS5.5, the image starts flashing.
Blackmagic says a flashing image is the result of an underpowered USB 3.0 connection but surely my Dell M 6600 can provide enough juice to power the UltraStudio SDI. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: UltraStudio SDI and laptops
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:44:16 am

Hi Robert,

I think what the support guys are referring to is that the outbound bandwidth of the Dell M6600 is inadequate for uncompressed HD playback via USB 3.0. This is why when you down convert and output SD, it is fine.

We've seen this happen on a lot of USB 3.0 laptops where there is no issue capturing but the video drops out when playing back.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:12:16 am

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on the issue I am encountering. I guess I have no choice but to sell my UltraStudio SDI and take a look at what the competition has to offer.

Return to posts index

Christopher Esclapez
on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:04:51 pm

Hi
I purchased two MSI GE620's specifically for use with the Ultrastudio SDI & Ultrastudio PRO.
Problem: I can ingest SD video fine, but i'm getting image drops (flickering) when ingesting HD video.

I don't think the hard drive is the problem, since disk speed tests run fine, it must be linked to USB3.0 that is not fast enough?
Is this the case & how is this possible beings how this laptop model is specifically recommended by Blackmagic???

Many thanks for your help, i'm at a loss here - is there anything i can do to ingest HD-SDI video using USB3 Ultrastudio on MSI GE 620?

Christo

Return to posts index

Jason Shald
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:43:33 pm

I am wondering about this as well. I have an MSI gtr780 that used to work well as long as I used a compressed codec. Lately, it has tearing on HD video regardless of codec. I wish I knew what "broke" it. No changes to the Renesas drivers.

I am stumped.

Return to posts index

Christopher Esclapez
on Nov 19, 2012 at 7:10:19 pm

@Jason Shald - I don't understand what you mean by "using a compressed codec"? at what point in the workflow can you specify a certain codec?

On my end, I'm having problems ingesting HD SDI video into Blackmagic's capture software Media Express, just tons of dropped frames. Can't believe Blackmagic would recommend a laptop for use with a capture card that can't even ingest HD footage! ridiculous.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]