FORUMS: list search recent posts

BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2.. Audio Confusion?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ienco
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2.. Audio Confusion?
on Nov 18, 2011 at 11:57:32 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I have just purchased a Decklink Studio 2 after bad experiences with the Matrox 02mini.

I am not so much confused, but I am not sure how to go about what I want to achieve?

I understand that the audio outputs are mono but must have a 6.5mm stereo jack plugged into them. That part is clear. At this stage, I am not going into a mixer or any other analog devices. I just want to connect the Decklink Studio to my existing Computer speakers. This is my confusion. The speakers have a 3.5mm stereo plug. How on earth do I go about connecting TWO 6.5mm Stereo leads that are really Mono to the 3.5mm Stereo speakers.. I am quite adapt at soldering and making up leads if need be, but does anyone know the pin out configurations? Or is there some lead/s and adapters I could buy to achieve what I want???

I hope this makes sense. The part that is most confusing is that it is a stereo 6.5mm lead so if I cut off one of the 6.5mm jacks, I only need mono for each one, so which cables in the 6.5mm lead do I use??

I think I am confusing the issue more as I try and explain it, but in short, I want to connect standard stereo computer speakers to the Decklink and have stereo Output..

Would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.. Thank you.

Tony

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2.. Audio Confusion?
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:53:25 pm

Okay...this is actually not quite as hard as it seems. First thing you'll need to do is go into the Blackmagic Control panel and choose the audio tab. Once there, make sure there is a check in the "Use Hi-Fi audio" box. This will set the Audio output of the Decklink Studio 2 to be Unbalanced audio (which is what your stereo speakers are).

You can get a cable like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252302-REG/Hosa_Technology_YPP_136_St...

And an adapter like this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSGPM103

If you use these together you can connect your Decklink Studio to your Computer speakers.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Tony Ienco
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:24:25 pm

Just the info I needed, thank you so much... I was looking every where and searching the net to see it there was a way to make the connection stereo.. Thought surley that would be the logical thing..My ONLY concern it that the Dlink support notes INSIST you must use a 6.5mm, (1/4") in your terms,Stereo Jack or the sound will distort... But what your saying, is that this will turn ONE out put into stereo is that correct???

Thank you for your quick response.

Tony

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:52:25 am

The comment about the using a stereo jack comes down to if you use a mono patch cable it will bridge the negative phase and ground which will cause distortion. But this particular cable just puts both into one plug...so it should be good. But ideally you do want to make sure that your TRS does not connect the negative phase to the grnd. Which will happen with mono cables. Should be fine with stereo.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Tony Ienco
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:10:37 am

Thanks for that.. I actually rang Black Magic here in Australia, and they were not very clear.... I found out from a colleague who has one that ideally, you need to use 2 audio outputs, channel 1 and 2 for example with balanced cables, then go into a Y splitter, for example a two socket 6.5mm(1/4") to STEREO 3.5mm(1/4") This is what I thought, from all the littérateur I have read about the card, but it is so hard to clarify this.. According to Blackmagic, ONE channel output ie: One 1/4" socket CANNOT be made stereo?

Do you know if the above is correct???

Tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]