FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyper Deck Studio Frame Accurate Layback from FCP 7

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Carman
Hyper Deck Studio Frame Accurate Layback from FCP 7
on Oct 15, 2011 at 2:52:47 am

Hi all

We're looking for frame accurate and controllable layback solution from FCP 7 via RS 422 to be a replacement for HDCAM SR output for tapeless delivery through our Harris DL860. Questions

1. Will the Hyperdeck studio bee seen as a deck from FCP 7 with device control?

2. Whats the minimum SSD speed recommended ?

3. Not clear to me can I transfer file from Hyperdeck studio with out having to pull the SSDs?

Thanks

RC

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Hyper Deck Studio Frame Accurate Layback from FCP 7
on Oct 15, 2011 at 10:47:10 pm

Are you wanting a DDR to do frame accurate insert edits? Good luck. Especially if you want to see pre and post rolls. I'm not sure if the 422 control on the hyperdeck is supposed to be for capture or playback.

EVS in edit/rec works under 422 control (by creating a new clip every time you are in 'record' and putting it in the right place in the playlist that is the record tape). Abekas had some solutions that never quite worked.

The interest in this went away with 'linear' or 'tape' editing... not to say it wouldn't be useful (eg. if you wanted to fix a typo in an hour long quicktime...).

Mind you editing with the EVS in edit/rec is neither linear nor tape ;-)

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:41:27 am

Hi Trevor -

Doesn't need to be frame accurate insert edits. I just want to be able to lay off through the DL 860 to a file but I want to have it be frame accurate i.e. bars and tone at 58:30 show start 1 hour etc.

We've been doing this with great success with the AJA Ki Pro but I would like to have uncompressed capabilities through the HyperDeck Studio.

Obviously the question is why not just export a file - of course you can do that the reason is that no software legalizer comes close the DL860 and as 99% of our work is for broadcast and those outlets are increasing going tapeless for delivery we need a 100% perfect way of outputting legal tapeless deliverables with having to go to SR thru the DL860 first and reingest

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Oct 26, 2011 at 9:08:55 pm

Well the beauty of the insert edit would be the ability to fix a typo / drop-out without laying the whole show off.

Blackmagic should be able to give you an answer as to whether the HyperDeck RS422 is supposed to control a VTR, or be controlled like a VTR (or hopefully be able to swing both ways).

Workaround would be to crash record and modify the timecode of the QT the HyperDeck makes to match your desired start.

Otherwise you would need to get timecode out of FCP7 into the HyperDeck. FCP7 does not support RP188 (TC over SDI), nor is it likely to in the future.

You could output LTC from an audio track and feed it into something like this to insert it on the RP188. Very cumbersome workaround though.

I'm with you on real-time outputs versus rendering to file. Bonus is you get to watch it through as you make the master.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]