FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic... When are you going to FIX your cards broken scrubbing with Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cliff Stephenson
Blackmagic... When are you going to FIX your cards broken scrubbing with Premiere Pro?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 4:17:03 am

It's been six months since a lot of us transitioned from Final Cut to Premiere Pro and one of the most BASIC navigational needs is still broken in your cards- the ability to scrub/scan through footage (either in the source window or the timeline) faster than real time using the 'J' and 'L' keys. As it works now, audio speeds up, but the clip essentially still plays back in real time otherwise, making the functionality useless. I use the J and L keys heavily to quickly scan through the timeline or through b-roll or interviews to find moments or soundbites. Aja scrubs perfectly within Premiere Pro, but that card has other issues that I find undesirable. Unfortunately, right now, my workflow isn't determined by with card I love the most, but rather by choosing which card and quirks annoy me the least.

I was one of the happiest editors around when you fixed the no audio during frame by frame scrubbing and was willing to be patient and give you guys some time to work out a few of these other bits. But, like I said, it's been nearly a half a year since then and my patience is really starting to wear evermore thin. Especially for something so basic. I can't use a broken card forever.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Blackmagic... When are you going to FIX your cards broken scrubbing with Premiere Pro?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:26:44 pm

I gave up. Switched to Avid. Scrubbing is beautiful.

I think the problems with the third party cards and Premiere show that Adobe was mainly interested in performance on the desktop GPU and less so with I/O cards. AJA and Blackmagic make great cards...if they are still having driver problems with Adobe...its probably Premiere thats the issue. Will probably get better with CS6, but I couldn't wait.

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
Re: Blackmagic... When are you going to FIX your cards broken scrubbing with Premiere Pro?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 6:52:40 pm

That's what's so frustrating... It works in Premiere with the Kona cards, so if it is in fact an Adobe problem, Aja figured out a fix. So, yes, it's Adobe's responsibility to make sure that PP works with with the various i/o cards, but (imo) it's Blackmagic's responsibility to make sure it works CORRECTLY. As a DIY producer/editor (where I often have to edit, do graphics work, and final mix on my own), there are reasons that I'm currently really loving Premiere, so switching to AVID isn't realistic (especially since I've just spent the last 6 months getting up to speed on Premiere after Final Cut). We're not talking about rebuilding the Decklink cards from scratch, simply hunkering down and fixing one of the MAJOR bugs that exists with one of the main editing softwares being used with it right now (They used it for work on The Social Network- This isn't Final Cut X here). If Blackmagic doesn't fix it, and soon, I'm probably going to be pulling that card out of my system and the next card I buy will probably be another Aja. They seem to be really agressive right now in rooting out all these little problems and getting fixes made.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 20, 2011 at 8:13:13 pm

Many AJA users are still having problems, though they may have licked the scrubbing issue.

AJA is recommending an 8 core machine or better with their products on Premiere. Do you have one?

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:34:48 am

I do have an 8 core with 12GB of RAM. While Aja does have other problems, this isn't one of them, meaning it CAN work. Blackmagic needs to step it up and make the fix.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:42:17 pm

It's not causing your problem, but as an aside, 12gb is way too little RAM for a 64 bit app.

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:52:10 pm

Yeah, when I got it from Apple I was really exclusively Final Cut and it seemed appropriate. I have 6 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 EEC cards with 2 empty slots. How much would you recommend?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]