FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic UltraStudio 3D with Mac mini, what's the best I can hope for, capture/playback?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Tennant
Black Magic UltraStudio 3D with Mac mini, what's the best I can hope for, capture/playback?
on Nov 10, 2011 at 7:40:01 pm

Let's say coupling with Mac Mini dual i5, internal drive, with Ultrastudio Pro thunderbolt interface capturing into Media Express software from a 59.94 1080 HD tape. Could I capture Prores? Uncompressed?

How about upgrading to the quad i7 server? Or doing external firewire 800 drives?

What are we talking to be able to playback and capture 1080i video?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Black Magic UltraStudio 3D with Mac mini, what's the best I can hope for, capture/playback?
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:42:12 pm

Hi,

UltraStudio Pro is USB 3.0. I think you're referring to UltraStudio 3D?

Anyway, you'll be fine with ProRes. Uncompressed will require a fast drive and the internal drive won't be capable of achieving the speed. You can always download our Blackmagic Disk Speed Test application from the Apple App Store and see how your drive will perform with Uncompressed video.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Vince Tennant
Re: Black Magic UltraStudio 3D with Mac mini, what's the best I can hope for, capture/playback?
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:37:49 pm

Thanks for the info Kristian!

Do you think a mac mini outfitted with a single SSD would do uncompressed 1080i, or are we still not even in the ballpark without Raid SSD?

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:02:16 pm

A single SSD should do it. But they are smallish and pricey. But for 1080i it should work. Again, i'd run the disk speed test on it first as the SSD's have a theoretical speed that is not always matched by the system it's installed in.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

João Santos
on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:33:34 pm

Hi! The mac mini is working well with Utrastudio 3D?

Which model?

I'am planing to buy i5 2.3 with 8 GB RAM and SSD OCZ Agility 3 240gb
or the server is better? Or the one with i5 2.5 with AMD Card?

Please Help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]