FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM mobile switcher, need some input

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Han Nguyen
ATEM mobile switcher, need some input
on Nov 9, 2011 at 7:24:38 pm

Have a few questions hopefully someone can chime in and help.

I've been renting a set-up that includes a Panasonic HS400 and an AJA Ki Pro to record to. Looking at how things are at Blackmagic, I think it's beneficial to invest and build a simple set-up than to keep renting.

So the set-up I'm looking to piece together are: BM TV Studio, 17" Smartview monitor for program out, a 1080p lcd for multiview, HyperDeck Studio, although I really prefer ProRes as the format to edit with. SSD + Uncompressed 10bit seems to be very taxing to the wallet especially with our 4-5hr shows twice a day. Going with Intel 300GB SSDs, that's roughly $1000 per hour and around $10,000 for a day. The cost comes out almost as much as the HS400 and a Ki Pro.

Anyone recommend Atamos Ninja for this type of recording? It's a considerable saving over the Ki Pro and the P2 Mobile Recorder. I'm aware of the lack of pro connections and timecode input on the Ninja but a $300 H4N 24bit/96kHz audio recorder and 5 minutes to sync the audio to my video line cut is a hell of a lot more cost effective than $4k for the Ki Pro.

Another thing about the BM TVS. We have four HPX300 that will be going in HD-SDI, and a Sony FS-100 that is sometimes needed for steadicam and/or jib work for the wide lens flexibility. The funds originally set aside for a 1/3" wide angle for the HPX300 has been steered toward the building of this mobile switcher. I've read a few posts about HDMI distance and the BM TVS and it's not really doable. Would converting one of our HD-SDI closest to the switcher to HDMI, and our FS-100 to HD-SDI for the distance be sensible? This will be temporary for the time being until we can get some 1/3" wide angles and ditch the FS-100 and be able to get some paint boxes as more work rolls in.

I'm throwing a bunch of thoughts down hopefully it isn't too much nonsense. Thanks to anyone for taking the time out to read this and comment.

Han

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
Re: ATEM mobile switcher, need some input
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:13:51 pm

We're doing our first show with the TV studio and Atomos Ninja next week. I'll post and let you know how it goes. Atomos is definitely more affordable, with the added advantage of being direct to edit.

We're using a couple converters to make our cable runs SDI, but if we had the budget, we'd try the BM camera connector setup -- long runs, with tally and talk over a single fiber line.

Regarding the "pro" connection question -- I've become more comfortable/resigned to HDMI as viable semi-pro connector. We did a live web show last month with two HMC-150s going to the switcher via HDMI. One (mine) was even handheld. Only had trouble with the connector on the last day, and it was on the handheld. With gear this affordable, HDMI is going to be a given more and more.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Martin Rose
on Nov 13, 2011 at 2:50:50 am

The Pansonic Hpx300, HS400 and Aja Kipro combo has been working rock solid for us and I highly recommend it.
Have a look at the new Panasonic Hpx250 camera instead of the FS100, this will solve your hdmi issue(sdi out) and will match your other Hpx 300s a lot better.
The Kipro might be more expensive but is tried and tested and is a perfect match for the hs400 with its XLR audio inputs, Audio meters, up down conversion, and you can record all day on a 500 gb drive. Not to mention timecode in and out.
Better to spend the money now, on something you know that will work(because you have been renting it) than taking a risk on new technology and workarounds that one day might end up biting you in the ass.

Martin

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:13:48 pm

We just finished our show, and the Ninja was fantastic. I've never used the KI pro, which looks great, but for size, price, and features, we loved the Ninja.

Easy to setup, and the touchscreen controls were easy and intuitive. Ninja auto-detected incoming video resolution, so recording was as easy as plugging in and hitting record.

Audio monitor boxes are tiny, but readable, and the monitor on the unit made confidence checking a breeze, just glanced over to confirm that the time code was running, meters were popping, and picture matched program.

The ninja does break the recording down into a number of 4GB files as it rolls, but after the show, we ejected the drive, swapped the housing, and loaded it directly into final cut. Ninja comes with two drive trays, so it's easy to carry a backup and/or extra record drive. I did reformat the new drives in the Ninja before recording, but that was fast and easy.

The case it comes with holds everything, and was small and light enough to fit in my carry-on backpack.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]