FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compact VideoHub- User experiences

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Jacobsen
Compact VideoHub- User experiences
on Nov 4, 2011 at 1:05:16 pm

Hi All,

I have a few questions on the Compact Videohub that i am hoping to get some real world advice on from users.

We have a small post house that currently has the following decks:

J3
JH3
D1800
DVCPro HD1400
HVR1500
PAL Digi
NTSC Digi
DVCAM 1500
SP1800 - Via SD multibridge SDI
DVD Player Via SD multibridge SDI
BlueRay - Via HD Multibridge SDI
Alchemist SD
Tektronix WVR
Eyeheight Leagliser
Digital Rapids encoding box SDI
Stradis MPEG player SDI
JVC CRT HD/SD (this is the looped through the 2 cards HD&SD without complete passthrough because I was to cheap to buy the HD switchable card that is more than the monitor)
BlackMagic H264 Encoder
3 x Floating bays for SR Dual Link and HD Alch

Currently we have MUSA patching with every output from every deck on the patch ie D1800 HDSDI 1&2&3character + SDSDI 1&2&3character.

Ref is handled via BM boxes and separate patch bay, as is RS422 on a patch.

We have 9 suites (FCP) with a combination of Kona3, LHI, LHe, and BM declinks (for cutting stations), Kona used for mastering and RGB.

This has all worked well, apart from dodgy patch cables from time to time.

The problem is that at busy times (more often than not) the patch panel is like a 3d maze of wires and we have the stress of manoeuvring patches in and around important transfers.

So is the Compact videohub the solution, I like that it can DA to any port.

My Questions:

I would like to have the monitors/projectors (via hdlinks) in the suites on the patch (they are currently looping through out of the suites) that way I can have more flexibility to the monitors. Would there be a delay to them (cable runs at max are about 50ft) if we ran every suite to the router then back to the monitors on the router?

Can you set up groups for dual link and single link on same ports?

How does the unit handle multiple standard signals running through it (basically all of them at one time 108023.98/25/50i/60i/PAL/NTSC)

Would it work ok if we were using sync on SDI input for some decks/suites and other externally referenced? (we don't need frame/field accurate switching)

Are there any gotcha's in the day to day use of the software? (there would be 8 people using the router).

Ideally i would like the Broadcast videohub for its RS422 ability but we can live with the manual RS422 and the Compact hub seem really good value.

Do you think the hardwear panel is essential for the machine room or can you get away with the software only?

many thanks for your experience with the day to day use of the video hub and its software.

Clayton

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Compact VideoHub- User experiences
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:24:29 pm

REPLIES BELOW -

My Questions:

I would like to have the monitors/projectors (via hdlinks) in the suites on the patch (they are currently looping through out of the suites) that way I can have more flexibility to the monitors. Would there be a delay to them (cable runs at max are about 50ft) if we ran every suite to the router then back to the monitors on the router?

REPLY -
NO - no delay

Can you set up groups for dual link and single link on same ports?

REPLY - I don't know. Only used single link (normal HD-SDI)

How does the unit handle multiple standard signals running through it (basically all of them at one time 108023.98/25/50i/60i/PAL/NTSC)

REPLY - works fine - you can do 720p and 1080i mixed without issue, because you are just ROUTING signals. This is not a switcher like the ATEM.

Would it work ok if we were using sync on SDI input for some decks/suites and other externally referenced? (we don't need frame/field accurate switching)

REPLY - you don't need sync at all. You are not doing "clean" vertical interval switching with this - are you ? You need sync on your VTR's and edit systems - you do NOT need it on the router.

Are there any gotcha's in the day to day use of the software? (there would be 8 people using the router).

REPLY - no. It's easy.

Ideally i would like the Broadcast videohub for its RS422 ability but we can live with the manual RS422 and the Compact hub seem really good value.

REPLY - you will miss the RS422 ports. You will miss the expandability.

Do you think the hardwear panel is essential for the machine room or can you get away with the software only?

REPLY - you will find that most people don't even use the hardware panel - once you get used to the easy to use menus, that is all anyone will want to use. The buttons are too limiting.

many thanks for your experience with the day to day use of the video hub and its software.

REPLY - the videohub is an amazing product. I still use patch bays to normal thru all the crosspoints, in case the videohub drops dead one day. That day has not come yet, but one day it will fail, and the manual patching will still be there. Nothing is fail proof - not your cables, not your patch points, and certainly not router electronics.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Clayton Jacobsen
on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:22:00 pm

Hey Bob,

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions it is greatly appreciated.

Clayton

Return to posts index

Clayton Jacobsen
on Nov 6, 2011 at 4:26:39 pm

Hi Bob,

One additional question, is a SDI port that is unassigned on the router considered terminated by any equipment connected to it i.e. the loop through on our tektronix WVR.

many thanks,

Clayton

Return to posts index

joppo te veldhuis
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:56:17 am

bit late, but:
i have a compact 40-40 BMD sdi switch.
it does dual link 10bit, and even dual link 12-bit RGB. (not official supported though)
i also use it for capturing streams from one computer to another and its always seemsless. also in 12bits.

http://www.degrot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]