FORUMS: list search recent posts

BM Intensity Pro - Red and Green Screen Issue

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel Weber
BM Intensity Pro - Red and Green Screen Issue
on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:30:49 pm

Hello all
I recently bought an Intensity Pro and have color difficulties.
Connected via HDMI to DVI-D with an NEC PA241W Photographic Monitor,
I see only red color in FCP7, when the picture should be black

showing a picture, it uses the same blood red for black, and a complementary green as white.

i'm not experienced with DVI-D signals, so i don't know if there might be a pin missing/broken.
or if there are even multiple standarts around.

Does anyone have experience with such behaviour?
Thanks for advice!
m

Return to posts index

Pichela Michel
Re: BM Intensity Pro - Red and Green Screen Issue
on Apr 7, 2012 at 2:58:22 pm

Hi Manuel,

Do you find the origin of the problem ?

I am very interested in the answer because i have the exact same problem with a Decklink Studio 2 : an ugly red image in 720p, and nothing in 1080P.

If you have a solution... you maybe can help me a lot.

Thanks

Michel

Return to posts index

Manuel Weber
on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:37:47 pm

hi michel

i cannot tell you in precise terms what the problem is.
fact is, i had the problem with the monitoring, as well as in a case where a beamer expected the HD colorspace when instead linear RGB was given.

when giving 4:4:4 SDI to the monitor (in my case the HDlink first) a dual link is needed (both in desktop video).
i think opposite case was with 4:2:2 and single link, but not sure.

hope that helped, the thing that an independent system had the same issue (beamer, just switch the colorspace) led me to the conclusion: i need to know more, and no, nothing is broken... ;-)

best
m

Return to posts index

Pichela Michel
on Apr 8, 2012 at 6:35:27 pm

Thanks for the answer.

But i don t understand : did you resolve your problem ?

Does your NEC monitoring ok now ? And why do you need a HD LINK ? Why don t you connect directly to the intensity pro with a HDMI/DVI cable ?

Thanks for your help

MP

Return to posts index

Manuel Weber
on Apr 8, 2012 at 11:15:42 pm

issue 1:
red and green
issue 2:
framerates and refreshrates.
i needed an hdlink because that device is kindof idiot proof image-ajusting the signal for the connected monitor. i was very limited to the ways i could send images to the intensity pro. that NEC is indeed a good monitor with great presets and hardware calibration. even different broadcast spaces. but it is acctually a photo monitor. no chance with television HDMI kindof standard input (what exactly is HDMI standard nowadays? confused.) i think the intensity pro couldnt deliver 50i or 25p at 50 or 60hz. hdlink seems to read the needs from the monitor or just tries them through. it seems like they say, every monitor works. seemingly to me.

in your case i would check what exactly your monitor needs for an input, and ask if that matches the output of the intensity pro. directly at BM or in the manual.

because of every negative consult with blackmagic and NEC for the given gear i decided for a turnkey combination of hdlink and a decklink with sdi output (for hdlink). i now use display port, but i *think* it would work with the dvi version as well. i think of the hdlink as a flattener and kindof conformer in refresh rates. not sure. but, despite any expectations it will not deinterlace. you get (just visible) interlaced on the NEC if you send it so. this is up to the software, or to a good dedicated device , says BM.

issue 1 remained with the new setup. and was solved with the settings in the control panel i described.
did that help?

best
m

Return to posts index

Pichela Michel
on Apr 9, 2012 at 10:26:33 am

Thanks again for your answer.

I give up trying to understand why my monitor doesn t understant the clean 1080 p signal of Da vinci resolve.

I think i will have to invest more money to make it work...

Your configuration is : Decklink SDI + HD LINK PRO Display port + NEC PA 241 W. Am i correct ?
And it does work perfectly ? At 1080p framerate ?
Sorry to make you repeat, but i just want to be sure before buying a HDLInk...

Return to posts index

Manuel Weber
on Apr 9, 2012 at 3:27:14 pm

hi again

i get a feeling you are in the same state as i was then. just make the damn monitor work.
the NEC support said it was completely not possible to connect HDMI sources. but no further explanations. i learned not much.

yes i think that monitor is a sissy when it comes to input.
*start hypothtetical*
i think the safe way in any case is a hdlink.
*end hypothtetical*

my setup is, and is perfectly working:
decklink hd extreme 3d, hdlink displayport, nec.
you can send whatever you want.
1 downside: the nec sometimes wants to sleep when theres no signal. i think that could be adjusted.

put it this way:
all sdi cards from BM can expected to deliver 100% same standart sdi.
BM answered me to my question, that no card will do a conversion of the sent material concerning interlaced, progressive, etc. it will output the input through sdi as it arrives at the card. given that the image specs are accepted at all (see manual of each card). so when i am not mistaken i am led to think that all the work for that NEC to match is done in the hdlink.

so to be really sure and save money i would do two things.
1. check with BM if a cheaper card does it as well. (is it the same output, does hdlink accept...)
2. check with BM if the hdlink (not only Displayport) will manage the NEC. give them your NEC specs. ask what it does exactly.

i expect the result will be, that the cheapest sdi version of BM decklink will do. i further expect that it wont need to be the displayport version of hdlink, because DP is actually a special feature of the NEC which maps the signal directly to the pixels, without any help from the NEC. and the DVI port was made for any whatever computer.

BM will probably tell you that hdlink will handle any crappy monitor. but its always good to ask naive/desperate/simple questions before buying, even when you get a flat answer. good for giving a device back, just in case.

hope that helped a bit more, dont hesitate.
but i wonder why no superpro has interfered yet in this discussion...

good luck
m

Return to posts index

Pichela Michel
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:27:18 am

Thanks again for this precise answer.

This morning i received an email from BM. Here it is :

"The HDMI output of your Blackmagic product is not compatible with DVI. While
HDMI connections can be compatible with DVI connections, the HDMI output of
our products uses the YUV colour space, whereas DVI can only accept an RGB
colour space signal. HDMI can carry YUV or RGB signals, but with our
products they only output in YUV."

So the HDLINK seems to be a YUV/RGB converter.
The question is : does a simple SDI/DVI adaptor does the same YUV/RGB conversion ?
Whatever the answer is, i am not going to take any risk : i m just gonna buy a HD link when i could.

Another ( last question ) : how do you calibrate your PA41 through the decklink card ? Can you still use a probe ? ( i have the xrite display pio )

Mp

Return to posts index

Manuel Weber
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:34:47 am

"The HDMI output of your Blackmagic product is not compatible with DVI. While
HDMI connections can be compatible with DVI connections, the HDMI output of
our products uses the YUV colour space, whereas DVI can only accept an RGB
colour space signal. HDMI can carry YUV or RGB signals, but with our
products they only output in YUV."

there you have the initial problem. YUV against RGB. that makes sense.
a SDI/DVI may do the conversion of the color space, but you dont know it its progressive then. and what to do with interlaced footage. can you just output it 25p/30p? The PA241W hates interlaced.

xrite uses ICC profiles i think. that is on a software layer. but with video its all about LUTs.
the question is: can you produce a LUT calibration, i think. the hdlink has the ability to import LUTs via USB which could be monitor recalibration information.
another, cleaner way would be the calibration of the NEC itself, since its fixing where something is broken (this screen has SD and HD colorspaces presets), and there is a system independent correction tool in the monitor itself. it'd be happy if you could inform me, if you'd go this way and do a research with NEC. didn't do that yet. i think its a proprietary NEC thing that you plug into the monitors USB ports or smth.

but i dont know

m

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]