FORUMS: list search recent posts

FYI - BLACKMAGIC does not support PAL PROGRESSIVE video

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
slobodan milivojevic
FYI - BLACKMAGIC does not support PAL PROGRESSIVE video
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:20:18 pm

Hi guys, sorry for double posting, but I just want to share this issue with everyone.

I just have received the most ridiculous answer from Blackmagic.
According to them BLACKMAGIC HD EXTREME does not support PAL PROGRESSIVE sygnal, and that's why I get deinterlaced output on PAL monitor and DIGIBETA dubs......Strange, but true..... :)

See below:
Hi Slobadan,

Thank you for your email.

The Decklink HD Extreme cards do not support progressive PAL signals. The outputs will always show an interlaced output if you are feeding it with PAL. I’m afraid that there is no way I can think of to get around this as it’s simply not something the card supports.

If I can help further however, please do get back to me.

Regards

xxxxx xxxxxxx
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Director/Editor/Postproduction manager
@ Talking Pictures productions Bahrain
http://www.youtube.com/bobansky

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: FYI - BLACKMAGIC does not support PAL PROGRESSIVE video
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:04:50 pm

Strictly speaking PAL is an interlaced format (we generally use the component version defined by ITU-R rec.601, only transmissions are actually encoded into full composite PAL). So Digibeta only records PAL (or NTSC) interlaced.

I think that most people regard "PAL progressive" as an interlaced signal where both fields together represent a progressive source, e.g., film.

So I don't think that it's entirely unreasonable for Blackmagic to not support a fully progessive 576line 25fps output as there is currently no tape format (at least not a standard one) that can record it.

Deinterlaced output on a PAL monitor or Digibeta dub is a different issue, and one that you need to be very careful about describing what's happening - do you mean that what's on the output is field dropped, i.e., one field of each frame is being used for both fields of the output?

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
Re: FYI - BLACKMAGIC does not support PAL PROGRESSIVE video
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:45:10 am

Hi Andrew....

please see my new post below, so you can get a clearer picture of what is my problem.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/878205

I understand that PAL is interlaced format by standard, but in that case BMD should have some solution to make progressive videos (mostly animations) going out of their hardware correct, and not jagged and deinterlaced.

To be honest, I do not know how to use waveform to check is this ok sygnal quality, but visually I can see that Progressive video going out on BMD is shown as deinterlaced, without proper re-sampling to interlaced video....

Director/Editor/Postproduction manager
@ Talking Pictures productions Bahrain
http://www.youtube.com/bobansky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]