FORUMS: list search recent posts

Realtime Output from Premiere via SDI

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calvin Johannsen
Realtime Output from Premiere via SDI
on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:18:00 pm

I'm seeking knowledge / recommendations on a television series workflow.

We are currently debating moving our workflow over to Adobe Premiere & After Effects from a former FCP & Autodesk Smoke workflow. The television show is 22 minutes in length, and we are trying to decide if there's a solution to obtain the same turn around time that we're currently using.

Our current workflow, finishing in Smoke, allows us to output via SDI in realtime time to capture in FCP a final ProRes file. The whole output process only takes 22 minutes since we are outputting and capturing a ProRes file in realtime.

Now we are wondering if we can accomplish the same turn around time with Premiere Pro. Once we have done our final color grading, stabilizing and audio sweetening, we would want to the render/export the 22 minute show. Would the best solution be to use an SDI out (BlackMagic), and capture the ProRes file via another method? Or will investing in a high end Nvidia card allow for lighting fast realtime render/export out of Premiere or Adobe Media Encoder with the aid of the Mercury Playback Engine?

Basically the question boils down to, “Can I export from Premiere timeline in realtime to a final file format?”...not realtime to a playback/reference monitor necessarily.

Any help/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Jawad Malik
Re: Realtime Output from Premiere via SDI
on Nov 15, 2011 at 7:53:04 pm

My understanding is that the Mercury Playback Engine helps with rendering effects and layering while editing. It does not help with the render process while exporting the finished sequence.

We had some previous generation HP xw workstations that were awesome back in the day. We put new Nvidia cards in them. Although it helped while editing, MPE was of no help in rendering (or multicam editing when using XDCAM). The final render seems to be CPU bound.

Mercury PLAYBACK Engine is a misnomer. It probably should have been called Mercury Effects Engine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]