FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM Audio/Video Delays

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronak Desai
ATEM Audio/Video Delays
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:38:00 pm

Just to be safe I wanted to find a solution for delaying audio in case the ATEM has 2-3 frames (give or take) of delay. I found the Behringer FBQ100 but the only concern I have with it is that it only has one XLR input whereas most sound mixers give Left and Right XLR Outputs and the ATEM also accepts both Left and Right XLR.

How would this work?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ100.aspx

Return to posts index

Philipp Weber
Re: ATEM Audio/Video Delays
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:46:05 pm

Hi Ronak,

This will work very fine. You'll need one for each channel.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:17:49 am

While not technically correct you could Y the single output and feed an input to each channel of the ATEM. This would provide equal left and right audio to you output devices. ...or preferably use a mixer that has stereo or dual outputs.

Our experience has been that the ATEM does not introduce significant delays especially if you genlock the inputs. It is noticeably better than the Tricaster XD series which we have used. We have noticed that some cameras do introduce up to a frame or more of delay when set to output at certain resolutions. Also if your output is a video projector, they are notorious for 2-6 frames of delay. It is cumulative to every device in the chain.

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Ronak Desai
on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:36:32 am

Thanks for the feedback.

My sources will be 2 Canon HF G10's, and 2 PCs with HDMI output so I won't be able to genlock anything. I suppose I'll have to buy two delayers for Left/Right because I'll be doing a production around gaming and audio orientation is a major component.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:13:08 pm

You did not indicate what the destination is from the ATEM. I really doubt you will more than a frame of delay (33ms) which is not discernable. I would try it without the delays first.

My $02 worth

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Nov 1, 2011 at 5:24:05 pm

If you run a Genlock signal feed to the ATEM and your cameras you will improve the situation as well. Our unit is now at 0 frames delay in HD and 1 frame delay on conversion to HD Component. Even a straight PAl sd out is acceptable.

Regards,

John

Return to posts index

Ronak Desai
on Nov 1, 2011 at 10:18:43 pm

All for inputs are via HDMI, 2 Canon HF G10 and 2 PCs. The output will be HDMI to an active HDMI Splitter to TVs and another PC with an Intensity Pro (we've had it for a while so no sense purchasing another capture card just for SDI right?). There might be a few HDMI to SDI converters in the mix. I'm not sure if there is a way to genlock HDMI sources.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:58:38 pm

Ronak,
You are right in that your sources cannot be genlocked externally and so you must use the frame synch capability of the ATEM. This means you will incur a 1-2 frame delay which is 33-66msec. If you connect your audio source into the ATEM switcher it will be aligned with the video at the output. ie both audio and video will be time shifted by 33-66msec. If you delay the audio prior to connection to the ATEM, the audio will be further shifted. You would only shift the audio if you were trying to align with the stage and a video display on the stage and with only 1 or 2 frames of delay, I would dare a mere mortal to see it with the naked eye. I am not sure, but I do not think HDMI to SDI converters introduce additional delay. Beware of HD to SD converters as they can introduce additional delay.

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Ronak Desai
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:10:28 am

I had no idea the time would automatically be shifted, that's perfect. Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]